flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > Polish music?

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
OzzY

OzzY
Can someone tell me good polish music?
Especially polish rock bands.

Thanks
Post 04 Feb 2007, 02:08
MHajduk

MHajduk
I suggest You to listen Polish band "Bracia" (eng. "Brothers"), which was created by brothers Piotr and Wojtek Cugowski:Regards. Very Happy
Post 04 Feb 2007, 10:53
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
tom tobias

tom tobias
Henryk Goreski: symphony #3
Unlike the genre performed by "rock bands", this symphony will still be performed a century after our deaths....
Try it. Maybe you will find it boring. Ok, no problem. Come back in ten years, try it again, maybe your tastes will change.
Gorecki wrote this particular composition in the middle 1970's. Why not listen to some Polish "rock bands" compositions of that era, to compare....Popular music is to music as mashed potatoes with mashed carrots (which we ate as infants) are to AMEIJOAS NA CATAPLANA ALGARVE. Smile
Post 04 Feb 2007, 11:08
MHajduk

MHajduk
tom tobias:
tom tobias wrote:
Henryk Goreski: symphony #3
Exactly Henryk Mikołaj Górecki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henryk_G%C3%B3recki), where "ł" is pronunciated like English "w" and "ó" - like English "oo". Very Happy

I'm impressed by Your knowledge about Polish classical music. Very Happy OK. I give You the next (more "classical") example.

The most famous (in Poland) Polish composer of our times is Piotr Rubik: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Piotr+Rubik&search=Search
Post 04 Feb 2007, 11:23
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
Quote:
Gorecki wrote this particular composition in the middle 1970's. Why not listen to some Polish "rock bands" compositions of that era, to compare....Popular music is to music as mashed potatoes with mashed carrots (which we ate as infants) are to AMEIJOAS NA CATAPLANA ALGARVE.
tom: not all rock music was popular. Listen to earliest records of various "rock" styles. And classical music was "popular" too in it's times, don't forget about this. Some rock songs survived for 50 years and are still pretty popular.

Also, many rockers were practising their musical skills 24/7, and became just as good composers as classical music ones. Just way of expressing themselves was little different, probably less fitting your feeling. As for example, i suggest you to listen some newer stuff from Uli Jon Roth (big fan of classical music too)
Post 04 Feb 2007, 17:02
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
donkey7

donkey7
OzzY:
you can for example go to: http://rmf.fm/muzyka/gwiazdozbior/

site is in polish but you should have no problems exploring it. it contains list of artists (not only polish). to distinguish from which country particular artist come from, look at small box with label 'kraj:'. if it says 'Polska' then he's from poland. at the bottom of page there is table named 'najważniejsze utwory'. it's a list of most important songs, some of them have image of small speaker on left. if you click on them there should play a short piece of song.

sorry, but there's more non- polish artists Sad

btw: did you (all) know that Chopin is a Pole? Smile
Post 04 Feb 2007, 22:40
MichaelH

MichaelH
tom tobias wrote:

Unlike the genre performed by "rock bands", this symphony will still be performed a century after our deaths....

As Neil Young once sung, "rock and roll will never die"!

Tom, unlike you, I don't have any bias towards any type of music and believe there is plenty of evidence mounting that the classic rock songs will last forever along with many other types of music ..... except country music of course, cause that's complete garbage Wink
Post 04 Feb 2007, 23:17
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
MichaelH: There is also a *real* country (not the fire/tent one), which is somewhat like rock'n'roll. Listen some Johny Cash for example.
Post 05 Feb 2007, 01:42
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
tom tobias

tom tobias
MichaelH wrote:
Tom, unlike you, I don't have any bias towards any type of music ...
Umm, I listen to, and enjoy, the music of

Hank Williams
Garth Brooks
Randy Travis
Willie Nelson
Waylon Jennings
Bob Dylan
George Strait
Clint Black
Tim McGraw
Post 05 Feb 2007, 10:10
MHajduk

MHajduk
I forgot to give You address of Piotr Rubik's homepage: http://www.rubik.pl/indexeng.php Smile There You can download videoclips and audio files with his music.

Voilà! It's my 100th post!
Post 05 Feb 2007, 10:17
tom tobias

tom tobias
MHajduk wrote:
Piotr Rubik's homepage
Thanks! Umm, He has his hair in his eyes, makes me wonder if he reads music, or just waves his arms about? The blonde hair looks artificial....Hmm. I like Chopin's music, his hair, and his eyes....
Post 05 Feb 2007, 10:23
MHajduk

MHajduk
tom tobias:
tom tobias wrote:
Umm, He has his hair in his eyes, makes me wonder if he reads music, or just waves his arms about?
tom tobias wrote:
The blonde hair looks artificial...
Yes, if I know correctly, he isn't natural blondie. Very Happy
Post 05 Feb 2007, 10:33
MichaelH

MichaelH
My apologies Tom, I didn't mean to offend. I assumed that telling you that you were bias and then instantly showing you I was also bias was kind of funny .... obviously not that funny.

Guess music is like religion, everyone has their own view of what is the best..... except that with music, ROCK RULES Wink
Post 05 Feb 2007, 20:55
tom tobias

tom tobias
Quote:
I didn't mean to offend.

first, I don't take offense so easily. I am a bit thick skinned, or, as some would argue, mentally not so sharp....
Second, you wrote nothing offensive, a person ought to be able to express their opinions, without fear of hurting someone else's opinion!!!
Third, as I am a living bias, or at least a to-bias, then, I am entitled to bias in all matters.....
Finally, with regard to musical tastes, I suggest listening to the Beatles' music: or Rolling Stones: or whatever, : not terrible, not bad, not awful, but, compare the HYSTERIA surrounding their performances, with the quality of Bach's Italian concerto, for example, (copied from Vivaldi), or Cesar Franck's chorale number 3 in A minor, or Sergei Prokofief's "Alexander Nevsky", or Edvard Grieg's sonata for violin and piano, before concluding "Rock Rules". Personally, I like rock music, for example, Lionel Richie, or Air Supply, or Abba. I find it charming, attractive, interesting, stimulating, soothing, gentle, and wonderful. It just is not even CLOSE, however, to the feeling of euphoria upon hearing Rachmaninoff, or Mahler, or Bruckner, or Shostakovich, or Barber--how about his violin concerto--is that not the definition of great, or what!!!!
I would not trade all the "rock music" in this world, for even one opportunity to hear Boito's masterpiece "Mefistofele".
Post 06 Feb 2007, 21:46
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
tom: to educate YOU a little this time:

Abba is certainly not rock music. I don't know two other to judge them, but i bet they are not too. Just like many today's bands which love to call themself so. Verb "to rock" when it was coined in this meaning, meant extremely exxagerated crazy twisted way of having fun, and in paraller to have sex. Rock bands often use this term in both meanings together.

For band to be "rock band" (in original meaning), they must be completely crazy in their music and onstage.

In 60s it started with band Savages, who revised 5-years-old rock'n'roll. You can link most of famous early 60s rock bands to them. They were extremely crazy, you can listen to their music, or read about their live performaces.

Later bands which liked this style started to sound harder (thx to Hendrix and Blackmore), and to differ style from older mainstream bands. This resulted into what was called "rock music" in 70s. Unfortunately, this also included bands that had nothing to do with original meaning of "rock".

In my opinion, punk bands in late 70s, altough their complete lack of some musicmanship, were closer to "rock" than Pink Floyd.

For me, names of styles like "slow rock", "soft rock", etc. sound just like "soft gore", "christian black metal", "melodic grindcore" etc...
Post 06 Feb 2007, 22:49
MichaelH

MichaelH
Quote:

I like rock music, for example, Lionel Richie, or Air Supply, or Abba.

Tom you've just insulted everyone who like rock music Smile

I belong to a choir (tenor), so I understand what you mean when you say "the definition of great, or what", but in the end, I'd rather rip out rock songs and completely trash my voice than too have too put in endless hours of practice to get a "perfect" sound that classical music strives for. So I state again, ROCK RULES!!!!

BTW, can you imagining a typical country music song -

I shot my dog
I shot my kids
I shot my wife
I am so sad
OoooooH life is bad ..... etc

with an orchestra in the background ..... but who really knows, maybe I'm onto something Smile
Post 07 Feb 2007, 05:19
rugxulo

rugxulo
AFAIK, rock music was a cross between rhythm and blues, blues, and hillbilly/country (rockabilly?). It was born in the early '50s when electric guitars first appeared (1952 - Gibson Les Paul, 1954 - Fender Strat). Heavy metal was originally used to describe Black Sabbath (or maybe Deep Purple? I forget). Jeff Beck (Yardbirds, Jeff Beck Group, solo), though, is often credited with originally using distortion with his amplifier. (Okay, my rock history is a bit rusty, but whatever.)

P.S. MichaelH, tenor? Like Richard Patrick (Filter, Army of Anyone)? Not bad! Laughing
Post 07 Feb 2007, 13:42
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
Quote:
AFAIK, rock music was a cross between rhythm and blues, blues, and hillbilly/country (rockabilly?)
yes, wildened mixture of these styles became "rock music" (today called just "rocknroll"). But it was little later when rock (rocknroll) really differentiated from these styles, in 55 and 56. In my opinion, the real pioneer of rock was Jerry Lee Lewis. You can trace influences of ALL rock bands back to this guy Laughing
Post 07 Feb 2007, 16:14
MichaelH

MichaelH
Quote:

P.S. MichaelH, tenor? Like Richard Patrick

Probably not Wink

I recommend anyone who thinks they can sing ( not like the nutters that turn out for American Idol who think they can sing but can't ), to join a local choir. When I was told about my choir, my original reaction was, naw, I don't want to sing religious songs with nutter religious people Wink but it turned out they sang all types of music. It's brilliant to go to a show and be in the front row but it's even better to be in the middle of the altos, bass and sopranos and hear how what they sing affects what you sing. It really is a lot of fun and I found my singing improved heaps.

I really love rock music with a powerful choir and orchestra, it's amazing when classical music and rock music mix. IMHO these two types of music are made for each other.

So anyone who can sing in key, get along and join your local choir, you won't regret it!
Post 07 Feb 2007, 20:49
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
too bad it's so hardened to train up your skills without conforming....
Post 07 Feb 2007, 21:22

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: