flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > define: what is God

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
God,
many people use the word "God", but each people understand this word with their own interpretion, so the idea of this thread is to gather your defination of God.

God.
1. total power (if not, no point to call God ~ God)
~ anyone want to pray to a God that couldn't do this or that?
2. only one God, if more than one, the 1 defination would break.
3. exists before anything
4. extreme incredible power like number, no end, infinate.
Post 01 Feb 2007, 12:29
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
"god"="dog" backwards Evil or Very Mad Wink
Post 01 Feb 2007, 12:41
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
rugxulo

rugxulo
God is love (Deus caritas est).
Post 01 Feb 2007, 13:09
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
shoorick

shoorick
when people say "god" they mean an invisible "person" who can magically influence on situation, help or mess, or just to be a witness or friend. who is god, how many of them exists or none - depends on accepted cosmogony. some religions allow parallel existance of other religions with other gods, some denies (last are usually agressive).
this do hard of general definition of term "god" and his properties.
Post 01 Feb 2007, 13:17
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
rugxulo: so next time i am with my girl, i can say "I god you babe"?
Post 01 Feb 2007, 13:22
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
tantrikwizard

tantrikwizard
rugxulo wrote:
God is love (Deus caritas est).
You've got to be joking. Love is an emotion caused by the way one chooses to see a thing. This definition is contradictory to your fantasy about a creator blood thirsty individual. Love does not exterminate large groups of people. Love is tollerant and forgiving, not vengeful, jealous and wrathful. Get it together you kookoo. You've been programmed to believe that genocide, disease, starvation and all the good tidbits of the bible are love. Quickly seek a psychiatrist.
Post 01 Feb 2007, 13:26
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
shoorick

shoorick
well-well, guys... i do not believe we can find here an answer satisfied everybody. it has to be personal decision. there are a lot of places in inet to get different info on this, but i suppose here will be just a new greate wave of flame, thus suggest do not continue such discussions.
Post 01 Feb 2007, 13:33
rugxulo

rugxulo
"Spare the rod and spoil the child".
"He [God] rebukes who He loves".
"Better an open rebuke than a love that remains hidden". (Proverbs)

discipline: education or formation that dispels ignorance and corrects vice

Love is actually a decision, an act of the will. We have to decide to be either patient and kind (or mean and nasty).

tantrikwizard wrote:

Quickly seek a psychiatrist.

What if the psychiatrist I'm visiting is Christian? Surely the medical board didn't discount them just because they believe in God. Certainly, they went to the same medical schools as everyone else. Do you automatically discount them because they're Christian? I wouldn't, even if they were atheist. (Beggars can't be choosers. If the only person to fix your car is Christian, who's gonna be too stubborn to let them help? Sit in the rain with a busted tire if you want. Me? I'll take the help.)

EDIT: vid, no, but only because God is a noun (concrete, not abstract).

Last edited by rugxulo on 03 Feb 2007, 18:59; edited 2 times in total
Post 01 Feb 2007, 13:37
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
Quote:
EDIT: vid, no, but only because God is a noun (concrete, not abstract)

so i can say, "When i'm with you, i feel god", right?
Post 01 Feb 2007, 14:34
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
the idea of this thread is becoz i saw most "religion" or "God" thread always end up "(#$@$#@" because they are using the same word but different meaning on each side.
maybe by getting the people to agree on one defination, we can solve future "God" related thread Wink

Quote:
some denies (last are usually agressive).

or some denies (last are usually more logical?) Very Happy
Post 01 Feb 2007, 14:47
MCD

MCD
vid wrote:
"god"="dog" backwards Evil or Very Mad Wink

Nice coincidence, now you know where my nick comes from Very Happy

I define god as something that exists, but can't be defined.

-||__/
.|+-~
.|| ||
Post 01 Feb 2007, 17:30
asmfan

asmfan
Lots of Religions... Another question - "How many Gods do You have?")
Post 01 Feb 2007, 18:39
RedGhost

RedGhost
asmfan wrote:
Lots of Religions... Another question - "How many Gods do You have?")

Just one, me. When I look into the mirror I see him in all his beauty and glory.

Post 01 Feb 2007, 18:59
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger Reply with quote
OzzY

OzzY
I think God is just the nature itself and its law and physics.
It's not a living thing and can't change one's life, but it's the mix of substances that make life possible.

I'm not very religious, but if there's a God it would not be how church tell us to believe.

Everybody creates their own Gods and make war for it. Nobody ever agrees. Is it God? I think a real God would not allow religious war.

If everybody believe in their God, Jesus, Allah, whatever, then who is right? What is the real God?
Also, why people try to make Gods look like humans. Why God can't be a cat or a dog or a plant? People think the world was made just for humans. People are dumb and think they're smart.

That's my opinion! Very Happy

Also, watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVihDapv3mY
Will make you rethink God, yourself and mankind! Laughing
Post 01 Feb 2007, 19:03
MichaelH

MichaelH
I've never considered I understood what "god" is but I must admit rugxulo has opened my eyes to "god" and I now understand that -

1 - "God" is knowing that your view of "god" is the correct view!

2 - "God" is the taking up of weapons ( bible or gun, preferably both Wink ) and inflicting pain and hopefully death on all sinners that do not understand the "correct view" of what "god" is.

I'll get back to you as rugxulo teaches me more Wink
Post 01 Feb 2007, 21:59
tantrikwizard

tantrikwizard
sleepsleep wrote:
maybe by getting the people to agree on one defination, we can solve future "God" related thread

It's an honerable amibition but will never happen. There's too many definitions and personal beliefs that are contradictory and inconsistent. The definitions also change between sects of the same religion. It's sorta like getting everyone to agree on trolls. Some people will think of lord of the rings mountain trolls that are 18 feet tall, while others believe in pocket trolls and hanging rear-view mirror decorations. I've heard every definition in the book and they all change depending on who you ask. The definition even changes depending on the mood the person is in at the time asked. I've researched these topics for some years and can occasionally get agreement on certain characteristics of said diety, but attitude and personal disposition change from culture to culture, religion to religion, race to race and individual to individual. Humans create god in their own image and that image changes as each person's view of themself changes. Though I've look in the past without success, I would like to see a comparitive study between individual's psychological disposition and their fantasy about god. It seems the violent people are more inclined toward a wrathful, unforgiving and jealous god, while spineless cowards are more inclined toward a god that is tolerant, loving and forgiving. If anyone comes across such a study please let me know.
Post 01 Feb 2007, 23:07
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
tantrikwizard

tantrikwizard
MichaelH wrote:
I'll get back to you as rugxulo teaches me more Wink

Laughing thanks for that...it was good. I think some of the other things rugxulo can teach is:

A) ignore logic and common sense, the fairytales of ancient men are enough.
B) ignore science based on verifiable repeated experimentation, for same reason
C) ignore every argument that i'm too illiterate to dispute, but keep arguging as if i know better anyway
D) the more clear it becomes that I'm an illiterate fanatic, the more maddness I should to demonstrate
Post 01 Feb 2007, 23:17
kohlrak

kohlrak
Very good, people, you've taken a metaphore and made a literal translation out of it and start bashing it. It's complete immaturity, like this, that has had me not look at the flat assembler boards much lately, because i don't need to be distracted by pointless arguments that are formed by twisting some one else's words. I beleive that the answer to the question of the original post is, "We have many deffinitions of 'God' just as we have many deffinitions of any other word. It's a problem with debating as we have lots of deffinitions for everything, so people are often not even sending different messages to each other. This is because meanings change over time, especially due to isolation or seperation. You'll find thisd happens alot between the english speaking countries (hence the dialects) and used to in the US of A, since it's so spread out. You'll probably never find a single correct deffinition without first location the first language and find the meaning from that language to apply to english, which might be only as broad as the word 'God.'" If you're looking for the first monotheistic religion, you'll find that it's probably Judaism. The word in that language is "Jahova," so now you have a start.
Post 02 Feb 2007, 00:47
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
MichaelH

MichaelH
Quote:

Very good, people, you've taken a metaphore and made a literal translation out of it and start bashing it.

Yes indeed and I'm very proud that I was blessed by "god" Wink and given such a talent Smile
Post 02 Feb 2007, 00:55
tantrikwizard

tantrikwizard
kohlrak wrote:
Very good, people, you've taken a metaphore and made a literal translation out of it and start bashing it.

You will get many differing opinions on whether 'god' is metaphore or literal being. Kookoos like rugxulo clearly take it literally. My personal belief, based on several years of research in comparitive religion, the origin of gods in most systems were to be taken literal. It seems intellegent people believe 'god' to be metaphore while kookoos seem to fall for it literally.

kohlrak wrote:
It's complete immaturity, like this, that has had me not look at the flat assembler boards much lately, because i don't need to be distracted by pointless arguments that are formed by twisting some one else's words.

In reality, a relatively small amount of same appears on the FASM board, its mostly in the HEAP section. You dont have to let it distract you, just ignore the HEAP section and move on to the other great sections which are more often relevant.

The attempt at getting everyone to agree on 'god' is a nobel ambition, but is frankly impossible. When a majority agree with their feelings that the metaphore of god represents love, one can logically conclude the opposite and disagree. There is no aspect of a definition of 'god' that will not be disputed and disagreed with by some.
Post 02 Feb 2007, 02:18

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: