flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > Stupid naming in 64-bit Windows

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Tomasz Grysztar
Assembly Artist

Tomasz Grysztar
http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/userblogs/mls/blogView?showComments=true&entry=3293290468
Michael Lucas-Smith wrote:
Microsoft has always had trouble naming things. Sticking letters in front of variable names to hint their memory format was a mixed blessing. Sure, it helped you avoid mistakes (when it was right) but it also made the code very hard to read. Well, Microsoft has just stepped up bad naming a whole new notch with their release of the 64-bit version of Windows. Here's the noise:

* Program Files - where 64-bit applications live
* Program Files (x86) - where 32-bit applications live
* Windows\system32 - where 64-bit DLL's live
* Windows\SysWOW64 - where 32-bit DLL's live
* x86 - The compiler platform for 32-bit code generation
* x64 - The compiler platform for 64-bit code generation

So we have 32-bit stuff in 64-bit named folders, 32-bit apps in x86 named folders, 64-bit code built on an imaginary platform called x64. Wow.

This is sooo true... I was confused by the same things, and moreover: why are the 64-bit DLLs called like KERNEL32.DLL and USER32.DLL?

I guess this is all because there was a 64-bit Windows for IA64 first, but still... what a mess.
Post 25 Nov 2006, 13:14
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Borsuc

Borsuc
Yeah, Microsoft always have trouble with "nice" organization.
Anyway, like I always said, holding everything in the "system" registry was the worst of ALL.

but anyway, you know MS wind0ze.. soooo many folders inside the system, soo many options, you get blurred as to which are useful to you or not -- and then afraid to delete them (keeping your system lite) since you DON'T even know what they are supposed to do in the first place. I bet 60% of them are useless Wink

thanks for the above quote, it makes me see where MS are going with organizing things.
Post 25 Nov 2006, 17:05
r22

r22
I haven't had a chance to check, but maybe Vista's a little more thought out in its structure.
Post 25 Nov 2006, 19:27
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
i don't like the " " (space) in the program files Laughing
Post 25 Nov 2006, 19:34
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
sleepsleep: yes, that's the worst of all design (together with home folder named "Documents and Settings"). That's how things end up when you put manager-type people into charge.
Post 26 Nov 2006, 02:27
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
This topic seems to be slipping away from the original post but since we're in the heap I also want to let it slip a little more Evil or Very Mad

My major hates about MS Windows:

Registry - makes life almost impossible to copy settings across computers, always grows, never shrinks.

Spaces in folder and file names - Unnecessary and clumsy

"Temporary Internet Files" - Impossible to delete without closing explorer, the index always grows, never shrinks, bad for security, leaves traces of activity

Services on by default - Loads of crap running that most people never use

Hidden "desktop.ini" - changes the way explorer displays folder contents

XP searching all zip's - makes searching slow

Hides extentions by default - with 5 files all named "setup" which one is the executable?

Every small change to anything requires a reboot - badly designed driver models

Automatic searching for printers and shared folders - Large networks end up with hundreds of confusing printer and shared folder names in "My Network Places"

Shares are forgotten for external drives - every reboot the shares must be reinstated manually

Now, so as not to be completely off topic, there is something related to naming that I find silly, the folders with names starting "My ...". Every user gets "My Documents", "My Pictures", "My Music", "My Videos". Adobe adds "My eBooks". I always just ignore them all and put all my stuff in a folder off root.
Post 26 Nov 2006, 03:18
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly
Quote:

XP searching all zip's - makes searching slow

Yes, GOD, that's terrible, can it be disabled? Sometimes it takes so long time to search that I have no other choice than getting up a console and use the "dir" command.
Post 26 Nov 2006, 04:21
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
LocoDelAssembly wrote:
can it be disabled
Just run this at the command prompt
Code:
regsvr32 /u %windir%\system32\zipfldr.dll    
Post 26 Nov 2006, 06:55
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly
Thanks Very Happy
Post 26 Nov 2006, 13:55

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: