flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > cat pot by Intel

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
tom tobias

tom tobias
kohlrak wrote:

and シュンリク in 日本語 (i think, not 100% sure on the prononciation of his name).
Well, seems like a good effort!!!
I may be in error, it is afterall shoorick's name, not mine, but, in my opinion, the correct Katakana to use in representing the roman letters shoorick, DOES NOT EMBRACE "n", as you have inserted between "shu" and "ricku". Were you perhaps thinking that the "n" symbol is required to prolong the "oo" sound? I am out of practice by three decades, reading or writing Katakana, so perhaps I am in error here, but, I don't believe that one requires that "n" symbol to represent shoorick's name in Katakana. The roman letters used to represent the Russian original are trying to indicate, as I understand it, an "oo" sound, as in "moon", or "balloon" --requiring contraction of orbicularis oris, rather than the more casual "uh" sound, so common in English, uttered without need to move the lips. The classic example, is my name, tom, pronounced incorrectly in both Russian and English, as "tam", because it is easier to open the mouth and grunt, instead of contracting the lips to make the "oh" sound. Moreover, I guess that shoorick is not so much interested in the SOUND of his name, but rather in the picture of his name, thus, katakana representation for him is moving sideways at best. Now, ryzhik, on the other hand... already has an inferiority complex, because of people constantly poking and proding his fur and skin with evil machines, and unpleasant smelling chemicals, and even soaking him in a bathtub...so, he is ready for a name change. He may not however, be terribly eager to receive a Japanese name, for fear of winding up on the butcher block, instead of the bathtub. Like all dwarf tigers, he would prefer a female companion, rather than a new name, given a choice....
shoorick wrote:
i've been thinking about kou (口)
Yes, the character representing mouth, or other points of ingress/egress.
Well, it isn't too glorious, but, "ke" comes closest to sounding like "k". There are many homophones, lots of HanZi, to choose from, in searching for an attractive artistic design, all with the sound "ke". As for the symbol with the most interesting meaning, that may be more of a challenge!
Smile
Post 04 Sep 2007, 10:03
shoorick

shoorick
he-he Smile i think there is need to pronounce both "shoorick" and "ryzhik" to reveal great secret Smile i have no microphone nearby, so, maybe soon Smile
Post 04 Sep 2007, 10:21
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
shoorick

shoorick
sounds (as promised)

btw, there is no difference between short and prolonged "i" and "u" in russian like between say "ship" and "sheep" in english, so, "shoorick" is usually written as "shurik", but there was an evolution long time ago: at first i replaced "u" with "oo" hoping it must sound "u", not like soft "o" (like in the word "burn"), and then, as tom said, i added "c" before "k" to make "look" - fit name in 8 chars (i already was interesting computers that time)

from other side there are difference in russian (not only) between two kinds of "i": "и" and "ы" - first is soft and second is hard. to get "ы" start to say "i" and slightly turn down tongue or jaw. "ы" often represented as "y" in latin transliteration.

so:
Шурик
Рыжик

Description:
Download
Filename: shoorick.zip
Filesize: 14.65 KB
Downloaded: 150 Time(s)

Description:
Download
Filename: ryzhik.zip
Filesize: 14.29 KB
Downloaded: 153 Time(s)

Post 05 Sep 2007, 05:30
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
shoorick

shoorick
tom tobias wrote:
The classic example, is my name, tom, pronounced incorrectly in both Russian and English, as "tam", because it is easier to open the mouth and grunt, instead of contracting the lips to make the "oh" sound.

we say "tom" in Russian like this in attach. There are exchanging of sounds a/o, i/e in russian speech, but it takes place only on non-accented vowels. say, i saw in russian lessons for foreigners, the word "moloko" (milk) has transcription [malak`o] to sound more natural (i would even say it must sound something like intermediate between "a" and "o"). accented vowels never change their sound in Russian. i had said "moloko" as i usually say it.

Description:
Download
Filename: sounds.7z
Filesize: 14.93 KB
Downloaded: 154 Time(s)

Post 08 Oct 2007, 11:26
tom tobias

tom tobias
many thanks, shoorick, for correcting my pronunciation mistake!
Smile
Post 08 Oct 2007, 12:58
shoorick

shoorick
i've suppose you just never heard how russian says "tom" Wink
Post 08 Oct 2007, 13:01
vinoca

vinoca
It is better for char i wrote when i was young.i use chinese beyond 20 years,but my english is poor.
Post 22 Nov 2007, 22:04
SomeoneNew

SomeoneNew
nice cat!
Post 04 Dec 2007, 00:06
bitRAKE

bitRAKE
Currently, we have three cats and a dog. We found a cat in the park and oddly one of the others died a month later. Sad It was one of the most beautiful cats I have ever owned.

The dog is a McNab/Border Collie mix - spends most of her time on her back - a proper bitch. She is so submissive that this little tom cat smacks her around. Laughing

Description: AMD and Intel get intimate...
Filesize: 146.23 KB
Viewed: 5404 Time(s)

catdog.jpg

Post 04 Dec 2007, 02:09
shoorick

shoorick
very nice! i have to show this to my daughter! Smile
Post 04 Dec 2007, 05:45
bitRAKE

bitRAKE
Post 04 Dec 2007, 06:07
tom tobias

tom tobias
SomeoneNew wrote:

nice cat!
It is a dwarf tiger, not a cat...
Post 04 Dec 2007, 15:33
shoorick

shoorick
to bitRAKE: thanks for video! my girls were asking me if there is more foto - think this will be even better!

also, here is tiger under control

Description:
Filesize: 22.12 KB
Viewed: 5365 Time(s)

tiger_baby.jpg

Post 05 Dec 2007, 05:58
bitRAKE

bitRAKE
Here is a picture of Sophie (light colored) - she was killed by a car. She could catch flies in her paws - like clapping them together in the air! Now she is buried in the garden. Sophie sticks out her tonge at me. Laughing

The darker cat is Simon - she has a very odd personality - always quiet and not involved with other animals. I think she is just angry because we thought she was a boy, lol. Razz

Description:
Filesize: 49.28 KB
Viewed: 5362 Time(s)

sophie.jpg

Post 05 Dec 2007, 06:09
shoorick

shoorick
thanks! very nice landscape! Smile
Post 05 Dec 2007, 06:21
bitRAKE

bitRAKE
Couple more...

Description:
Filesize: 77.24 KB
Viewed: 5352 Time(s)

basket.jpg

Description: YinYang
Filesize: 169.32 KB
Viewed: 5352 Time(s)

YinYang.jpg

Post 05 Dec 2007, 06:39
shoorick

shoorick
once (~10 years ago) we had a cat who was smoker. i've been smoking that time, my dad smoking, and my sister and mother told they did not Smile
well, usually, if you send smoke into cat face, even gently - he will run away immeditelly, but that one was stay sitting, just close his eyes and sniffing Smile
Post 05 Dec 2007, 06:55
MazeGen

MazeGen
bitRAKE, it seems like Buddha takes care of you while you're sleeping. Good.
Post 05 Dec 2007, 08:35
edfed

edfed
comme ils sont mignons tout ces chats! (L)
miaou miaou
Post 05 Dec 2007, 09:14
kohlrak

kohlrak
D'accord, d'accord.
Post 05 Dec 2007, 11:23
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 24, 25, 26  Next

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: