flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > Speed up internet connection?

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
OzzY

OzzY
Hi folks!
I have a 600kbps ADSL connection.
But my download just go around 25KB/s.
Do you know some programs or tricks to better configure the connection to speed up?

Thanks!
Post 14 Sep 2006, 16:15
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly
Possibly you have a 600 kbps plan but a 256 kbps sincronized line. In Argentina is very common such things because Telefonica do whatever they want with us because there are no regulations here... (and the same goes to Telecom but in my region I have Telefonica for the phone line and Speedy for Internet access).

Have you a modem with a telnet/web interface to check the sincronization speed?
Post 14 Sep 2006, 16:49
OzzY

OzzY
I used to have 256, then I changed to 600, because of promotional service.
But the speed never increased!!
I'm feeling very angry, and I think I'm gonna call them to tell my problem.
My modem is a Speed Stream.
Post 14 Sep 2006, 17:49
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly
Well that's typical, your ISP probably had changed your service to 600 kbps but you telephone company didn't change your line speed to 600 kbps (I had the same problem when Speedy offered to me 512). The worst of all is that my ISP is owned by Telefonica but they works as very separate companies (to get less legal issues and thief our money easily). I call them an after a week they solved my problem.

Another thing that you should take in mind is if the telephone central is not too far from you, the more far you are to the telephone central, the less speed you can synchronize.

Telefonica has solved this problem of plan upgradings by synchronizing all lines to 1024 kbps (but keeping the maximun speeds according to the contrated plan). This was terrible for many users because of the distance to the telephone central so they had to downgrade the line speedy back to original values to solve the problem for those users. Sometimes they offer speed they can't provide because of the distance, as you can see, they do whatever they want and over sell the service, with no rules they just try to get much money as possible without offering a good service (taking advantage of the monopoly of course).

Well now that I did my catharsis I tell you that you must call them and if possible ask them to check your line speed because maybe it's at 256 kbps. I just hope that the technical support of your ISP be competent because here is terrible, Speedy contracts people with no knowledge of networking (because of the cheaper salaries).

Good luck!!
[edit] Check http://sps.prima.com.ar:8080/speedzone/newindex.html and http://sps.prima.com.ar/speedzone/newindex.html . If with the first you get 600 kbps but with the second just 256 kbps then probably there is a HTTP proxy limiting the speed (this happens with one of the cablemodem services here in Argentina)[/edit]
Post 14 Sep 2006, 18:24
OzzY

OzzY
We have Speedy too here in Brazil.
But in my state there is only Velox (that I'm using) that's similar to speedy.

The support sux so bad. They know nothing. They said me to remove cookies in IE, and I said that I use Firefox, and they said that they don't support Firefox. What's the difference in removing cookies from IE or FF? I know the problem is there on the central but they say that they are experience problems and doing maintance, and say to me to call again in 1 hour. But this problem exist for about 1 month. ¬¬
I'm getting angry, the next call I'll start saying that if they don't fix my problem I'll have to cancel the service and use another one.
Post 14 Sep 2006, 19:00
OzzY

OzzY
The results of the test above:

First link:
Primera 128K tomo 4968 ms = 26383 Bytes/sec = Velocidad aproximada: 211 Kbps
Segunda 128K tomo 4985 ms = 26293 Bytes/sec = Velocidad aproximada: 210 Kbps
Tercera 128K tomo 5000 ms = 26214 Bytes/sec = Velocidad aproximada: 210 Kbps
Cuarta 128K tomo 5047 ms = 25970 Bytes/sec = Velocidad aproximada: 208 Kbps

Second link:
Primera 128K tomo 5000 ms = 26214 Bytes/sec = Velocidad aproximada: 210 Kbps
Segunda 128K tomo 5047 ms = 25970 Bytes/sec = Velocidad aproximada: 208 Kbps
Tercera 128K tomo 4984 ms = 26299 Bytes/sec = Velocidad aproximada: 210 Kbps
Cuarta 128K tomo 5125 ms = 25575 Bytes/sec = Velocidad aproximada: 205 Kbps
Post 14 Sep 2006, 19:03
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly
Here they use two methods to avoid the assistance, first they ask you if you have the modem in bridge mode, if not they say "it was a pleasure talking to you but call again when your modem has the appropiate setting", and the second is "well please press start button, go to execute, type cmd, type netstat -a, how many connections you have? Ok you have an spyware and that's the reason of your speed problems, bye bye". Ah, and of course if you say that you are using Linux they doesn't offer any assitance neither.

And finally, here you always need to call more than once because they after three days mark you problem in the system as solved independently of if they did something or not...

[edit] Please note that they use those methods to avoid the assistance even if your problem isn't a speed problem, the behavior of the people at the call center is simitar to an answering machine or a robot with a very simple AI.[/edit]
Post 14 Sep 2006, 19:30
OzzY

OzzY
Fixed it!! Very Happy
After lots of calls, this time I told that if they didn't fix it I'd cancel their service and call a lawyer! Laughing
They quickly changed their speech "Please call again in 1 hour" to "Let's see what we can do!".

My new speed:
Primera 128K tomo 2110 ms = 62119 Bytes/sec = Velocidad aproximada: 497 Kbps
Segunda 128K tomo 2047 ms = 64031 Bytes/sec = Velocidad aproximada: 512 Kbps
Tercera 128K tomo 2078 ms = 63076 Bytes/sec = Velocidad aproximada: 505 Kbps
Cuarta 128K tomo 2078 ms = 63076 Bytes/sec = Velocidad aproximada: 505 Kbps
Post 14 Sep 2006, 22:30
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly
Nice!! Very Happy

Don't forget to ask a price reduction for the month you had the half of the contracted speed!!

I must say that I'm impressed that they say to you "call in an hour", here we have to wait 3 days!! and if we call again before 3 days an answering machine (not a human this time) says "we are working in solve your current problem". Is very frustrating talk with Speedy's call center Sad . You can imagine how much time we need to solve our Internet problems if we need to call five times...
Post 14 Sep 2006, 23:14
OzzY

OzzY
Well, they said "call in an hour" everytime I called!! So, it could be a month or even an year if I didn't said I'd cancel the service if they didn't fix! Laughing
They just want our money and don't care about the quality. If you don't speak hard they will never solve your problem.
Post 15 Sep 2006, 14:00
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly
Yes, but at least you have the chance to talk hard in an hour, I have to wait 3 days to do that. With the telephone is different, unless someone has robbed the wires, you have a solution within the day (because they can be fined by the government if they not provide the service properly). But as I said, Internet isn't a regulated service so they have no problem in give a 256 kbps speed on 2048 kbps plans. Is incredible, we have two forums (forum.telecomsucks.com and www.speedyapesta.com.ar) which publish all the bad of those services but our government do nothing about that!! Mad Surely both companies pays to our legislators very well... We have the rights of free speech but no rights of good services...

That's what we have...
Post 15 Sep 2006, 14:47

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: