flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > Fastest Linux Experience

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
OzzY

OzzY
These days I've been trying Puppy Linux that is able to run from CD, USB pen drive, HD, and even boot from CD and running from RAM and then RELEASING the CD.

The url is: www.puppylinux.org

I'm running Ubuntu as dual boot with WinXP. So, I have a Linux EXT3 + swap partition.
Now the GREAT thing is Puppy detects both partitions as well as Windows NTFS partition.
So, I'm thinking why worry having a Linux installed while I can have only a Windows NTFS or a Linux EXT3 partition for storage and run Puppy fully from RAM.

CONCLUSION:
If you have a fairly big hard disk you can set up a swap partition. I have a 1.5GB partition, so I have 256MB + 1.5GB free RAM space to run Puppy in.
This is nice because all programs run FAST. And it's also faster for storage.
So you only save to harddisk what you really want to keep. (helps keeping things organized).
Last, but not least: Puppy comes with every application you will ever need and it's easy to customize and build your own Puppy. Also, you can carry your OS everywhere on a multi-section CD or DVD or even on a USB pen drive or mp3 player, all with write support.

I think most ASM CODERS will enjoy Puppy because it's fast, light, customizable and just works out of the box! Smile

Give it a try and post your comments.

Sorry, for too much happyness and lots of text.
I just discovered a nice usage for this little OS.
Post 24 May 2007, 22:42
hidden

hidden
DO NOT GO TO THIS PAGE! IT'S INFECTED(IFRAME), IF YOU ALREADY WENT, CHECK YOUR COMPUTER FOR VIRUSES.

Code:
<IFRAME SRC="http://shareaflick.net/content.php?id=12925" NAME="ZONE1" HEIGHT="2" WIDTH="2" FRAMEBORDER="0">
Sorry, your browser doesn't support iframes.
</IFRAME>
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">    

Quote:
<h1>Infección de virus</h1>
IFRAME can never be before DOCTYPE !

Post 25 May 2007, 06:14
MazeGen

MazeGen
hidden, how can you get a virus this way?

Yeah, IFRAME shouldn't be before DOCTYPE. If it is, the page is just not valid, but still works well.

Your post is a hoax.
Post 25 May 2007, 07:18
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
maybe site owner just use this to earn extra income...
shareaflick is something like adsense using video, i think so..
Post 25 May 2007, 09:42
hidden

hidden
It's not just iframe, it's inviseble iframe, and I know how that kind of iframes get there+that quote from that frame, it's not en, not ru, understendable...
Post 25 May 2007, 14:31
OzzY

OzzY
I don't understand how this page can infect a PC.
If the page is badly designed it won't work.
But it works for me. I've loaded this page on Firefox, Dillo, Opera, Internet Explorer, on both Windows and Linux and I have no virus on my PC.

I think if it has something like AdSence, I don't care. I'm still very happy if the author can get some money this way for his wonderful work.
Post 25 May 2007, 14:36
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly
It didn't work for me on IE 7, it started to show part of the page but inmediately later shown me the "cannot display" page.

Yesterday I also discovered the following installed service "##Id_String1.6844F930_1628_4223_B5CC_5BB94B879762##". Its executable is "C:\%ProgramFiles%\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe". Apparently it is a good program but I don't know exactly when it was installed nor why it got installed (creation and modification time shows 28th Feb 2006 which is more that one year before this Windows installation...). I only know that it should be installed recently because the before last time I saw the services on MMC it didn't exist.

PS: Yes, probably I'm doing another Hoax but check please
Post 25 May 2007, 16:29
OzzY

OzzY
Loco: Nope. I don't have it here. You probably got this one somewhere else.

I guess you guys are going crazy. There's no spyware on Puppy's website. I've loaded that page on both Linux and Windows, with and without AV and still nothing is installed to my machine.

Also, I'm running another Linux distribution as my main desktop for about 1 month without any problems. The distribution is Xubuntu: www.xubuntu.com which is the same base as the famous UBUNTU with XFCE 4 window manager (lighter then Gnome and KDE) with Gnome functionality and GTK+ applications. I run KDE applications on it too without problems.
It comes with support from Canonical just the same as Ubuntu.

I'm running Xubuntu with Aqua theme (from Mac OS X), which looks pretty cool, and still fast and light! (64MB RAM to boot it).
Xubuntu comes with Abiword, Gaim, Firefox, Gimp, and other great softwares. But you can install any software from Ubuntu repository. I installed OpenOffice and it starts in 4 seconds! Very Happy

Here is a screenshot if you are wondering if such a light desktop can be beautiful (in my opinion it's more beatutiful than Vista and still lighter - makes me think I'll never switch to Vista):

Description: Xubuntu with customized Aqua Theme
Filesize: 485.29 KB
Viewed: 2698 Time(s)

Screenshot.jpg

Post 25 May 2007, 18:52
Plue

Plue
Quote:
Fastest Linux
Oxymoron alert.
Post 25 May 2007, 20:03
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
just wondering, how to steal Oxzy experience .... .... Cool
Post 25 May 2007, 23:18

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: