flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Feedback > marking political/religious threads

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
is here anyone, who feels offended by political/religious threads, and who will NOT read the thread if it is marked as such?
Post 07 Jan 2007, 07:28
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
shoorick

shoorick
such discussions are normal, but personally, i do not like to see them here. i even think it is possible to make separate thread in the heap "political/religion" and even make it invisible for guests.
Post 07 Jan 2007, 09:36
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
quasar

quasar
I can understand that asm coders have political and religion beliefs but there are many other forums for such discussions.
Post 07 Jan 2007, 10:22
Tomasz Grysztar

Tomasz Grysztar
quasar wrote:
I can understand that asm coders have political and religion beliefs but there are many other forums for such discussions.

I agree. We may give some recommendations maybe?

I'm sometimes reading this forum: http://www.faithfreedom.org/forum/index.php?sid=46b879dfbde7e081908486c29c777e6e
and I find it interesting.
Post 07 Jan 2007, 11:21
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Hell_Killer_SS

Hell_Killer_SS
Very unusual thread! you better choice of which forum to post it on... (Don't you forget! Delete improper threads)
Post 07 Jan 2007, 15:09
tom tobias

tom tobias
Tomasz wrote:
I'm sometimes reading this forum: http://www.faithfreedom.org/forum/index.php?sid=46b879dfbde7e081908486c29c777e6e
and I find it interesting.
Not dull, not boring, not UNinteresting, but also NOT as useful as similar topics discussed on FASM forum, simply because lurking beneath our political/religious diatribes is an interest in assembly language programming, and this influence is absent at the Islamic forum indicated above.....
Further, the FASM forum engenders a kind of openness and transparency that is absent in a general purporse religious forum such as that suggested, above. Finally, it is worth noting that this link is HEAVILY dependent upon controversy surrounding Islam, which, I personally find VERY DULL. I am much more attracted to controversy surrounding Judaism, not only because of my own ancestry, but because of the several thousand year recorded history of Jews, documenting their bestiality towards other humans. By comparison, the recorded history of damage, chaos, and destruction committed by the Muslims is less comprehensive. Muslims, to me, are relative amateurs on the stage of terrorism, the Jews are the masters, Christians their poor disciples. A forum, such as the one referenced by Tomasz, devoted to discussing Mohammed, giving that Arab some kind of unique credibility, is disinteresting to me. I am far more intrigued by Zarathustra, than Mohammed. As between King Solomon, or Alexander of Macedonia, I would find them both very much livelier, in the context of today's troubles, than any Muslim prophet, with the possible exception of my hero, Ibn Sina, who was imprisoned, perhaps because of excessive reliance upon Greek (Socrates, Plato, Aristotle, ergo atheist) thinkers, in his writings as a Muslim Cleric.
Smile
Post 07 Jan 2007, 18:37
kohlrak

kohlrak
I almost always avoid threads marked about religion (unless i create them) and depending on my mood, i'll ignor political threads.
Post 07 Jan 2007, 18:42
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
MichaelH

MichaelH
Generally most topics in Heap are nonsense and I'd rather there wasn't a Heap section but what too do with threads posted in other forums that are nonsense?

Political/religious threads, I agree with quasar and Tomasz, it's a big world out there, surely these topics can be discussed else where. However if this is not to happen, I like Tom's suggestion of discussing the documented past of various religion's (not just Jews) bestiality towards other humans and the rather interesting subject to me of the dichotomy of most religions into two distinct groups, one humble and good and one not humble and willing to kill for their belief. However I see no good coming of such discussions.
Post 07 Jan 2007, 20:14
rugxulo

rugxulo
Heap is useless? Well, mostly, but sometimes it can be interesting (although I was a bit disappointed nobody responded to simple XBox or The Broth/Mosaic threads). I even yesterday posted there about the 64-byte Hugi Xmas Compo (since it wasn't directly FASM related). Was that correct or would another subforum been more appropriate? (DOS? If so, moderator, please move it there.)

And obviously, this thread right here reads like an unofficial poll to avoid religion/politics in threads. Hope I can take the hint (despite my wonky memory). Razz
Post 08 Jan 2007, 00:49
DOS386

DOS386
Quote:
such discussions are normal, but personally, i do not like to see them here. i even think it is possible to make separate thread in the heap "political/religion" and even make it invisible for guests.

Suggestion:

- Rename "Heap" to "Troll corner" and hide it from guests & Google

- Create a "Non-ASM programming & advanced computer usage" subforum

- Create a rule: up to 5% posts to "Troll corner"

- Move some recent threads

Title: Hello World program compiles to 100 KB !!!

Post 08 Jan 2007, 00:54
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
Quote:
And obviously, this thread right here reads like an unofficial poll to avoid religion/politics in threads.
not at all. All I was interested in was, if there is at least one person that could benefit from tagging kohlrak proposed.

Only he said he would, but it contradicts with his activity in all kind of such threads.

So this is my answer: no one here would benefit from such tagging
Post 08 Jan 2007, 02:11
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
kohlrak

kohlrak
Quote:
Political/religious threads, I agree with quasar and Tomasz, it's a big world out there, surely these topics can be discussed else where. However if this is not to happen, I like Tom's suggestion of discussing the documented past of various religion's (not just Jews) bestiality towards other humans and the rather interesting subject to me of the dichotomy of most religions into two distinct groups, one humble and good and one not humble and willing to kill for their belief. However I see no good coming of such discussions.

I see plenty of topics where nothing good will come from them. Perhaps if we made another board below the heap and warn that it might not get moderated because it's a huge hassle to moderate such a board.

Quote:
And obviously, this thread right here reads like an unofficial poll to avoid religion/politics in threads. Hope I can take the hint (despite my wonky memory).

Agreed.

Quote:
- Rename "Heap" to "Troll corner" and hide it from guests & Google

Sounds about good so far, only some topics there are useful and not political. Things like "how to deal with stress" or "good joke thread."

Quote:
Only he said he would, but it contradicts with his activity in all kind of such threads.

But the results of my contradiction is indeed proving my argument. I figured that it would be a little more safe to enter such threads because of my post here, i assumed that people would be more tame since they would be watched.

Quote:
So this is my answer: no one here would benefit from such tagging

You would. If a fight abrupts, you don't have to go through that long debate again, instead you could easily say that they were warned. And you're less likely to feel obligated to give some one a second chance if action needs to be taken, so if they are a bad egg you don't have to worry about dealing with their trouble a second time. Usually when i argue a point, i try to speak for people other than myself. The topic "Krakow and General Abizaid" ticked me off immediatly when i read it, but i thought i might have been getting into a short history lesson, since i'm not familiar with "Abizaid." If i knew he was posting a topic of high contraversy, i would have avoided it (due to some experience with some of his political views).
Post 08 Jan 2007, 05:10
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
kohlrak: you are the only one here who has problem with that. We will not change the board just because of you.
Post 08 Jan 2007, 06:39
kohlrak

kohlrak
well, if you did i'd feel so guilty i'd have to leave. Razz As for continueing the argument that certain threads should be locked, n oone heeded my warning, so i'll let things go the way they are and pray that this one won't end up like the others before it that i've been to.
Post 08 Jan 2007, 06:47
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
they didn't end up much bad. you should talk with Betov to see some offense Very Happy
Post 08 Jan 2007, 07:09
kohlrak

kohlrak
Meh, i've seen some debates that resulted in even less moderator control over a single board, but that was bound to happen anyway, cause the moderators have never had much control. So many of the voulunteer moderators quit all the time, no one even knows who moderates and who dosn't anymore. Sometimes it's fun to start a political topic there just to see some of the far, far left opinions there. (Considering that the site is run by the children visitors who are, since they're children, way more obligated to accept liberal ideas.) Every once in a while you'll get a Hitler that says blow up the world, but usually they are people sitting there who feel their only purpose in life is to contradict everything that's said there. The moderation is so sick, that they have over 100 boards (seriously) and they still wonder why they constantly have space issues. Then the guy who hosts it talks about moving it from C++ cgi source to C# cgi source... Anyway, at least i know that this place would be shut down long before it would reach the GameTalk stage. At least, i hope...
Post 10 Jan 2007, 06:32
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
kohlrak: being you, i wouldn't say about "children visitors". You are younger than most (if not all) your opposers, so YOU are the "children visitor" in this case.

and if you don't try to contradict things they say you, then you can be pretty easily manipulated. someone says you something, it's obviously not true, but you don't even try to contradict it, and believe it.
Post 10 Jan 2007, 07:07
kohlrak

kohlrak
Quote:
and if you don't try to contradict things they say you, then you can be pretty easily manipulated. someone says you something, it's obviously not true, but you don't even try to contradict it, and believe it.

I've made a habit to not bother replying to total B.S. lately, with a few odd exceptions, of course.
Post 10 Jan 2007, 11:56
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
your argumentation skill keeps me amazed
Post 10 Jan 2007, 12:19
kohlrak

kohlrak
Why, thank you.
Post 10 Jan 2007, 20:29

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: