flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > ASM newsfeeds

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
which ones are there? i know about:
alt.lang.asm
comp.lang.asm.x86

but no idea which are worth of reading

and how to subscribe them? i would prefer using opera's client, i need to know protocol and URLs
Post 25 Oct 2006, 13:06
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
Madis731

Madis731
I tried some, but I could only subscribe to Mozillas SVG list Razz because it was Mozilla Smile

These can be read from Google I think - I haven't tried though
Post 27 Oct 2006, 13:07
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
i know, i tried reading them via google. but i want to post there too Sad
Post 27 Oct 2006, 13:17
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
rugxulo

rugxulo
vid, I've posted via Google Groups to comp.lang.asm.x86 before with my Google/Gmail account. Want a Gmail invite? (anyone else??)
Post 28 Oct 2006, 03:23
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Madis731

Madis731
I have a Google account - so you can ask either rugxulo or me to be invited...
Post 28 Oct 2006, 09:55
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
i think vid@google.com is already used Sad((
but allright, gimme one...

thanks.

and, please describe how to post with it
Post 28 Oct 2006, 11:01
f0dder

f0dder
I personally use Outlook Express for news (and only for news!) - haven't found a NNTP client that's as lightweight and clean-and-easy interface Sad. You gotta grab "OE QuoteFix" for it though, fixes a couple of annoyances.

Most ISPs (at least here in .dk Smile ) offer free newsgroup access - but they tend to block IPs not from their own block (ie., only free access for their customers, fair enough I guess).

CLAX is a nice enough newsgroup, since it's moderated - but as the name implies, it's x86 biased.

ALA has a more broad topic, but the signal/noise ratio is low; betov and hutch-- troll there a lot, Randall Hyde always keep up the fight against betov... and well... see for yourself Razz. Some of those flamewars can be pretty humorous, and there's some okay stuff inbetween sometimes.
Post 28 Oct 2006, 12:32
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
rugxulo

rugxulo
Sometimes ALA has posts/replies that aren't in CLAX, but yeah, I can't help but be amazed at the still-ongoing arguments there (man, those guys never give up!) though I'm impartial to all of 'em.

vid, email me at rugxulo AT gmail DOT com, and I'll send you a Gmail invite. (Anyone else here can too, I've got about 100 invites left, for now).

To post via Google Groups, sign in via your Google account (same account as Gmail), go to http://www.google.com, click More ... Groups. Then, type "comp.lang.asm.x86" in the top search box. Find a post, click "show options" then "Reply" then type away! (Then "send", of course ... but you'll have to wait for your post to be approved by the moderators: it'll show up usually in less than a day or so).
Post 28 Oct 2006, 16:48
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
i've got the account now. thanks guys!
Post 29 Oct 2006, 09:24
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
FINALLY i get it....

for those stupid like me:
CLAX = comp.lang.asm.x86
ALA = alt.lang.asm

Very Happy
Post 30 Oct 2006, 16:41
f0dder

f0dder
*grin*
Post 31 Oct 2006, 00:12
okasvi

okasvi
I was browsing old threads around asm-related boards tonight and started wondering, f0dder, where does you nick come from? I didnt bother to check the meaning of 'fodder' but I remember playing a game called 'cannon fodder' maaany years ago when I got into computers... just wondering... Razz 06:43am I should go to sleep Very Happy

edit: VERY offtopic but this is in heap so I guess it wont hurt anyone Smile
Post 06 Nov 2006, 04:43
f0dder

f0dder
okasvi: I did enjoy Cannon Fodder as well, but it's not where I picked my nickname from.

Instead, it's from good old DOOM - and more specifically, the Memento Mori 3rd-party episode. I was playing coop with a friend, and there was some pretty hard levels... in one if you died, you had to run through large parts of the map again, to get the colored key-cards - the doors didn't stay open. That map was also filled with arch-viles (those nasty bastards with a deadly flame attack and ability to resurrect dead monsters).

To avoid wasting too much time gathering the key-cards again, I distracted the monsters while my friend picked up the keycards - so I was cannon fodder. Dunno why the nickname stuck, but it did Smile - oh, and the '0' instead of 'o' was a typo, but I kept is as a sarcastic reference to leet-speak.
Post 06 Nov 2006, 06:36
okasvi

okasvi
heh, ok. Smile

quake > wolfenstein3D > doom... I had no working soundcard at the time when I completed doom, so maybe that's why I dont remember it being as good as quake or wolfenstein3d...

edit: totally forgot, first game I played via lan against my friends, ROTT; Rise of the Triad or something, it was cool like 10years ago Very Happy
bleh, I should go to sleep :S
Post 06 Nov 2006, 13:06
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
i have just revisited my leaks from past, and finished Heretic, Hexen, Doom1, Catacomb 1 and 2 on hard level.

Still finishing ROTT, Doom2, Catacomb 3.
Post 06 Nov 2006, 13:15
f0dder

f0dder
Ultimate Doom (the extra episode "thy flesh consumed" added for doom1) was pretty damn hard on Nightmare... Smile

I never played through doom2 single player, but it was nifty in multi - coop as well as deathmatch. ROTT was fun in multiplayer too, but damn that was one buggy game. And duke nukem 3D - damn that was a lot of fun too Smile

Post 06 Nov 2006, 14:09
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
unfortunately i can't figure out a way to run terminator:future shock and skynet Sad

oh, and i almost completed system shock. *great* game. i just couldn't kill final boss Sad
Post 06 Nov 2006, 14:29
rugxulo

rugxulo
<USELESS TRIVIA rant follows>

I'm no Doom (or FPS) historian, but ...

Wolfenstein 3D (compiled w/ Turbo C) was a simple raycaster with square rooms. Most people would say that it was the first real FPS. Doom (late 1993, Watcom C) was "2.5D", BSP trees, round rooms, weird lighting, and modem play. Quake (DJGPP) was "real 3D", and a big overall improvement.

The general consensus seems to be that the Atari Jag version of Doom was the best console port (much better than the 32x "front-view only of enemies" version or the censored "rats instead of dogs" SNES port). The GBA version of Doom 2 is reportedly a better port than the first.

All of these (PC versions, at least, as well as Jag port of Doom) have had source released by id, not to mention other popular games (mostly from 3D Realms): ROTT, all? of Duke Nukem 3D, AvP/PC, Descent, most of Descent 2, Shadow Warrior, Ken's Labyrinth, etc. ... although a few like ROTT or Duke Nukem 3D are still shareware for the data files).

Doom is available on XBox Live now (for a fee, "possibly more to come"). Also, if you bought Doom 3 (XBox), it included Doom 1 and 2. Return to Castle Wolfenstein had Wolfenstein 3D if you beat the game (with an extra prologue? level or whatever instead of just starting out with a knife from killing the guard without explanation). Quake 4 for XBox 360 comes with Quake 2.

(P.S. Corrections are welcome, hope I didn't get this info wrong!)

</USELESS TRIVIA>

Last edited by rugxulo on 06 Nov 2006, 19:49; edited 2 times in total
Post 06 Nov 2006, 19:45
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
Quote:
Wolfenstein 3D (compiled w/ Turbo C) was a simple raycaster with square rooms. Most people would say that it was the first real FPS

bullshit, look at Catacomb series.
Post 06 Nov 2006, 19:47
f0dder

f0dder
Catacomb Abyss came before wolfenstein 3d? Can't really remember, it's years ago. The name Catacomb does make me thing of EGA video mode where wolf3d was some mode-x iirc, so it's probably older. Most people I know consider wolf3d as the first fps for the PC, though... probably because w3d was more widely, ahem, distributed Smile

Btw iirc doom used some sort of "texture floodfill" for the floors, and the wall rendering was also done in a slightly funky way - quake was when the world as well as the rendering became "real 3d".
Post 06 Nov 2006, 22:58

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: