flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > Bypass MSN Blocker at School/work

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
OzzY

OzzY
Hi!
At my university I have a long period of time between one class and another, so I stay at the computer labs to use my time at internet.
The problem is that they block some contents on the internet and don't have msn messenger installed.

Do you know how to bypass the security thing that blocks Web Messengers at schools' browser?
Also I'd like to have access to sites like Orkut (they block it too).

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Post 09 Aug 2006, 13:01
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
it's called tunnelling, usually through proxy servers

ask some |-| /\ ( |< ers how to do it (i mean, networking experts), it should be fairly easy and most of times can be done using just putty or something
Post 09 Aug 2006, 14:51
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
MHajduk

MHajduk
For tunelling You may use TOR, which creates an enciphered connection by sequence of servers spread around the world.
Privoxy program prevents WWW browsers to say DNS servers what we want to see.

Regards,
M.H.
Post 09 Aug 2006, 15:14
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
f0dder

f0dder
How to bypass it depends on what kind of block they do.

#1 blocking only "bad" ports
#2 allowing only "good" ports
#3 stateful protocol inspecting

#1 and #2 are relatively trivial to get around, if you can set up a proxy at some other place (say, a server at home).
Post 09 Aug 2006, 18:45
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
OzzY

OzzY
Actually, they block pages with some words like "msn", "orkut", "sex", and so on...
Post 09 Aug 2006, 19:23
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
you mean pages that have these word in URL, or in body? Because then this thread would be blocked too...
Post 09 Aug 2006, 19:51
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
OzzY

OzzY
In URL. But what I don't understand is that they block even if I use some kind of redirector.
Post 09 Aug 2006, 20:05
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
this can surely be tricked by some crypted tunnell
Post 09 Aug 2006, 20:22
shoorick

shoorick
may be buy some beer to sysadmin Wink
Post 09 Aug 2006, 20:29
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
yes, social engineering
Post 09 Aug 2006, 21:24
Madis731

Madis731
Very Happy IP doesn't have any characters in it except for dot. Try pinging orkut and such and then paste the IP.

But when the ip resolves back to orkut in your browser, then you are **** Razz
Post 10 Aug 2006, 07:12
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
OzzY

OzzY
After looking at this page http://www.rohitab.com/discuss/lofiversion/index.php/t9632.html I got the idea that it is a local proxy filter. Maybe changing some settings in IE will unblock the sites.

Can someone help me with this settings?
Wait here in the lab for the class without a full access internet is very boring.
Post 06 Sep 2006, 12:24
HyperVista

HyperVista
Ozzy - have you checked to see what the hosts (no extension) file says? Your school might be using the hosts file to shunt MSN to local machine. The host file can be used to block access to specific websites, or to redirect to connectivity to other sites.

Depending on the OS version, you will find the hosts file in the windows/system32/drivers/etc folder. you can open it with notepad and edit it as needed. there are some instructions in the file on how to properly change it.

fyi, some pop-up ad blocking software use the hosts file to block ads (or better stated, block access of your machine to pop-up websites).
Post 06 Sep 2006, 13:11
OzzY

OzzY
The hosts file is clean, so it's not it.
I think it might be something with content filter from IE.
Post 06 Sep 2006, 13:24
RedGhost

RedGhost
Did you try Tor?

If not maybe subscribe to a VPN service like (findnot.com) with this even all the ISP sees is you connect to the VPN then nothing useful Very Happy

Post 06 Sep 2006, 13:40
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger Reply with quote
OzzY

OzzY
Still can't get access.
They use Squid here.

I'll try this: http://letwist.net/operator
Post 04 Oct 2006, 12:00
DataHunter2009

DataHunter2009
Ugh... Squid is what my ISP uses to handle DNS requests. It's been screwing up the last few weeks, so every domain name registered after a certain date won't resolve for me. But, if I turn my satellite internet off and use my secondary dialup connection (which doesn't use squid), then it works great. My ISP doesn't believe me, though. So it still isn't fixed.
Post 04 Oct 2006, 21:17
f0dder

f0dder
Huh, SQUID does DNS stuff now? I thought it was just a caching proxy.
Post 04 Oct 2006, 22:01
Ehtyar

Ehtyar
I found that in my case, each institution's internet was routed through a set of proxies located at the department itself, with direct fiber connections to each institution. To overcome the checking, you can get the address of the pac (proxy auto configuration) by right clicking on the IE desktop shortcut and select LAN proxy settings. Visit the link to the pac and find the address of the proxy from it. After you have that, it was as simple as getting another browser (ff or opera etc) and putting the address of the proxy into it. By bypasing the pac and using just the proxy itself, you bypass all the filtering crap, and can use the school's proxy in whatever program you wish.
Hope this helps, Ehtyar.
Post 04 Oct 2006, 22:23
TmX

TmX
Have you tried Meebo ?
Very Happy
Post 05 Oct 2006, 09:09

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: