flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > Destroyed floppy...?

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
kohlrak

kohlrak
i was trying to get DexOS installed on this floppy and something went wrong, next thing i know it says
Quote:
Disk error on track 0, head 0
address mark not found
The drive cannot find the sector requested.

I take it that somehow it became completely unformatted, anyone know how to fix this? (luckily i have 2 floppies, but i wouldn't mind if they both worked. lol) I tried reformatting the floppy with the windows formatter, but no good.
Post 22 Dec 2006, 03:42
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
rugxulo

rugxulo
DexOS might need perfect floppies without errors (like MenuetOS?). Reformat again, and make sure it's FAT12. You sure it's in the drive correctly? You sure it's PC-style and not Mac?

EDIT: Go ahead and try to put something else on the floppy, and see if that shows up correctly (use DSKCOPYX.ZIP (+ src) with FreeDOS? Menuet32? or just put some random files on there).
Post 22 Dec 2006, 04:09
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
kohlrak

kohlrak
I installed dex on another floppy and it went fine. I think it's something i did before attempting to put dex on it. And it's just like the other floppy, only this one dosn't work. Even the windows reformatter won't work, and i tried to load it and it printed "RE" on the screen. Plus, this is a 1.44 floppy so it only supports FAT, not fat32 or fat12 or anything other than just FAT. And i can't even access it with windows to put something on it, and DSKCOPYX dosn't work for me (designed for a different OS?).

EDIT: Fixed, and since this is an interesting problem i'll post exactly how i fixed it incase it happens to anyone else or myself again..

Reson why you must do this an obscure way: Windows explorer originally froze when trying to access the disk or even if you go as far as right clicking it.

Step 1: Right click and move your mouse down to "format" but don't click it.

Step2: put in the disk.

step3: as soon as you put in the disk, click format.

step4: try to make into DOS bootable disk.

step5: Try to use the disk so it gives the "disk not formatted" error

Note: if you try to avoid step 5, it'll give an error that it couldn't complete the format (or maybe it's because i forgot to give the disk a name, i'm not sure and i'm not testin' this again to find out). And to prevent future errors, be sure not to use quick format...

step 6: use the disk as normal again.
Post 22 Dec 2006, 04:48
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
Dex4u

Dex4u
@kohlrak, the error seems to be a error that the disk was not formated right.
Did you use the self-extracting exe to put it on a disk or a image ?.
As the self-extracting exe is a pro peace of software from here. http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/gvollant/download.htm

Also the bootloader that DexOS users (call bootprog ), uses a window compatable BPB, http://alexfru.chat.ru/epm.html#bootprog

There seems to be a lot of dodgy floppy out there, i do not think they are made as well as they used to be.
Let me know if you have any more problems and thanks for the info.
Post 22 Dec 2006, 16:35
kohlrak

kohlrak
THe problem was something i created, after doing all those steps, i used chkdsk and that seemed to fix it, i had some other problems with bad sectors and stuff, but upon using another floppy (that i didn't do this to) i got the same erros with menuet, so everything works just fine with it now.
Post 22 Dec 2006, 19:02
rugxulo

rugxulo
Sorry, DSKCOPYX was for DOS-based (e.g., Win9x??) systems; it won't work on XP (use RawWrite for Windows instead).
Post 23 Dec 2006, 15:11
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
kohlrak

kohlrak
Actually, i downloaded that. lol It's nice, but now to figure out how to make floppy images to put my aps in to burn, or maybe there's an easier way like moving the app over. lol
Post 23 Dec 2006, 15:21
rugxulo

rugxulo
Use DSKCOPYX on FreeDOS (after making a boot disk with RawWrite for Win) to make a disk image file. That should work, right?
Post 23 Dec 2006, 17:45
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly
Guys, and why not to think that just the floppy disk is broken? It's a very unreliable media and actually I have some disk with the first sector broken (possibly because I wrote to them boot codes too many times with my lo quality floppy drive). And sometimes some floppy disks doesn't work with a floppy drive but works well with other drive (typically because the drive is too sensible and needs a more perfect disk to work, other times for miscalibration issues).
Post 23 Dec 2006, 17:56
kohlrak

kohlrak
rugxulo wrote:
Use DSKCOPYX on FreeDOS (after making a boot disk with RawWrite for Win) to make a disk image file. That should work, right?

No, it'd give you a bad sector error...

Quote:
Guys, and why not to think that just the floppy disk is broken? It's a very unreliable media and actually I have some disk with the first sector broken (possibly because I wrote to them boot codes too many times with my lo quality floppy drive). And sometimes some floppy disks doesn't work with a floppy drive but works well with other drive (typically because the drive is too sensible and needs a more perfect disk to work, other times for miscalibration issues).

I did fix it... Didn't i say so already? I was providing answers to the problem a few replies back up. Fact is, they're just so simple to use and so easy to screw up there must be a way to fix them.
Post 23 Dec 2006, 23:16
bubach

bubach
kohlrak: Just to clear things up, the FAT version on floppys are FAT12. There is no spoon, erhm.. "FAT". Very Happy
Post 26 Dec 2006, 00:43
kohlrak

kohlrak
I didn't know that. XD Thanks.
Post 27 Dec 2006, 06:03

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: