flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > C vs C++ for kernel programming?

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
DataHunter2009

DataHunter2009
People, honestly... my original question was related to the pitfalls of using C++ to write a kernel, such as the different things I would have to deal with. I did not ask what the difference between C and C++ was, and I certainly did not want this topic to become a base for an argument. So, can we stay on track, please?

Wink
Post 30 Sep 2006, 02:12
Maverick

Maverick
DataHunter2009, write a kernel in C and then rewrite it [properly] in C++, and you'll know which is better by most points of view!

That's the route I followed and I don't miss C that much, just like I don't miss many high level C++ features. Maybe Bjarne should have created C+=0.5 rather than C++, so a lot of academical pointless remarks I've read in this thread about C++ being or not a superset of C could have been hopefully avoided.

Maybe if one wants to be a bit serious and constructive about the argument he can read this: http://www.research.att.com/~bs/bs_faq.html#C-is-subset
Post 01 Oct 2006, 09:28
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
RedGhost

RedGhost
Maverick wrote:

Maybe if one wants to be a bit serious and constructive about the argument he can read this: http://www.research.att.com/~bs/bs_faq.html#C-is-subset

That article mentions even less of the numerous differences than I did in previous posts.

That article also assumes using C++ keywords as variables, or not casting between short * and int * is "poor C coding", which it is not. That would only be poor if either pointer went uninitialized, a cast doesn't solve this.

Post 02 Oct 2006, 11:21
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger Reply with quote

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: