flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > Pluto not a planet anymore?

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
windwakr

windwakr

Post 24 Aug 2006, 15:01
HyperVista

HyperVista
Wonder what their thoughts are on Uranus? Laughing
Post 24 Aug 2006, 15:05
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
okasvi

okasvi
'Ur*' as 'Your'? Laughing
Post 24 Aug 2006, 16:09
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
Very Happy
Post 24 Aug 2006, 16:12
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
Maverick

Maverick
Don't worry, I'm making pressures on my government to make Pluto become the Italian's 21st region.

It won't remain alone.

Very Happy
Post 24 Aug 2006, 16:23
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Tomasz Grysztar

Tomasz Grysztar
I was tracking news from this conference from the beginning, and I must say that this seems to be not so bad decision. The problem with this definition is that it is affected not only by the features of objects itself, but also by its orbit and its neighbourhood. However any definition ignoring the placement of object would lead us to having at least a few dozens of planets, as many of the satellites of big planets (and maybe even our own Moon) would become a planets with such definition, as many of them are big enough even to have own atmosphere.
The other definition that excluded moons and concentrated only on roudness, led to adding at least Ceres, Charon and 2003 UB313 to the family of planets (BTW, Ceres was classified as planet for a short time after discovery, and was then de-classified and became asteroid, similar like the Pluto became a dwarf-planet now - so, it's not really the first time something like this happens), and still possibly some more.

I personally though it would be a nice thing to have the own-properties-only definition for a planet (perhaps the one requiring atmosphere), but it seems the astronomers in majority preferred to not add too many new planets. And with this purpose in mind, the decision they made seems to be very reasonable. We've got 8 planets again. Wink

If you want to follow how the debate procedeed from the beginning, read these in order:
http://skytonight.com/news/3580231.html
http://skytonight.com/news/3601616.html
http://skytonight.com/news/3707031.html
http://skytonight.com/news/wires?id=97160645&c=y

PS. And a very interesting blog: http://www.livescience.com/blogs/author/robbritt
Post 24 Aug 2006, 17:39
Maverick

Maverick
I wonder if Plutonians will invade us in anger now.
Post 24 Aug 2006, 20:09
Tomasz Grysztar

Tomasz Grysztar
Beware, they are cold-blooded. Wink
Post 24 Aug 2006, 20:31
RedGhost

RedGhost
Scientists always picking on the little guy!

Post 25 Aug 2006, 06:47
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger Reply with quote
Maverick

Maverick
Next step will be to declass also Jupiter because it is a quasi-star.
Post 25 Aug 2006, 07:14
Tomasz Grysztar

Tomasz Grysztar
Yeah, with placing the borderline between planets and brown dwarfs there was also a problem. But here is is a bit easier - generally the point is that star is the object capable of making some nuclear fusion inside, at least for short period. The Jupiter is still way too small for this (some of the planets discovered orbiting other stars have masses like dozens of Jupiters, but still are not brown dwarfs themselves).
Post 25 Aug 2006, 09:04
Maverick

Maverick
But AFAIK Jupiter emits energy/radiation nonetheless, so although there's no fusion, it still "shines" someway.

But I won't argue: if dealing with angry Plutonians ain't already difficult, imagine what it would be with furious Jupiterians (and how many there would be of them even with a small density per Km**2). Wink

*hiding on Deimos to prepare counterattack to save Earth*
Post 25 Aug 2006, 11:05
Tomasz Grysztar

Tomasz Grysztar
Well, Earth emits radiation, too. And consider the Io - this emits the whole lots of energy, even though is so small.
The ability to do the fusion under gravitational pressure is quite simply related to the mass of object, so it is very useful as a definition (since it's easy to categorize objects this way).
Post 25 Aug 2006, 11:40
UCM

UCM
What if we developed nuclear fusion as a power source? Would Earth no longer be a planet? Wink Laughing
Post 25 Aug 2006, 12:44
Tomasz Grysztar

Tomasz Grysztar
We already did the thermonuclear fusion on Earth. Just it was not because of the Earth's gravitational collapse.
Post 25 Aug 2006, 13:07
Maverick

Maverick
Hi Tomasz,
seriously, I totally agree with your definition of star, and I think it can be easily universally accepted.

IMHO a planet is a body that originated/formed in the orbit of a star. Since it appears that Pluto was a satellite (perhaps of Neptune) which escaped its original orbit to make a new one around the Sun, I think it's correct not to call it a planet (but maybe a "lost satellite" Smile ).

A satellite would be a body that originated/formed around an already existing planet (or that was forming at the same time), i.e. a system inside a system (just like we aren't planets of Vega but the Sun is a "starplanet" of Vega Very Happy ).

I don't know if this is the reasoning they used to define what is a planet and what is not, I don't even think they did (also because Ceres would possibly be a planet then, or maybe the satellite of a planet that either exploded or has never formed), but I like my definition anyway. Very Happy

Maybe comets are planets then? Razz

I don't like my definition anymore.

Laughing
Post 25 Aug 2006, 14:42
rugxulo

rugxulo
Okay, I disagree with their demotion of Pluto, but yes, of course, everyone is allowed to change their mind if more evidence appears (though I dislike the idea of truths that change over time).
Post 29 Aug 2006, 05:04

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: