flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > Prime Number Research: PROOF

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
tom tobias

tom tobias
If you enjoy mathematics, and if you are interested in exploring the distinction between pure genius on the one hand, versus more modest intellectual capabilities combined with hard work, on the other hand, then, here is an excellent movie you will not want to miss: PROOF
http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2.cgi?PAGE=PRODUCT&PROD_ID=1766347&cid=80488&fp=F
Anthony Hopkins is convincing as a formerly brilliant, extraordinarily creative mathematician, moderately demented during recent times, taken care of (fed, clothed, bathed) by his rather depressed daughter, Gywneth Paltrow. His research is Prime Number Theory. His graduate student at the University of Chicago, plays the role of her romantic love interest. The film is engaging, and addresses one issue, gender capabilities, posed on this forum a couple of weeks ago by Vid....
"in our school magazine was interview with girl from each grade, discussing why did they go to IT-oriented school. one girl answered - "to marry" "
http://board.flatassembler.net/topic.php?t=5473
I don't think you will regret your time watching this excellent movie....It has one line, I won't reveal the thunderbolt, but it contains one line of dialogue that you are unlikely to forget, upon completing the film. When I heard that line, I remembered Vid's note above. I think you will too....
Smile
Post 09 Jul 2006, 23:10
Remy Vincent

Remy Vincent
All physicians persons and all mathematicians persons need to view some statistics, some results, some calculations,... they need tu use some languages, soe tools

When an "Assembler worker" do a program to help a "physician person or a mathematician person",... the "Assembler worker" always start to "LIE", saying that he DON'T really understands mathematics or physics... BUT IT IS A LIE, only to avoid inferiority complex between the physician or mathematician, and the programmer...

BUT it can happend that many many many "physicians persons and mathematicians persons" look at themself accepting that they don't really understand the theory thay have created...

Quote:
I don't think you will regret your time watching this excellent movie..

is it a movie about this funny problem ?

Post 10 Jul 2006, 00:55
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
comrade

comrade
tom tobias wrote:
It has one line, I won't reveal the thunderbolt, but it contains one line of dialogue that you are unlikely to forget, upon completing the film. When I heard that line, I remembered Vid's note above. I think you will too....
Smile

I read the book, and don't remember any lines at all...

Post 10 Jul 2006, 02:13
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
tom tobias

tom tobias
comrade wrote:
I read the book, and don't remember any lines at all...
Anthony Hopkin's character, the most inventive mathematician of the last century, had grown demented, his writings had become mere ramblings of nonsense. Yet, upon his death, his graduate student discovers a notebook, hidden away in the famous scholar's desk, ostensibly authored during the preceding year by him, during some brief return of lucidity--at least the handwriting appears similar to that found in his many volumes of nonsense. This notebook of mysterious origin contains an incredible proof of undeniable brilliance in the field of prime number research. It is the dialogue surrounding discovery of that notebook, which contains the single line that is unforgettable. It is always possible, especially in Hollywood, that the original version, the book upon which the movie was based, does not contain precisely the same sequence of dialogue. I will locate the book, and read it!! Thanks
Smile
Post 10 Jul 2006, 21:03
kohlrak

kohlrak
Must be one heck of a line if it can't be posted here... Lemme guess contains a few conjured f words and sh words and d words and p words with "I am" infront with "off" in the end.
Post 25 Jul 2006, 20:43
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
tom tobias

tom tobias
I am not intimidated by use of anglosaxon or celtic contributions to the language (other than northern Scottish RAX). So no, I would not be afraid to employ such vocabulary, in lieu of their Norman counterparts, if I thought it would facilitate comprehension...."I didn't find it, I wrote it."
Post 26 Jul 2006, 16:36
MazeGen

MazeGen
I saw the movie some months ago. Since my english is too poor, I can just say it is worth seeing.
Post 26 Jul 2006, 17:11
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: