flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > Test Your Configuration for the FASM WebCast

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
HyperVista

HyperVista
I've posted a test video on the FASM Technical Discussion webcast site so you can test your system configurations any time you want in advance of the webcast, which is scheduled for Saturday September 30 at 1330 GMT. I don't have to be here and broadcasting for you to test your configurations.

The test video screen is in the Lower Left Hand Corner of the Page - scroll to the bottom and will start automatically when the page loads. The video is not exciting, just my display in my dimly lit home office with the stereo on in the background. Tweak your system configurations until you see video and hear audio. I'll taking the test video screen down Wednesday September 27 before leaving for Krakow.

Testing thus far indicates the best configuration is IE 6 or Firefox with the java runtime installed. If you find other good configurations, post them here so others can adjust their systems as needed.

I want to thank marcelo.sabino, vid, and f0dder for helping test today.

Test you configurations soon. You don't want to be f#cking with your rig the day of the webcast!

Test here: http://www.hypervista-technologies.com

HyperVista
Post 21 Sep 2006, 02:09
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
RedGhost

RedGhost
I am in class now, I will test when I get home.

I will test on Firefox and then Opera and see if there are any problems with the default installs, I'm sure people already have Java intalled or what have you. If someone runs KDE they could test Konqueror. I didn't know people actually used IE though Smile

Post 21 Sep 2006, 04:01
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger Reply with quote
daver

daver
Hi

All seems to be working well with Mozilla Seamonkey on Windows XP Pro here .

Cheers

Dave
Post 21 Sep 2006, 06:58
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
doesn't work in opera, works in IE
Post 21 Sep 2006, 07:18
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
f0dder

f0dder
Worked fine in FireFox 1.5 with sun java on 32bit XP-SP2. Seems to require ~25kb/s of bandwidth on average.
Post 21 Sep 2006, 08:41
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
wisepenguin

wisepenguin
video works for me

i have xp pro sp2, IE 6, and no java runtime installed
Post 21 Sep 2006, 08:50
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
Works in WinXPSP2, IE6.0, no Java. Steady at 183kb/s
Post 21 Sep 2006, 09:02
tom tobias

tom tobias
Quote:

the best configuration is IE 6 or Firefox with the java runtime installed
The chat window does not work WITHOUT installing Java runtime:
http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp
IE 6, xpsp2, steady at 183 kb/sec;
For those wishing to test some music instead of the noise on HV's setup:
http://www.kusc.org/php/index.php
Smile
Post 21 Sep 2006, 09:09
HyperVista

HyperVista
Tom Tobias wrote:
Quote:
noise on HV's setup

Nine Inch Nails and Smashing Pumpkins, etc. "noise"??? Very Happy

I looked at the average age of of the guys on this board and decided to go with "ethel" (xm satellite radio channel for "alternative" rock) as the test background audio. Cool I figured it was a good choice when i asked f0dder if he could hear the audio and his only response was "smashing pumpkins"!

Thanks for providing the link to java, Tom. If anyone has any ideas on how to modify the html to make it Opera friendly, let me know.

It looks like we're set for the fasm technical discussion webcast. We'll send out a "schedule" later. Thanks to all who helped me configure and test the system out! A special thanks to locodelassembly who worked with me way past 0200 local time the first evening.

@Tom - i'll try to get some video of shuffleboard with Vivaldi in the background for you to test with. Laughing seriously, thanks for suggesting the webcast ... great idea.

Cheers!
Post 21 Sep 2006, 10:30
f0dder

f0dder
HyperVista wrote:

I figured it was a good choice when i asked f0dder if he could hear the audio and his only response was "smashing pumpkins"!

too bad it wasn't NIN <3 Razz

Post 21 Sep 2006, 10:42
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly
I download the video at an average rate of 400 kbps with a selected bit rate of 183 kbps (there is no more bit rate options). Works in IE 32-bit on WinXP x64 edition, doesn't work on IE 64-bit.

BTW, you work with very few light, that's not healthy for your eyes!

When you arrive to Krakow I think you should try to check if it's possible to upload at higher rates, at least my connection seems to be able to handle 320 kbps stream without any trouble.

Regards
Post 21 Sep 2006, 12:59
HyperVista

HyperVista
locodelassembly wrote:
Quote:
you work with very few light, that's not healthy for your eyes!

it's not as dark in there as it appears in the video.

for those of who haven't installed the java runtime, you may want to consider doing so because the chat window needs java. we're going to use the chat window for you to ask questions and participate in the fasm technical discussions live (real time ... with about a 30 second delay), if you want to do so.
Post 21 Sep 2006, 17:54
vbVeryBeginner

vbVeryBeginner
i think i am the most incompatible user :p
i use opera with no java installed !! :p
nevertheless, i still hope to grab the recorded .avi and print screen u guys face out and send it to fbi for most wanted fasm guys!! :p

and wish the 1st (official) fasm meeting success and u guys have happy and interesting day there Smile
Post 21 Sep 2006, 20:29
HyperVista

HyperVista
okay .... new, more interesting and better lit test video up. even tom tobias would approve (@tom - you have to go about 2 or 3 minutes into it to find your happy place Smile ). you'll even see me, if you look hard enough.

@vbVeryBeginner - go get yourself a free copy of Firefox (http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/ and join us on the 30th. do consider getting the java runtime (i understand your reluctance, but you need it to chat during the fasm technical discussion - you can clean up java runtime afterward).
Post 21 Sep 2006, 20:59
gunblade

gunblade
Working fine under linux, although, not really within firefox, since mplayerplug-in loves being picky about when it wants to work and when it doesn't. But playing the stream using mplayer and having firefox open for the Java chat is just fine.
So I'll be watching next saturday, and thanks HyperVista for providing the bandwidth. Smile
Post 21 Sep 2006, 23:31
MHajduk

MHajduk
HyperVista:

HyperVista wrote:
just my display in my dimly lit home office

I saw Your office and I like it. Very Happy Do You work at home? Cool

BTW, this brown-haired pretty girl is Your sister, daughter or... wife? Wink

Regards,
M.H.
Post 22 Sep 2006, 09:23
HyperVista

HyperVista
Hello MH - that is my daughter, Allison. she was quite shocked Shocked to learn later that she was being seen all over the world via the FASM community.

I hope you've decided to join us in Krakow next week. language will be no barrier to good food, drinking, coding, and FASM. Very Happy

FYi, for those travelling to Krakow Thurs/Fri of next week, bring an umberella and jacket Confused Favorite weather link: http://www.weatherunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=Krakow%2C+Poland
Post 22 Sep 2006, 10:21
tom tobias

tom tobias
Quote:

that is my daughter, Allison
There is something very powerful, even magnetic, about peering into the life of someone else. wow, wonderful display of your study. Great Camera! Thanks very much for sharing the intimate details! I particularly enjoyed observing your three (revised) volumes of Knuth, and the signed photo from George Bush the Elder, not to be confused with Pieter Bruegel the Elder. Nor with Elderberry wine. Wink The Igbo death mask reminds me of Ibadan.
http://www.nsu.edu/resources/woods/nigeria.htm
Your daughter, Allison, is both attractive and very cute.
Umm, about the music selection: I would like to cast a vote for POLISH composers. After all, this conference will take place in Krakow! Well, everyone knows Chopin, and his wonderful music,... no, I mean, Gorecki, Lutoslawski, and Penderecki: http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/profiles/lutoslawski.shtml
http://www.naxos.com/composerinfo/642.htm
http://www.penderecki.de/
http://www.cbc.ca/2newhours/penderecki.htm
http://www.usc.edu/dept/polish_music/composer/gorecki.html

I am especially fond of Gorecki's symphony number 3, though, I am not sure that listening to it would facilitate algorithmic contemplation.
All of these guys are excellent composers of the 20th century, and bring to mind my three all time favorite composers, none of whom happen to have been Polish:

Khatchaturian (especially Spartacus)
Shostakovich (especially string quartet number # eight)
Prokofiev (especially Alexander Nevsky)

Thanks for the excellent demonstration, looking forward to Saturday, 8 days from now.
? Can one play shuffleboard sitting in a chair? http://www.trigger.net/~sandy/game.htm
Will the exertion interfere with my oxygen mask? Will a spittoon be available to catch my drool? Smile
Post 22 Sep 2006, 18:32
HyperVista

HyperVista
tom - your skills at observation and your intellect never cease to amaze me. that mask is in fact from nigeria. it's an antique that i purchased on one of my visits to west africa.

thanks for the nice comments about my "Allie"
Post 22 Sep 2006, 18:47
OzzY

OzzY
It works OK for me.
Firefox, Java installed, WinXP SP2.
Post 23 Sep 2006, 01:40

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: