flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > About Windows Vista x64

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Garthower

Garthower
I had such question, can, someone already knows on it the answer. It is how much known, under Windows XP/2003 x64 cannot be carried out 16-bit (executed files for DOS) programs. Whether So it for Windows Vista x64? When I considered Windows Vista IA32 under it were started and normally worked 16-bit programs.
Post 20 Dec 2006, 14:50
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
Garthower

Garthower
I have tested it already. No, 16-bit programs under Windows Vista x64 do not work...
Post 09 Jan 2007, 09:47
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
Feryno

Feryno
DosBox works fine for emulate 16-bits, but I still have problems running turbo debugger
Post 26 Jan 2007, 06:43
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number Reply with quote
RedGhost

RedGhost
You can't run old dos games or .com executables in Vista? (The DOS emulation layer is gone?)

Post 26 Jan 2007, 10:55
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger Reply with quote
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
yep... no NTVDM there
Post 26 Jan 2007, 11:35
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
DOS386

DOS386
Quote:
no NTVDM there

Thanks God ... making space for return of true DOS (16- and 32-bit). Wink

Title: Hello World program compiles to 100 KB !!!

Post 26 Jan 2007, 11:41
Feryno

Feryno
Running dos version of DOOM II under win DosBox emulator consumes 70% of AMD64 athlon 3000+ while playing the game (the edge of playability)
I suppose Duke 3D isn't playable on that CPU
but playing much older games with my wife (Dyna blaster) consumes less than playing MP3 (about 1-5% CPU)
debugging with td.exe crashes everytime, perhaps it needs newer version of emulator...
Post 26 Jan 2007, 12:06
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number Reply with quote
Tomasz Grysztar
Assembly Artist

Tomasz Grysztar
The proper use of virtualization on modern CPUs would allow to run 16-bit subsystems from the modern one running in long mode. I wonder if anyone is planning such thing.
Post 26 Jan 2007, 12:52
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
Feryno: google "Doomsday" and "jDuke"
Post 26 Jan 2007, 12:57
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
DustWolf

DustWolf
Garthower wrote:
I have tested it already. No, 16-bit programs under Windows Vista x64 do not work...

Windows ME 2.0 ...
Post 26 Jan 2007, 12:58
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
HyperVista

HyperVista
Tomasz wrote:
Quote:
The proper use of virtualization on modern CPUs would allow to run 16-bit subsystems from the modern one running in long mode. I wonder if anyone is planning such thing.

I'm currently writing a hypervisor (thin layer virtualization) that will, among other things Wink , allow running 16-bit subsystem on 64-bit systems. I'm writing it as a Windows device driver. fasm has been a central part of this effort because 64-bit driver compilers don't support in-line assembly. Therefore, all the necessary assembly language code must be built separately as .obj files and linked into the driver. Naturally, fasm has been my tool of choice Wink .

I hope to be able to make an "official" announcment on this project in the "Projects and Ideas" section of the board when I get a little further along.

Unfortunately, I recently had a bit of a set-back, which impacted my schedule, when I ran into an obstical that forced me to purchase a second development machine that is VMX capable.

Until recently, I've been doing my testing in a VMWare environment because you can really screw up a machine when writing device drivers and I didn't want to have to rebuild/re-install my development machine everytime I BSOD. Unfortunately, there are several very low-level things I need to do that VMWARE is interfering with and I have to test on a "real machine".

My strong desire not to screw up my dev machine and my need to test on real hardware has forced me to buy a separate VMX capable box. I'll have that machine early next week and can move forward.

I'll have more details for you guys when I get a little further along with this effort. I hope to use this project to showcase fasm Cool . More on that later.
Post 26 Jan 2007, 14:12
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
very interesting. Which things can your hypervisor catch & emulate yet? I mean, page faults, I/O, CR accresses etc.

btw, if you know enough about case VMware can't handle, just report it. I bet they try to be precise.
Post 26 Jan 2007, 14:51
f0dder

f0dder
HyperVista: "sync.exe" helps a lot wrt. avoiding bad bad crashes. And Acronis TrueImage makes things a lot less painful as well, when the nasty-nasty crashes do happen.
Post 27 Jan 2007, 09:33

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: