flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > Mojibake...

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
kohlrak

kohlrak
No more giving back...

Last edited by kohlrak on 07 Aug 2008, 15:11; edited 2 times in total
Post 24 Jan 2007, 06:40
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
f0dder

f0dder
I guess the program is written for ANSI (MBCS) instead of UNICODE - if you know which codepage it's intended for, you could probably grab the ANSI strings and do the conversion.
Post 24 Jan 2007, 06:48
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
kohlrak

kohlrak
No more giving back...

Last edited by kohlrak on 07 Aug 2008, 15:12; edited 1 time in total
Post 24 Jan 2007, 06:57
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
f0dder

f0dder
ANSI vs UNICODE is a Windows api issue - *A vs. *W functions, for API functions that take string arguments (or have strings pointed to by structures, etc.)

For the ANSI (or "narrow", where UNICODE is then "wide") APIs, there's an encoding called MBCS - MultiByte Character Sequence. Iirc this is identical to UTF-8 encoding.

Check out PlatformSDK::MultiByteToWideChar - if nothing else, it should prove a starting point for digging deeper into the PlatformSDK.
Post 24 Jan 2007, 10:26
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
by the way: does Linux have some unicode support? or just UTF8
Post 24 Jan 2007, 11:25
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
kohlrak

kohlrak
No more giving back...

Post 24 Jan 2007, 12:01
MCD

MCD
vid wrote:
by the way: does Linux have some unicode support? or just UTF8

Linux has UTF8 unicode, Windows has UTF16 unicode. Both may apply to the same codepage, only that in UTF8 you use bytes as default chars and larger ones only when needed, as though in UTF16 you must use at least words(16bits) and larger ones only when needed.

So the main difference between ASCII/Ansi and UTF is that UTF uses characters with variable length, whereas ASCII is 7bit fixed and Ansi is 8bit fixed.
Post 24 Jan 2007, 15:33
shoorick

shoorick
if your system supports japanese - you can go to the national settings, set to use "japanese" for non-unicode application, reboot and try it again. later you can switch backward into language settings you use usually. i did it on my pc under xp and think it is enough safe Wink
---
if you were name topic less strange i would look here more earlier Laughing
Post 24 Jan 2007, 15:48
rugxulo

rugxulo
shoorick wrote:
if you were name topic less strange i would look here more earlier Laughing

Don't forget that scientica uses Mojibake as his backup nick on IRC. At least, I was expecting something related to that (and don't quite understand what you're trying to do, kohlrak, but anyways, I'd be no help either way ...).
Post 25 Jan 2007, 01:37
kohlrak

kohlrak
No more giving back...

Post 28 Jan 2007, 05:53
shoorick

shoorick
i do not understand what do you mean with browser settings while i've been talking about system setting for non-unicode apps. here i had attaching example - maybe it will help (sorry, i have no system with english interface, but hope it will be no problem to guess by comments)

Description:
Download
Filename: swap codepage.zip
Filesize: 35.76 KB
Downloaded: 103 Time(s)

Post 28 Jan 2007, 08:48

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: