flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > [Demoscene] 8088 CORRUPTION

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug


Joined: 06 May 2005
Posts: 4633
Location: Argentina
LocoDelAssembly
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-W_9zMm2lY . Nice demo. I saw this demo in my computer some time ago but certainly it looks better on a really old computer.
Post 04 Dec 2006, 21:39
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
sleepsleep



Joined: 05 Oct 2006
Posts: 8885
Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
impressive.
Post 05 Dec 2006, 07:34
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
rugxulo



Joined: 09 Aug 2005
Posts: 2341
Location: Usono (aka, USA)
rugxulo
More info (plus Unix and GBA ports) can be found here.
Post 05 Dec 2006, 19:49
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
DustWolf



Joined: 26 Jan 2006
Posts: 373
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia
DustWolf
LocoDelAssembly wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-W_9zMm2lY . Nice demo. I saw this demo in my computer some time ago but certainly it looks better on a really old computer.


Tron!! Very Happy

Like the movie was nearly just as old as that PC (3 years newer actually) and it was a 3D rendered CGI movie. Razz

P.S.: But personally.. I don't understand why opt for Sound blaster sound? Isn't the internal speaker good enough for chipstuff anymore?
Post 07 Dec 2006, 00:23
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug


Joined: 06 May 2005
Posts: 4633
Location: Argentina
LocoDelAssembly
Quote:

P.S.: But personally.. I don't understand why opt for Sound blaster sound? Isn't the internal speaker good enough for chipstuff anymore?

The problem of using the PC Speaker is that it doesn't support PCM data througth DMA nor storing in some address space the data, it need a constant pooling which demands that the CPU feeds the PC Speaker constantly and since XT isn't dual-core you have no CPUs to process the text video Very Happy

PC Speaker is OK to do some "ring tones" and play MIDIs in a very poor way.
Post 07 Dec 2006, 01:37
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
rhyno_dagreat



Joined: 31 Jul 2006
Posts: 487
Location: Maryland, Unol Daleithiau
rhyno_dagreat
Ooo... Tr0n. Very Happy
Post 07 Dec 2006, 01:59
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DustWolf



Joined: 26 Jan 2006
Posts: 373
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia
DustWolf
LocoDelAssembly wrote:
The problem of using the PC Speaker is that it doesn't support PCM data througth DMA nor storing in some address space the data, it need a constant pooling which demands that the CPU feeds the PC Speaker constantly and since XT isn't dual-core you have no CPUs to process the text video Very Happy

PC Speaker is OK to do some "ring tones" and play MIDIs in a very poor way.


I know about the CPU usage bit, but it isn't really that bad I think... well... not an unsolvable problem anyway.

As for the sound quality, it doesn't suck at all, I have had a system set up not so long ago, with Visual Player 2.0 (VP20; http://vogons.zetafleet.com/files/vp.jpg), playing modules on the PC Speaker in real time (e.g. modulating and mixing samples in real time) allong with displaying visualizations and it wasn't that bad at all.

I'd show you if I knew a way to wire a PC Speaker to a line-in port (or borow a camcoder).
Post 07 Dec 2006, 18:06
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug


Joined: 06 May 2005
Posts: 4633
Location: Argentina
LocoDelAssembly
Well, the screenshot obviously shows a computer much faster than a 8088 4.75 MHz. Do you think that is possible to process that video text and process sound on PC Speaker at the same time?

PS: Do you have a link to download that player?
Post 07 Dec 2006, 18:54
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DustWolf



Joined: 26 Jan 2006
Posts: 373
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia
DustWolf
LocoDelAssembly wrote:
Well, the screenshot obviously shows a computer much faster than a 8088 4.75 MHz. Do you think that is possible to process that video text and process sound on PC Speaker at the same time?

PS: Do you have a link to download that player?


Hm, yes agreed 4.75 MHz is a 'bit' below what I have tested with VP2.0 ... regardless I think that with propper poking holes in your code, you could do it (because say 11 kHz sampling rate still makes hearable music and it would only mean sending an OUT command to the speaker every 400 CPU cycles). Can't be sure until I try it, eh?

As for Visual Player 2.0 and a download.. The program was commercial when it was still new, but I'd bet the copyright is expired by now... It's officially extinct on the web, but I think P2P (eMule) should yield an archive or two.

EDIT: On second check... it's still around it seemz:
http://cd.textfiles.com/pdos9606/SOUND/MODPLAY/VP20.ZIP
EDIT2: You will also need a music file... Take this AC/DC - Thunderstruck cover, served right off my 80 MHz 486:
http://dustworld.dyndns.org/x/ac_dc.mod
Post 08 Dec 2006, 00:33
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug


Joined: 06 May 2005
Posts: 4633
Location: Argentina
LocoDelAssembly
Every 400 CPU cycles is very short, note that these CPUs has no one cycle instructions and it has a 8-bit data bus so it needs two bus cycles to get a word. There is no cache but a RAM only really slow that can't be accessed at any moment (because it needs to be refreshed plus some other factors).

Thanks for the links, I'll try it on my Cx586
Post 08 Dec 2006, 01:26
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
RedGhost



Joined: 18 May 2005
Posts: 443
Location: BC, Canada
RedGhost
Very cool indeed.

_________________
redghost.ca
Post 08 Dec 2006, 11:48
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger Reply with quote
DustWolf



Joined: 26 Jan 2006
Posts: 373
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia
DustWolf
LocoDelAssembly wrote:
Every 400 CPU cycles is very short, note that these CPUs has no one cycle instructions and it has a 8-bit data bus so it needs two bus cycles to get a word. There is no cache but a RAM only really slow that can't be accessed at any moment (because it needs to be refreshed plus some other factors).


So... what if you make the sound output as an ISR to the system timer, so that it executes periodically inbetween. Pre-process everything and use stuff like the peripherials' registers instead of system memory?

Okay, I admit: pretty hard. Razz
Post 08 Dec 2006, 13:57
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
kohlrak



Joined: 21 Jul 2006
Posts: 1421
Location: Uncle Sam's Pad
kohlrak
Actually, the demo is kinda sad. It points out that an old computer can do all that, but some of our current computers can't even handle certain software to use images. It's what happens when you let microsoft do everything for you.
Post 16 Dec 2006, 20:15
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:
Post new topic Reply to topic

Jump to:  


< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules:
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Copyright © 1999-2020, Tomasz Grysztar.

Powered by rwasa.