flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > A more centralized OS development community

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
DataHunter2009

DataHunter2009
Bonafide is ok... sure, it's got a ton of good articles. But, it's not really a place I would want to visit often for operating system development. The new forums are horrible looking, and everything is so unorganized (for me at least). MegaTokyo is nice, also. But they have merged with Bonafide. I didn't like that MT only had ONE forum devoted to OS dev.

School will be starting for me soon, and I feel like I haven't accomplished anything over the summer. So this is my attempt at coming up with something worth-while that people will use. And before you think that school will keep me from developing this site, let me tell you that I managed to get good grades and still find time for my programming projects last year. Don't worry about that.

Basically, I want to use a system such as Drupal and create a completely organized and very friendly environment for both newbies and advanced OS devs. Drupal has a good category system, and it's forum system is quite nice, as well.

So, I was just wondering if I would be wasting my time, and if anyone is interested in it at all. I understand some of you may like Bonafide and MT, but I feel that so much more can be provided to the OS dev community. If you do like it, and have any suggestions, I would love to hear them. Very Happy
Post 10 Aug 2006, 23:51
zhak

zhak
Yup, I like the idea!
But new forum should be supported and visited by OSDev gurus, so that one could find an answer to every question he has. And, for this, it should be really well organized, or it will be already dead, when still not born.
It should be categorized to newbie/advanced/etc. sections, too.
It'd be nice if one could find there ANY document on OSDev he's looking for. With more attention devoted to modern and 64-bit systems.... As for me, I'm practicing on IA32, yet. But i'll get Core2 before winter, for sure. And then I'll devote my life to 64-bit coding....
Post 11 Aug 2006, 00:15
zhak

zhak
Drupal is good.... our QA team had a project on Drupal some time ago...
Post 11 Aug 2006, 00:19
vbVeryBeginner

vbVeryBeginner
support your idea! Smile really hard to find site that willing to teach "don't know" to "know"

if you play some online/offline game before, you would see some game introduce the game feature one by one, level by level. so the users become more and more expert, from don't know to know.

eg. runescape, where you could learn how to play that game in about 1 hour or less. (that means, their process to pass the knowledge to users are excellent).

i wonder could such concept be introduced for OS developing, or software developing.
Post 11 Aug 2006, 04:15
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Dex4u

Dex4u
Good idea, it would be good to have sections for differant programming languages and newbie etc.
I for one, found some people on MT intimidated by assembly programmer for example.

Also it would be cool to publish a on line mag, where coders could submit articles on OS Dev topics, this along with the forum would be a great help.
This was my idea (on-line OSDev mag), but too busy OS Dev-ing Wink .
Post 11 Aug 2006, 15:57
0x4e71

0x4e71
Very good idea.

B.F. of course has interesting material, often by folks from the a.o.d. newsgroup (though i don't like the air of typical academic snobbery over there (favor HLL, despise DOS, etc)), but i think their focus is a bit different.

As you say there's much more that can be done. thumbs up.
Post 11 Aug 2006, 17:53
DataHunter2009

DataHunter2009
Wow, I was actually expecting a bunch of flames from people who like Bonafide and MT, but certainly not 100% approval. Razz I'm working with my web host at the moment to find the best CMS for the job. And one that won't kill the server with a few thousand hits. Wink

Expect a beta test soon!
Post 11 Aug 2006, 23:26
DataHunter2009

DataHunter2009
I have good news, and I have bad news... I have to tell you the bad news to tell you the good news, so here goes...

Bad news: There's no pre-made CMS that fits the bill for the OSDC (operating system development community).
Good news: I'm developing a custom CMS using Python and Django, so it'll be adjusted to fit for what we need. It shouldn't take very long, either. Django is very easy to use... once it starts running.
Post 12 Aug 2006, 23:32
DataHunter2009

DataHunter2009
I'm sorry for making another post, but...

The site is up, but it's certainly not ready for use yet. I'm still working on a template, so there is a placeholder layout up for now. Don't worry, the final site won't look like it does now.

http://www.cypherspace.info/osdn

The subdirectoy is only temporary until I can register a domain for the OSDN. At the moment, there are 3 polls on the homepage that you can vote on. They will help determine what the end-users want to be featured on the OSDN website. Please take a minute or two to vote on them. If you like, you can also register so that your account is reserved until the final site is released. The feature-set is very limited at the moment, but there will be plenty more in the future.
Post 15 Aug 2006, 00:16
DataHunter2009

DataHunter2009
*sigh* I just know I'm going to get yelled at for making another post, and I really don't mean to bump this. But, I have more updates and no one else has posted. I'm usually against multi-posting. Sorry.

I got most of the new template finished. I'm working on a custom frontpage at the moment to replace the polls. I still haven't added an article system or anything, but there is now a link to the forums (which isn't quite done yet). But, to show you what the OSDN has in store, here is a list of features I plan to implement in the future:

- Articles
- OSDN Groups (read more below)
- OSDN IRC (IRC server devoted to the hosting of channels for OS projects)
- Podcast (Weekly/monthly podcast devoted to operating system and tech news)
- Codebase (Library of common code blocks used in OS programming)

I'm really excited about OSDN Groups. It will be a sub-site of the OSDN, but it will share the same userbase as the main website. This way, you only have to register on one to be registered on the other at the same time. With OSDN Groups, each member can create his/her own project/group and can invite other users to join. It's like SourceForge, except for Operating System projects. Each group would get it's own forum, collaborative book (for documentation, etc), mailing list, project file list, SVN/CVS integration, bug/feature tracker, and a ton of other helpful features. This is a HUGE feature, however. So, it could take a while to implement and test. Dont' expect this to working in a few weeks or months.

The podcast is also a main priority. Ever since I started listening to the tWiT podcast (hosted by Leo Laporte, the host of The Screen Savers on the old TechTV), I've always thought that the OSDN would be the perfect place to host an operating system podcast. It could talk about Linux, Windows, Mac, and other OS news along with interesting things related to the development of computer technology that benefits the OS dev community.

Again, I'm sorry for multi-posting so much. I just felt like I needed to update everyone on the status of the site.
Post 16 Aug 2006, 03:48
zhak

zhak
It looks... really green Smile (I just like blue color more) but it's nice! good work, but much more to be done, of cource... I didn't vote on the site, because I just cannot say yes or no. I need to explain what I think of it, so here it is...
1) Should the OSDN feature a "Project of the Week"?
Well, I think this may be implemented when there will be many projects and participants, but in the beginning of OSDN life it is not needed. That's my POW.
2) Should there be a feature called "OSDN Groups" for project hosting? (similar to Google Groups and Google Project Hosting)
Yup, I vote for this!
3) Should the OSDN use digg-like (threaded) comments?
Could you explain this, 'cause I do not know. Give an example of digg-like comments as well as examples of other types of comments.
Thanks.
Post 16 Aug 2006, 20:24
DataHunter2009

DataHunter2009
zhak: Thanks for the comments! Below each poll is a link to post and read comments. I have posted a comment in both the OSDN Groups poll and the comment style poll, explaining each of these features. Feel free to post your own comments on each poll, if you like.

More news: The article section is now up. To submit an article, register on the site and click the "Create content" link on the left. Then click the "story" content type and choose a category for your article. It will be moderated before showing up on the OSDN, so please check your spelling and things before posting.

About the color... I was told by a friend of mine that blue is over-used. So, he told me to try green instead. If more people don't like the green color, I can easily change it. I also didn't want it to look like a fresh Drupal installation.

Also take note that your articles will be hosted under a Creative Commons license (outlined in the footer of the OSDN). If you don't want your article under a Creative Commons license, please say so at the bottom of your article and state what license the article is controlled by. You may outline your own custom license, if you wish. However, the OSDN is not responsible for misuse of it's content by third parties.
Post 16 Aug 2006, 20:34
Dex4u

Dex4u
Podcast is a great idea, i listen to "Binary Revolution Radio" and "The Linux Link Tech Show" every week so a OS Dev podcast will be cool, keep up the good work Cool .
Post 17 Aug 2006, 16:27

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: