flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > About Mr. Tomasz ?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
tom tobias

tom tobias
Tomasz wrote:

Yeah, I'm stupid, I tried to invent one breakthrough technique for my doctoral thesis but so far I failed ultimately. Stupid, you may be sure.
Tomasz wrote:
It seems I'm really bad at being ironical
No, I think the irony in the first quote emerged satisfactorily, but, the writing also conveyed, at least to me, an element of dissatisfaction, if not genuine sorrrow, in addition to the more obvious rebuttal of the initial submission, by means of sarcasm. Yeah, I accept that I have overinterpreted the sentences as conveying, in addition, an imaginary, transient unhappiness.
Post 01 Jan 2007, 23:16
m

m
Exclamation

Last edited by m on 16 Jul 2007, 07:40; edited 1 time in total
Post 05 Jan 2007, 09:08
F45M

F45M
"M" I like Tomasz's FASM a lot, am I a stupid too ?
Post 05 Jan 2007, 10:47
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
m: you must be prepared for some furiousity, if you call someone stupid. Try it in real life Wink
Post 05 Jan 2007, 11:49
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
tom tobias

tom tobias
m wrote:
Why everybody is reacting so furiously ?
In my opinion, reaction thus far has been muted, temperate, and restrained. If anything, people have ignored your sentiments as representing mere musings of melancholy, quite commonplace at the winter solstice.....
m wrote:
Tomasz does not expect a Certificate Of Excellence from me.
But, notwithstanding your hostile demeanor, he might nevertheless award you a gold star to place on your forehead, if you would submit something to the forum that constituted legitimate criticism of FASM, perhaps including even an illustration of how FASM could be improved....
m wrote:
I have full right to voice my opinion.
why? I don't ask that forum members find FASM an outstanding accomplishment, I myself OFTEN criticize it. But, I think there is a difference between requesting change for real or perceived failings of FASM, and offering up childish ad hominem attacks on Tomasz' character. No one on this forum, including Tomasz, considers FASM to be without shortcomings of one kind or another. But, those modest, few, ostensible liabilities surely fail to illustrate the notion that FASM's author possesses only a limited, substandard quantity of intelligence.
F45M wrote:
"M" I like Tomasz's FASM a lot, am I a stupid too?
Be careful here F45M, for your argument invites ridicule as a mere syllogism. I recognize the sarcasm, but notwithstanding your kindness in rebutting "m" and concurrently supporting Tomasz, you must not fall into a cheerleading trap. Paraphrasing Milton, Tomasz has no need of such support....
http://www.sonnets.org/milton.htm#002
vid wrote:

m: you must be prepared for some furiousity, if you call someone stupid. Try it in real life
In my opinion, this is another flawed argument, for the problem is not that someone has openly expressed indignation with another person's stupidity, the problem is that FASM is NOT an illustration of stupidity, but rather, the obverse. Every single point offered by "m", as he sought to identify some sort of limitation with FASM, is either foolish, or wrong. That his conclusion (of Tomasz' supposed stupidity) is logically harmonious with this nonsensical list of aberrent, disreputable, mythical qualities of FASM is somewhat unexpected. I wondered if "m" was a pseudonym of someone already on the forum, playing the jester deliberately, to see what might emerge....
Smile
Post 05 Jan 2007, 20:22
rugxulo

rugxulo
m wrote:
I think Tomasz is a stupid guy ( with all due respect ).
Why would he waste his time and efforts in writing a free tool for dying
assembly language's rare lovers ?
Had he been smart, he would write some AI-enabled program or would
invent some breakthrough technique for whole Compute Community.

m is certainly allowed to express his opinion (which is common: where's the money? what good is it? why reinvent the wheel?). He's probably just being philosophical. Obviously, Privalov is a smart guy. Assembly language can't die unless people stop using it. And FASM helps them do that in a better fashion than most other assemblers, no doubt.

Why is all GNU software "free"? Why is Linux free? Why do they use C when C++/Java/etc. exists? What about OpenWatcom, Mozilla FireFox, etc.? Why use FireFox when IE exists? Why use OpenWatcom when MSVC or GCC exists? Why does FreeDOS exist, and why use it?

It's just the way it is. Be happy or not. But either way, it ain't hurting you. Smile
Post 06 Jan 2007, 05:44
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
masonswanson

masonswanson
tom tobias wrote:
m wrote:
I think Tomasz is a stupid guy

Sorry to disagree, M, but, Tomasz, in my opinion, is clever, not stupid. His decision to create FASM, and this forum are laudable, and he has, in my opinion, helped to promote assembly language.
Quote:
Had he been smart, he would write some AI-enabled program
AI, for those FASM forum members who may not know, is a 1960's era notion, promulgated by MIT and Stanford, whereby one should use LISP to create "Artificial Intelligence". Both AI, and LISP, not assembly language, are obsolete, in my opinion.
Quote:
would invent some breakthrough technique for whole Compute Community
Well, and this is the point of the long debate about Macros, and FASM. FASM is no longer, maybe never was, a pure assembler. Tomasz calls it a compiler, because it has evolved into a "something for everyone" software tool. If one likes AI, and LISP, FASM will permit one to create macros to implement those ancient notions. Point is, FASM IS a tool for the "whole" computing community. It is sufficiently flexible to permit the most ardent high level language lover to create whatever he/she wishes. How much more "whole" can one be?
Smile

sorry but i kinda disagree, i believe ai has a big place in the near future, and that it is easier to learn prolog or lisp to use in something a related than assembly but good luck writing an operatin system for embedded devices using poplog! i think it would be nice to add the capabilities of a great assembler such as fasm into the easy to make huge things with, Lisp or Prolog, or the other way around, where the assembler not only detects bugs and bottlenecks, but can then suggest alternatives to improve the problem
Post 25 Dec 2010, 03:36
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: