flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > kkrieger - FPS game!

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Raedwulf

Raedwulf
I just found an amazing 3d game that fits in 96k....
Have a look here:

http://www.theprodukkt.com/kkrieger

all i can say is... Wow! Wow! Wow!

Enjoy!

Post 17 Nov 2006, 10:29
Tomasz Grysztar
Assembly Artist

Tomasz Grysztar
Too bad it's not all assembly. Rewrite! Wink
Post 17 Nov 2006, 10:57
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Raedwulf

Raedwulf
Haha you've given me a task, that one day....just one day i could maybe do ^^.
Post 17 Nov 2006, 11:52
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly
Yes, my favourite demo group Very Happy Check www.farb-rausch.de for more demos, they updated the page very recently
Post 17 Nov 2006, 14:43
Maverick

Maverick
Well, it's great to save disk space.. but not RAM.

They simply generate procedurally all textures and levels before launching the game.
Post 17 Nov 2006, 15:44
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Raedwulf

Raedwulf
I know, but hell, it takes a shorter time to download the game Smile
Post 17 Nov 2006, 17:52
rugxulo

rugxulo
Tsunami 2010 (96k Tempest clone for Windows, see its FAQ, worked better with my NVidia GeForce than ATI Rage 128 Pro or whatever Razz).
Post 17 Nov 2006, 19:53
Dex4u

Dex4u
I am sure the way it works is like this:
This is a 24bit bmp image its size if it was 640x480 is about 900k
http://www.dex4u.com/cdpod.htm
This is the code to draw the image, at run time
Code:
;*****************************; fade background screen.;*****************************fade_screen:        mov   edx,[ModeInfo_PhysBasePtr]        mov   edi,edx        xor   eax,eax        mov   al,0xc5        xor   ebx,ebx        mov   bl,195DoLoop:        mov   cx,640*2        dec   eax        rep   stosd        dec   ebx        jnz   DoLoop;***********************************; Draws the Pod.;***********************************        mov   edi,236*4+640*4*125        add   edi,edxPod:        xor   ecx,ecx        mov   ebx,245button2:        mov   cl,14        mov   al,0x2dletsloop1:        stosd        add   eax,15        loop  letsloop1        mov   cl,130        rep   stosd        mov   cl,14letsloop2:        stosd        sub   eax,15        loop  letsloop2        add   edi,640*4-158*4        dec   ebx        jnz   button2;***********************************; Draws the Pod window.  Sad;***********************************        mov   edi,263*4+640*4*143        add   edi,edxPodWindow:        mov   eax,0xffa6ffff        xor   edx,edx        mov   dl,65DrawSomePixals:        mov   cl,104        rep   stosd        add   edi,640*4-104*4        dec   edx        jnz   DrawSomePixals        xor   eax,eax        mov   dl,65DrawaLine:        sub   edi,641*4        stosd        dec   edx        jnz   DrawaLine        mov   cl,104        rep   stosd    

Much small, but they do this for each tile etc.

NOTE: I know the image is a png, its just a example Wink.
Post 18 Nov 2006, 01:20
Maverick

Maverick
By the way, I come from game development (on the Amiga) and, while I'm doing something else right now, I'm returning to game development (on the PC). I've always had the intent to generate procedurally as many things as possible (gfx, snd fx, even music and levels). Not only to reduce download size, but also to overcome my many limitations.
For example, if I won't manage to make a good "fractal" music generator, at the very least I could write a program to help me make music. How? E.g. start with a random notes generator. Apply a filter that removes all dissonant sequences of notes. Add another filter that e.g. only allows to pass through to notes that belong to the pentatonic scale. Voila', you've a lame blues generator, but only which may start giving you ideas for some riffs, etc.. The more filters you add, the better bases it will create. I don't know if that will be enough to call it a music generator, but at least I'm sure it could be a "I give you inspiration" program.
For gfx instead I mean it more seriously, mostly doing things that I then discovered are already done by programs like InkScape, etc..
You save filesize (since disk space is not a problem nowadays, I'm thinking to use the disk as a "cache", i.e. not like kkrieger does, which generates the textures at each run, but I plan to do it only at the first run (a bit like an installer which decompresses its files)).
The level generation part would probably work more like the music one, i.e. just like a (big maybe) aid to the designer.
In any case, I think it's a fascinating field.
Post 18 Nov 2006, 06:55
rugxulo

rugxulo
Maverick, if you want to put music in your (distant? future) programs, how about modules (like from the Amiga)? Since uFMOD supports FASM, and Skale is a free .XM composer, then all you need is a little inspiration for the music: Van Halen and Sammy Hagar are my personal favorites. Smile

But, really, since you mentioned pentatonic scale, let me mention a few things which you may or may not already know (not that I really play guitar anymore, but I used to):

• major pentatonic: C D E G A (1 2 3 5 6)
  • minor pentatonic: A C D E G (1 b3 4 5 b7)
  • major scale: C D E F G A B (1 2 3 4 5 6 7)
  • mixolydian mode of major scale: G A B C D E F (1 2 3 4 5 6 b7)
  • blues scale: A C D Eb E G (1 b3 4 b5 5 b7)
  • mixo-blues scale: combination of mixolydian and blues (used by Clapton and SRV)
  • minor scale (Aeolian mode): A B C D E F G (1 2 b3 4 5 b6 b7)
  • harmonic minor: A B C D E F G# (1 2 b3 4 5 b6 7)

Okay, not sure any of that will help, but oh well, just FYI.
Post 18 Nov 2006, 23:06
Maverick

Maverick
Thanks ragxulo, nice info concentrated in a useful way.

Van Halen is my fav guitarist and one of my fav groups as well. Others are Dream Theater, Joe Satriani, Yngwie Malmsteen, and the '80s in general (also the British New Wave genre, which is not exactly hard rock).

Modules are an excellent way to make music, but I'm affected by the NIH Syndrome ( for medical information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Not_Invented_Here ) and thus I've already written my own system and player.

I like the way you wrote down the notes' cardinals, I use to express notes this way too (in my mind and own development at least), but I use semitones (half steps), since they're more "mathematically" natural, so to speak, being the same distance between each two adiacent of them.

Just to contribute to your interesting post, I'd like to add (using the system I just described, i.e. semitones, where 0 and 12 are the same note but with an octave of difference) chords, complete with their rotations:

Code:

M (Major):
0-4-7
0-3-8
0-5-9

m (Minor):
0-3-7
0-4-9
0-5-8

sus2 (Suspended Second):
0-2-7
0-5-10
0-5-7

sus4 (Suspended Fourth):
0-5-7
0-2-7
0-5-10

3rd:
0-3-6
0-3-9
0-6-9

power:
0-5-12
0-7-12

7th (Dominant Seventh):
7 (Seventh):
0-4-7-10

M7 (Major Seventh):
0-4-7-11

m7 (Minor Seventh):
0-3-7-10

aug (Augmented):

dim (Diminished):

---

Half Steps = Intervals
 0         = Prime
 1         = Minor Second
 2         = (Major) Second
 3         = Minor Third
 4         = (Major) Third
 5         = Fourth
 6         = ????  how would you call it?
 7         = Fifth
 8         = Minor Sixth
 9         = (Major) Sixth
10         = Minor Seventh
11         = (Major) Seventh
12         = Octave

---

Scales: <-- this is what I had, expressed in a graphical way though.
I will update it with your other scales, and express it also via semitones.

00 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11

**       **    **       **    **    **   pentatonic

**    **    ** **    **    **    ** **   major scale

**    ** **    **    ** **    **    **   minor scale

**    ** **    **    ** **       ** **   harmonic minor scale

**    ** **    **    **    **    ** **   melodic minor scale (when ascending)
**    ** **    **    ** **    **    **   melodic minor scale (when descending - already inverted)

PS: a link worth visiting:
http://mywebpage.netscape.com/manuevarghese/music/theorychords.html
Post 19 Nov 2006, 12:11
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
Maverick: AT LEAST somebody who hates mixing 7-tone into our 12-tone music system. i use semitones for describing scales and chords (in my head) too.

"backward compatibility" in music sucks sooooooo much.
Post 19 Nov 2006, 12:16
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
rugxulo

rugxulo
Here's a few other tips: the harmonic minor scale can be used (in thirds) to form various chords (at least in three-note form: min, dim, aug, min, maj, maj, dim, min), so it is often a good choice for melodies/soloing (I think Satriani uses the 5th mode of it, aka Phrygian Dominant, a lot).

Others use the major and blues scales frequently (e.g., mixo-blues, like I mentioned before, which has both flatted and major third, so it's good for major and minor chords as well as 7ths). The actual b3 and b7 are often played a microtone or so sharp(?) in blues (i.e., the pitch directly between two adjacent frets on a guitar, I think).

Of course, all this "theory" can be overkill and might not help. BUT, do as Steve Morse does, and combine your favorite scale (e.g., mixo-blues or harmonic minor) with the chromatic runs (yes, the chromatic is actually a scale).

In other words, as EVH says, "There's only 12 notes, so how you mix 'em up is your business," and, "If it sounds good, it is good." It's often important to leave space, some breathing room, don't overplay.

As far as chords go, I can't help you much there: too many useless forms to memorize, IMO. All you really need to know is C6 (C E G A) is also known as Am7 (A C E G), and G7 is somewhat related to C#7 (since both share B and F as either the major 3rd or 7th). Oh, and Cdim7 (C Eb Gb Bbb) is really just a 7b9 (e.g., B7b9: B D# F# A C) without the root (there are only four distinct diminished chords, right?).

Or something like that. Very Happy
Post 19 Nov 2006, 18:21
Maverick

Maverick
BTW: since you know this stuff much better than me: does the 6 half steps interval have a name? Smile

If not, why?
Post 19 Nov 2006, 20:18
rugxulo

rugxulo
For the record, I don't know that much really, just a few tidbits. Anyways, here's what a book I have (Scales and Modes in the Beginning - Ron Middlebrook) says (paraphrased):

Quote:

C major scale: C D E F G A B C

intervals:
C C - perfect prime
C D - major 2nd
C E - major 3rd
C F - perfect 4th
C G - perfect 5th
C A - major 6th
C B - major 7th
C +C - perfect 8ve (octave)

In other words, for a major scale, it's: perfect, major, major, perfect, perfect, major, major, perfect.

Perfect intervals are those involving two tones that are in each others scales. (e.g., while D is in the C scale, C is not in the D scale. In the D scale it's C#, thus the 2nd step is called a major interval).

Intervals are altered in the following ways:

1. Major intervals reduced one half step become minor.
  2. Perfect intervals reduced one half step become diminished.
  3. Minor intervals reduced one half step become diminished.
  4. Major and perfect intervals increased one half step become augmented.

C Gb - diminished 5th of C
Post 20 Nov 2006, 20:30

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: