flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > performance win xp 32 and 64

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
wisepenguin

wisepenguin
just curious if anyone has used windows xp 32bit and windows xp 64bit?

is there a noticeable performance difference, either faster or slower ?
Post 24 Jul 2006, 12:33
kohlrak

kohlrak
From what i've heard from people who pirated winxp64... winxp32 was better. lol
Post 24 Jul 2006, 16:40
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
mattst88

mattst88
Performance isn't the issue currently. Compatibility is. Driver issues galore with XP-64! Razz
Post 29 Jul 2006, 20:19
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
kohlrak

kohlrak
of course. i'm sure most companies know of winxp64.. i keep forgetting it exists.
Post 30 Jul 2006, 07:42
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
f0dder

f0dder
There isn't much performance difference. Performance difference vs. xp32 and xp64 can hardly be felt on machines that are fast enough to run xp64. For a few special programs you could expect a speed boost.

Even some 32bit apps could theoretically run faster on XP64, if they make a lot of system calls (because they'll then spend the majority of their time running 64bit system) code, but so far I've not seen anything really great (I don't run XP64 daily, though). Only thing I really noticed was that World Of Warcraft did run a bit better when entering IronForge ^_^
Post 30 Jul 2006, 20:36
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
xp64 progs eat a little less stack because of static SEH... but i don't believe it will be noticeable
Post 30 Jul 2006, 22:06
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
mattst88

mattst88
It was noted in a thread on this forum that the built-in memcpy function in XP64 was faster by a ridiculous margin over the same function implementation in XP32.
Post 31 Jul 2006, 03:14
vbVeryBeginner

vbVeryBeginner
the 64 got the ability to use more than 4GB memory (compare to 32), but some people use it with 2GB mem, is it worth it?

or should we say, if you wanna play 64, u better got more than 4GB ram?
Post 31 Jul 2006, 05:44
MazeGen

MazeGen
An average PC can hardly get more than 4GB RAM AFAIK.
Post 31 Jul 2006, 07:44
f0dder

f0dder
...and you could use more than 4GB of memory since the PPro days anyway... in a windowed model, though, not as one big linear address-space.
Post 31 Jul 2006, 11:06
Madis731

Madis731
the 64-bit programs run better on 64-bit hardware Very Happy and when data NEEDs 64-bit access - its faster.

If you look it this way:
32-bit programs need to run on 64-bit OS too and they need to have some emulation - this is what makes it slower. Some 32-bit programs are *hacked* to work as 64-bit programs. This is bad practise and why did I mention *hacked* is that when a program is optimized for 32 bits and you screw with it to get it to show up and act as 64-bit then you get a performance penalty (not very noticable) and then you start to think that 64-bit OS is not all that good.

Overall:
Let 32-bit programs run in their own environment and when a program hungers for 64+ bit data-access, then you could re-write it in 64-bit mode and get through with less instructions, because with 64-bit you can do more at once. 64-bit computers are usually 2GHz+ dual-cores nowdays and this is why you don't feel any performance difference.
Post 31 Jul 2006, 13:49
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly
It's true that nearly no desktop computer has more than 4 GB but it's very possible that a program handle file mapping for more than 2 GB file size which now with 64-bit can be handled perfectly.
Post 31 Jul 2006, 14:42
f0dder

f0dder
locodelassembly wrote:
It's true that nearly no desktop computer has more than 4 GB but it's very possible that a program handle file mapping for more than 2 GB file size which now with 64-bit can be handled perfectly.

Yeah, on 32bit you need "chunked" processing when using filemaps, if you want to support large files (especially on 9x, where MMF are allocated in the shared space). So, you might as well revert to standard File I/O and not get the pagefault overhead that MMF gives...

Post 31 Jul 2006, 15:26

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: