flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > Ever coded a big project?

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
OzzY

OzzY
Did you ever coded a big project fully in FASM?
Post your experiences!

Thanks!
Post 29 Mar 2006, 23:08
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
i coded "middle sized" project, 300-400kb of sources. this is very useful to develop your coding style
Post 30 Mar 2006, 00:53
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
RedGhost

RedGhost
the biggest project i've coded was 100kb of source or so, and was in asm iirc, and the biggest C project i can recall was probably around 100kb aswell

so nothing large i guess
Post 30 Mar 2006, 01:35
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger Reply with quote
Chewy509

Chewy509
Pure assembly, around 400KB. (Operating System)

Mixed langauges ( Pascal (85%) / TASM (15%)), around 1.5MB. (Application for DOS for RF Spectrum management)

My current b0 project, has around 700KB of code... and is growing daily. (The assembly version of the compiler is roughly 550KB or 29K lines at the moment, with it being roughly 75% complete).

But nothing big... (I assume by big you mean 500K+ lines of code)
Post 30 Mar 2006, 03:23
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Madis731

Madis731
I think when you even start to compare languages you would have to introduce some normalization because the same project in ASM and C or in Pascal will take a different amount of lines/characters(size)/includes(libs). With FASM macro capabilities you can even find huge size differences in comparison between assemblers Very Happy

My greatest projects have been around 20KB in ASM, like the Electro program and my traslation program will be holding around 50KB (not ready until May).

I've been helping out with some heavier projects like the Menuets Wink (32 & 64)
Post 30 Mar 2006, 07:26
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
Dex4u

Dex4u
Biggest project Dex4U OS, source comes in at about 1MB.
I just keep adding inc file as it grows Wink
Post 30 Mar 2006, 07:45
Reverend

Reverend
My biggest project was 150 kB. I wrote in MASM long ago and it was terribly written as I was learning Windows programming then and many solutions I put there are now just funny Smile

I often have idea for a big project but I am not persistent enough to finish it. Just like Leonardo da Vinci Razz He started many paintings but finished only few. When I have an idea and overall look about the program I start to code with lots of energy but my will to work decreases rapidly and so I always have plenty of started-and-unfinished projects Smile. So nothing really big.

But recently in FASM I wrote a project in 35 kB which was quite complicated and it's also more experience in programming that makes our sources smaller. In fact as I think now aobut that 150 kB source program I think I will manage to have it in 30 kB or something. So my recent program is 3 times smaller in sources but in fact it's "bigger" = more complicated but better designed/coded
Post 30 Mar 2006, 22:10
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Borsuc

Borsuc
I don't really like big projects -- they tend to get out of control. By out of control, I don't mean bugs, but unoptimized and poor designed code.

Well, what I like to say: "It's better to design 1 original and optimized thing (aka closer to perfection), than to design 99 poor-written things." at least I like it that way.

Nothing big, really, and I'm not rushing. For example, I find out an algorithm that works quite ok for me. What will I do? Simply go to the next stage immediately? well, not quite, as I analyze and take a look at other algorithms, so that I may design that one better. Simply put, I usually don't choose an algorithm as I see it. And learning different modes/ways/designs is usually a good thing as that makes you gain experience Smile

"Don't try to make something big, but rather something of value."

For me, it's much more important to optimize something (or perfectionalize it) than to code 100 unoptimized and unoriginal projects.

sorry if it doesn't make sense
Post 01 Apr 2006, 10:12
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
I think it is difficult to directly compare projects based upon the direct size of the sources. The reason being the type of data that is in the source. Some editors do not produce tab stop characters (character 9) and place multiple spaces instead, also the OS may encourage the CR/LF pair or just LF as a the line termination character sequence. Another possible reason is the amout of initialised data that is coded in the source versus included as binary from an external file.

Consider an extreme example to highlight the difference. A 'hello world' program could conceivably be considered just a few lines of code or alternatively we might want to count the many OS standard includes (eg. win32axp.inc) towards the total size of the source.

FASMARM uses a table file of 302K, if I finish the ARM T2 version then the table file will be 394K. But all of that size is just data that can be easily recreated so I would not consider it part of the source that contributes to the size/complexity of the project as a whole.

Counting the number of lines can also be misleading. Some programmers prefer to make long lists of values as one value per line while others may prefer to put multiple values on one line (for example PUSH can take one or many values in one line). Another possible difference is the use of macros. Using PROC/INVOKE etc. can reduce code size and line count (also enhancing readability).

This leaves us with a conundrum of how to judge the relative size of a project. I think one idea could be to use a compressor (like winzip for example) on all the non-data files (i.e. the main code) that make the project. This will remove the redundancy of spaces/tabs/cr/lf etc. and give a more realistic idea the the complexity and size of the project.

With the current version of FASM the source size (not including tables.inc) when compressed is about 56K, adding the IDE is about another 30K. If we also consider the other OS specific code then the whole FASM project could be considered <100K.
Post 01 Apr 2006, 13:52
madmatt

madmatt
The source code to my Utility/Directdraw/direct3d DLL library is ~317kb, it does quite a bit for the size of the DLL and source code.
Post 02 Apr 2006, 00:50
RedGhost

RedGhost
Quote:

I often have idea for a big project but I am not persistent enough to finish it. Just like Leonardo da Vinci Razz He started many paintings but finished only few. When I have an idea and overall look about the program I start to code with lots of energy but my will to work decreases rapidly and so I always have plenty of started-and-unfinished projects Smile. So nothing really big.

i am exactly the same way, i sometimes even put weeks of programming into a project then lose interest entirely and do no work on it

Post 03 Apr 2006, 00:59
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger Reply with quote
Madis731

Madis731
...and so you and I have tens of projects that are almost finished, but at the same time aren't finished at all. Then you have other interesting projects etc.

I think if I'm going to finish all my little projects and make a package out of them, I can really call it a HUGE project Wink a macro project with microprojects...
Post 03 Apr 2006, 06:48
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: