flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > Google Code Jam 2007

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly
If someone is interested in the competition here the link
http://www.google.com/codejamlatinamerica/

I of course will not participate of that because I'm not at the height of the contest but I think that some of the members here can participate (latin american members only)

Cheers
Post 03 Jan 2007, 22:09
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly
BTW, there was compos at Europe too http://www.google.com/codejamlatinamerica/previous.html . Funny, the name Tomasz appears very frequently and Poland as well Laughing
Post 03 Jan 2007, 22:12
pelaillo
Missing in inaction

pelaillo
Hey Loco, who says you are not at the height of the contest?
You are very talented and you will have a head start over many: Assembly knowledge.
And it will be a challenging experence, at least to try to complete the qualification round. Wink

And we have a month to train and ¿who knows? maybe we are able to classify and anticipate the second fasm technical discussion in Brazil !!
Post 04 Jan 2007, 03:05
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly
Quote:

Hey Loco, who says you are not at the height of the contest?

Me and my qualifications at the university Wink (plus the fact that I would have to be doing my thesis but I'm some years behind because of be a bad student - and to have a bad high school preparation because of the infamous education reform which my generation was the first in testing it... -)

Quote:
You are very talented

Thanks for say that but sorry you are wrong Laughing

Quote:
and you will have a head start over many: Assembly knowledge.

Well today maybe it doesn't plays against me but in the past the assembly knowledge played too hard against me since when I was writing in HLL I couldn't stop thinking in assembly, that was terrible for two reasons, first sometimes I spent too much time writing code to hint the compiler to produce the most efficient machine code possible and second, because of assembly I wrote code that Computers Programming course dislikes very much because "we don't see it in that way"TM. Assembly knowledge opens the mind but unfortunately in my case causes me to loose time (which is incompatible with TopCoder/Google Code Jam contest).

Quote:
And it will be a challenging experence, at least to try to complete the qualification round.

Well, I'll try to do my best and reach the t-shirt Razz

Quote:
And we have a month to train and ¿who knows? maybe we are able to classify and anticipate the second fasm technical discussion in Brazil !!

Good idea Smile

And the last but important aspect is the language we can choice
Quote:
The competition is available in five programming languages - Java, C++, C#, VB.NET and Python.

I don't master any of those but I practiced some C++, but mostly C though. Well, I have to read again C++ since I remember too few things.

Regards,
Hernán
Post 04 Jan 2007, 04:45
pelaillo
Missing in inaction

pelaillo
Yes for me also the language of choice will be C++ - I expect to write mainly plain C or inline assembly (if permitted, I don't know if they consider it deliberate obfuscation Very Happy )
Quote:

Me and my qualifications at the university

You do well only what you like, simply like that.
Quote:

Assembly knowledge opens the mind but unfortunately in my case causes me to loose time (which is incompatible with TopCoder/Google Code Jam contest).

Yeah, we keep reinventing the wheel. But the time is not lost. On each try you were learning something.
Now we just need to train to solve problems in the fastest way possible, not the optimal way.
And we need to build a big library general purpose snippets to have at hand.
Post 04 Jan 2007, 13:04
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly
Guys, did you qualify? I unfortunatelly couldn't find the time to practise nor participate in the contest Sad

Well, even qualifying I couldn't participate in the first round because I will not be at home for a week...

Good luck guys in the following rounds!!
Post 26 Jan 2007, 00:10
pelaillo
Missing in inaction

pelaillo
Neither I've practiced but however I've participated... and run out of time Embarassed I've submitted the first problem and then started the second one in a hurry but don't finish it. And left an error in the first one...

The sad part is that the qualified people were less than 500.

The problems were arranged in a way you need to use STL and I was unfamiliar with it and with C++. The next time I need to practice a lot because the time constraint is severe and one needs to know by heart the whole language (there's no time to look at help files)

Who other participate?
Post 26 Jan 2007, 15:43
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly
bump

I have played today with it, I have succeed on my first shot but my score was 86.09 of 250 due to the loads of time it took me to code Razz (I first entered and later spent around 45+ minutes searching for how to program in C++ and also took a break for eat something besides my usual very slow programming times).

I tested asm ("mov %eax, %ebx"); and it compiled so we can use assembly but unfortunately not Intel syntax... So perhaps it is so hard to program in this way that it is better to just code in C++ (or C# or Java or VB.Net).

Seems that there is no compo this time Sad
Post 04 Jan 2008, 23:52
edfed

edfed
don't you think google will use your code?
like give you the first money prize and then use your code, sold it, and mostlly use it against you?
it's a possibility, "we gave you prize money, shut up now."
be carefull?
Post 05 Jan 2008, 02:42
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly
Perhaps, but it is the Algorithms competition and you must finish it in a very short time constraints to be a really extraordinaire thing so I wouldn't be so worried.

Topcoder has also another competition that gives you weeks to develop a system, of that one I'm very afraid of since a significant amount of work would be owned by them.
Post 05 Jan 2008, 03:12
tom tobias

tom tobias
pelaillo wrote:
...anticipate the second fasm technical discussion in Brazil !!

Third.....
Brazil? What happened to Columbia?
Post 05 Jan 2008, 09:56
pelaillo
Missing in inaction

pelaillo
Quote:

Brazil? What happened to Columbia?

It was a joke about the fact that the 2007 prize ceremony were held in Brazil. (This is a year's old thread)

I'm serious about organizing the third fasm technical discussion here in Colombia! So, let's start the promotion!
Post 08 Jan 2008, 13:24
tom tobias

tom tobias
Well, I will come. I am not sure about the Europeans, and I guess that HyperVista is very busy these days......
We may have to spend most of the time exploring the wonders of Cartagena by ourselves!!
http://www.cartagenainfo.net/
pero jo no creo que es muy facile apprendar Espanol.
Smile
Post 08 Jan 2008, 18:15
MazeGen

MazeGen
Well, Colombia, pretty far from here, you know Smile
Post 09 Jan 2008, 11:40
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: