flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > ASM newsfeeds

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
catacomb came before wolfenstein 3D. It's engine was roughly same as Wolf's, but with EGA graphics. It was same kind of 3D as wolf - raycasting for every column, stretching texture column due to distance, drawing objects against wall z-buffer.

and also Terminator: Future Shock was VERY close to full 3D.

oh, and i also finished Half Life, newest game i liked. And i did it on touchpad, without mouse Very Happy
Post 07 Nov 2006, 00:12
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
i forgot to mention:

i also finished: Spear of destiny, Blake Stone shareware and Strife (nice game)

for those who would like to play some of 'em:
http (:) (/) (/) www.arcades3d (.) com (/) juegos (.) php
Post 07 Nov 2006, 00:18
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
okasvi

okasvi
Duke Nukem 3D was okay but after my friends told me about cheating codes it became really boring game Very Happy

werent the codes like 'dnstuff' or something like that Smile
Post 07 Nov 2006, 03:38
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
so just don't use cheats Wink
Post 07 Nov 2006, 07:46
Raedwulf

Raedwulf
That's interesting, I loved these old games, in particular wolf3d, Spear Of Destiny
Countless hours on Blakestone (Demo lol) , and DukeNukem 2 ( the '2d' version)

Didn't really like dukenukem 3d, but then in those days i was young and was a poor player Smile
Now...bring it on Razz - I'm much better and i get accused of cheating alot on quakeIII and Enemy Territory Razz - but thats a sign of greatness Wink

Oddly enough, was writing a Wolf3d port in Visual Basic using OpenGL for gfx (ok im crap at opengl, most the code for opengl was done by my mCool
Everything is loaded except the animations and the gameplay.

www.natas8.com - think its on there somewhere...... ubt as you all are FASM-addicts I doubt it would appeal to you Razz, but who knows

Cheers.

Post 07 Nov 2006, 09:06
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
i also finished duke nukem 1. It was good game. I never had DN2, just demo which imho sucked. DN 1 was much better.

by the way, how about Another World? That was one of the top 5 games in universe Wink
And how many of you did play Another World 2 (it's named differently Razz ), and found out how did the story end? Razz Razz Razz Razz
Post 07 Nov 2006, 12:49
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
I used to play the Infocom text adventures. After that, when everything switched to graphics screens, I lost interest in playing computer games. I felt the games lost the involvement of the players imagination and thought processes. I kind of felt that my mind was not being stretched enough and sought other ways to challenge myself.

I don't mean this to belittle the current genre of games, just that my perception of them is somewhat biased by my exposure with past games and how one approaches the whole concept of computer games.

Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy (all of them: game, book, radio series and tv series (but not the movie)) were the best of breed. The game captured the humour and talent of Douglas Adams. After Douglas died some years ago I went back though my archives and fired up the game. The game still offered me much pleasure and I encountered situations I had not previously seen. Another humourous game from Infocom is Leather Goddesses of Phobos.

Oops, sorry, way way off topic, but, hehe, he started it, not me!
Post 07 Nov 2006, 15:10
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
revolution: i felt same with new 3D games. with another dimension, they lost dimension of playability
Post 07 Nov 2006, 15:12
f0dder

f0dder
http://board.flatassembler.net/topic.php?p=47559#47559

Another World/Out Of This World, depending on whether you live in europe or the USA. Great game indeed - and pretty damn hard. AW2 would be FlashBack - pretty different, and many people didn't like it because of that, but still good IMHO. Later on followed "fade to black", which again is pretty weird, was very unstable for me, and I only ever had the demo - but I liked it.

Just to throw in some names of other games that meant a lot to me: Monkey Island, Maniac Mansion, Zak McCracken, Day Of The Tentacle, Alone In The Dark, Prince Of Persia...

Post 07 Nov 2006, 15:14
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
many people believe Flashback is AW2. No, it isn't. There is real AW2. Continues after hero and buddy fly on pterodactyle from city, and land in buddy's home village. In this part previous hero is too wounded, so you are playing buddy.

and now try to google it Wink Razz

PS: game itself sucks, it's more similar to flashback (but worser), or prince of persia, than original AW. but it has wonderful animations, and interesting ending of the story.
Post 07 Nov 2006, 15:40
f0dder

f0dder
Hm, a real AW2? Didn't know about that!
Post 07 Nov 2006, 15:43
rugxulo

rugxulo
ScummVM has some nifty games for download.

Or try Jetpack or Squarez.

Or try Lure of the Temptress.

Here's Ken's Labyrinth, too.

P.S. Try DOSBOX 0.65 if you want to run Major Stryker (no patch needed) or BioMenace (needs tiny, 180-byte, updated-for-0.65 DOSBOX BIO.RAR patch).

Also, new Sam and Max episodes are being developed/released soon! Very Happy
Post 07 Nov 2006, 19:42
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
allright, seems some people have problems finding old games. try googling for "abandonware", non-english sites are often better (there was great french-abandonware lately, but it was banned Sad )
Post 08 Nov 2006, 00:15
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
what (free) usenet server do you use to get newsfeeds from ALA and CLAX?
Post 22 Nov 2006, 17:56
OzzY

OzzY
I don't like 3D graphics.
I prefer 2D or 2D isometric ones.
I hate those people that say that a good MMORPG for example must have good 3D graphics. The 3D graphics just kill this kind of game, which a general vision over the map is required. I prefer isometric graphics like the forever best MMORPG: Ultima Online. Best game I ever played.
After all MMORPG's are about history, imagination and conversation (not fancy graphics).

Also, for shooting games I don't like 3D graphics too. I think they try turn the game into a high-quality movie graphics that it's no longer playable.
Old games rule! In the age they didn't had good machine resources they made good games with lots of fun! They were true game programmers.
Games like Super Mario for example will never die in people's minds.

I used to play War Craft II, Alone in the Dark, Tomb Raider II, Mortal Kombat II, Street Fighter II, RoadRash... ahh good times!

Also, a nice game I played and still play is Postal 2 - Share the pain.
Much better than GTA! Very Happy
Post 22 Nov 2006, 20:22

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: