flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > how long already you been with fasm board ?

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
vbVeryBeginner

vbVeryBeginner
time passed so fast,
how long already you been with fasm board?

u could check ur join data from the members list Smile

i joined this board on 15 Aug 2004
about 1 years half already :p

learn so so much from here, and get to know with some nice friends too.

if not fasm, maybe i didn't continue to learn asm language at all. and if not fasm board, maybe my journey to learn asm language would be more harder.

not a comp science student and basically just "own interest" that keeps me to learn asm.

so, how bout u? how long already u been with this nice board.

thanks Tomasz Grysztar for providing such a nice assembler and everybody who so willing to share knowledge.
Post 21 Mar 2006, 20:04
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
hmmm 05 Sep 2003... almost from beginning. i just got dial-up internet that time and spent half of my time on internet here. But i found fasm on programmersheaven net even before, i had internet just in school that time, so i always downloaded as much as i could, copied it on floppies and at home i wa looking what i downloaded. of course fasm impressed me at first sight.

btw, did you notice some "tough" members disappeared? or at last they just don't post so much anymore, like STAS. Or that thing with JohnFound...
Post 21 Mar 2006, 23:41
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
vbVeryBeginner

vbVeryBeginner
hi vid,
yeah, didn't see JohnFound here for quite some time already.
wonder how is him doing now?

i notice too, "tough" members seem like gone :p
and usually people who just joined would just post maybe around 10 to 30 then they go disappeared. (no stats to backs me, but just a feel) don't know really wat coz that, if they found any new alternative, at least they should make their last post to share with us "wats the new discovered alternative" Laughing

to do :p
a. to invite more members to join fasm new order
b. to maintain people interest and continuing visiting fasm board, download "lastest" version, submit bug, click "gg ad*", post some in heap section Smile, go #fasm channel, and so on.
c. make more easy to follewed tutorial for beginner and try help everybody with the shortest possible time after they make their post, "that would amaze them" Wink
d. maybe provide tutorial in different language coz english is not probably their first language.
e. (how bout some ideas from u)
Post 22 Mar 2006, 00:18
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly
8 months but I used FASM from the times where it's hosted on nitro.pl (or similar host name). I'd like FASM a lot those days for making boot codes and because it doesn't does the stupidity of making a jump dword ptr table with every API function you import (yes, I now there is some unofficial macros for MASM to prevent that), however I disliked FASM those days for Win32 programming, reason, poor include file support. Now it's very advanced and I can't remember when was the last time that I used MASM or another assembler. However I'd never make nothing serious in ASM Sad, just silly things most of them deleted or loosed by media failures...

vid, another disappeared member is scientica, he is the moderator of OS Construction and his last post was in 05 Jul 2005, or he changed his nick?

Hope Tomasz can give to us FASM for much years Very Happy

[edit] Thanks to RedGhost now I noticed that I'm entered to the forum 10 months ago actually Razz. A few days before him. I need learn maths before posting I think...[/edit]

Last edited by LocoDelAssembly on 22 Mar 2006, 15:40; edited 1 time in total
Post 22 Mar 2006, 00:35
crc

crc
I've been a member of the board since Jun 2003, so I'm approaching three years now. Ron Aaron is the one whose code convinced me to drop nasm and use fasm instead, and I haven't regretted that decision ever since.

I don't post as much as I used to, but I do watch the forums regularly and try help out where I can Smile
Post 22 Mar 2006, 03:56
Madis731

Madis731
Yeah, I joined Sept 23 2003, but I used it long before the boards. It was hosted on some other site - I remember the *green* Very Happy

I don't remember exactly when was it, but I got interested in this FASM earlier that year - maybe in the summer Confused
Post 22 Mar 2006, 07:55
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
RedGhost

RedGhost
may 18th, 2005, one day before my birthday :p, so 10 months now or so, but i used FASM maybe 1-2 months before registering so i've been a FASM user for about a year

crc wrote:
I've been a member of the board since Jun 2003, so I'm approaching three years now. Ron Aaron is the one whose code convinced me to drop nasm and use fasm instead, and I haven't regretted that decision ever since.

I don't post as much as I used to, but I do watch the forums regularly and try help out where I can Smile

i started with MASM maybe 2 years ago, i found it to be quite crappy honestly and gave it up entirely and went back to C, after a while i found NASM and used that for a bit it was okay, but i still wasn't satisfied so i went back to C, then i found FASM and was truly amazed, open source self compiling, all HLL features via open source preprocessor, the syntax/features/supported instructions/keywords were very appealing to me, plus i really hated all that command line crap in NASM, compiling .asm with 30 command line options then linking my objects and all that, and then i saw just how optimizing FASM was, from then on i really started to learn programming and stopped depending on other peoples sources and examples and actually began reading and understanding, and its been a year and i havnt gone back to C :p (dont get me wrong, i still use C from time to time, but why bother when i have fasm)

my fasm signature speaks for me Smile

Post 22 Mar 2006, 11:47
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger Reply with quote
YONG

YONG
I've been a member of this board since 16 Mar 2005. So it's just over a year.

I first started with MASM 6.x (if I remember it correctly). But since I was doing some pure DOS stuff, I switched to FASM. I soon discovered that FASM supports a simple and clean syntax - I particularly like the idea that a label simply means its offset.

While I don't have much time to post messages now, I do visit this board regularly. And I'll keep doing so!

YONG
Post 25 Mar 2006, 06:33
Borsuc

Borsuc
Well, I'm pretty much a new member, I think I joined in December 2005 Smile
I think the first assembler I used was MASM (and I thought it was the greatest), having a clear syntax and all. It seemed unlikely when I wanted to do some 'exotic' programming, MASM's license (and not being open-source) didn't allow me to extend something. Even if I was allowed, I still didn't like the idea...

I found Nasm, it had a bit more ugly syntax, but it was good and open-source. I had to choose between Nasm and Fasm, and went to Fasm, because it has a MUCH MORE clear syntax (even clearer than MASM Wink for me).

But, as I began to learn more about Fasm, I started to understand how it works, and how I can build some nice advanced macros (and with it's multi-pass functionality).

Truth be told, what I like MOST about Fasm is that I really did understand how it works (internally and externally), and all these thanks go to it's author, Tomasz. Without him, and all the other people on this board, fasm would have never grown like this. Thanks Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I don't post many messages, because I'm not on the Net so frequently, but this is one of the boards I like most. Wink
Post 25 Mar 2006, 12:58
El Tangas

El Tangas
I joined October 11 2003. I dont post much (I'm a busy guy...), but I like to visit this forum regularly, I've learned a lot here.

Fasm, in my opinion is the best assembler I've ever used, among Tasm, Masm, Nasm and Fasm.

I liked Nasm a lot, because it got rid of that "offset" nonsense and offered complete control of the generated code, maybe too complete...
But Fasm is definitely better.

So, best regards to you all in the board, and congratz to Tomasz for this masterpiece.
Post 25 Mar 2006, 22:45
RedGhost

RedGhost
vbVeryBeginner wrote:
hi vid,
yeah, didn't see JohnFound here for quite some time already.
wonder how is him doing now?

i notice too, "tough" members seem like gone :p
and usually people who just joined would just post maybe around 10 to 30 then they go disappeared. (no stats to backs me, but just a feel) don't know really wat coz that, if they found any new alternative, at least they should make their last post to share with us "wats the new discovered alternative" Laughing

to do :p
a. to invite more members to join fasm new order
b. to maintain people interest and continuing visiting fasm board, download "lastest" version, submit bug, click "gg ad*", post some in heap section Smile, go #fasm channel, and so on.
c. make more easy to follewed tutorial for beginner and try help everybody with the shortest possible time after they make their post, "that would amaze them" Wink
d. maybe provide tutorial in different language coz english is not probably their first language.
e. (how bout some ideas from u)

#flatassembler on irc.freenode.net, i idle pretty much 24/7, and for the amount of people who post here, it is surprising that there are usually only 6-8 idlers Confused

Post 26 Mar 2006, 12:13
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger Reply with quote
Chewy509

Chewy509
June 03 for me... Converted from NASM to fasm at around the time as well... Like crc, more of a lurker than a active member.

I'm normally over at news://alt.lang.asm, alt.os.development, and comp.lang.asm.x86 these days... (and http://www.storagereview.com )
Post 26 Mar 2006, 23:56

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: