flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > LINK: OpenSparc Opensource processor

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Cthulhu

Cthulhu
Post 23 Mar 2006, 21:56
kake_zinger

kake_zinger
I've been following that with interest and hope that something "real" will come out of it. I can't afford to buy a T1000 just to play with no matter how much I'd love to. The Sun Sparc architecture would be a joy to program with.

Contrary to many people I'm not that happy with what AMD did with the x86 64bit extensions, they could have made so much more. With 16 gp registers it's still behind Sparc's 24 and that is an old old architecture. A modern CPU should have even more free registers due to the cpu<>ram speed problem. As a final insult they dropped the hardware scheduler with all fine grained protection it provides just when CPU's would be fast enough to use it without penalty, and there shouldn't even be a penalty to this but this is an old subject Linus lamented over way back.

I'd just love to see more of the hobby programmer world to switch to Sun but I'm afraid that won't happen because Sun=expensive. They have completely missed the potential of the low level market. Probably they didn't even realize it exists before the advent of Linux. What a huge tactical oversight. Well someone's oversight is another's gain. It's getting preciously late for Sun to enter the volume&hobbyist market.
Post 25 Mar 2006, 16:23
Chewy509

Chewy509
I too would love a SPARC powered box, but alas I'm not that $$$.

Quote:
As a final insult they dropped the hardware scheduler with all fine grained protection it provides just when CPU's would be fast enough to use it without penalty, and there shouldn't even be a penalty to this but this is an old subject Linus lamented over way back.

Care to expand on that more?

If you're referring to the TSS, I can understand why AMD dropped it for long mode, since just about every mainstream OS does task-switching in software rather than hardware (eg uses the TSS as it was designed to be used). Why dedicate hardware to something that won't be used?

What I personally would like to see, is a simplified AMD64 core... Similar to how Sun removed all the OOE and extra's from the SPARC to come up with the T1 (aka Nigara). eg a basic 64bit SPARC. Each core may not be the fastest, but when you can pack 8+ cores into the *same* area as a current AMD64 dual core, with power consumption to match, then you have an interesting CPU.

Any one heard whether VIA will be updating their CPUs to include AMD64 instructions? Just think a dual AMD64 system in 17cm x 17cm package (mini-itx) with power consumption around 30-40W for the entire board!
Post 26 Mar 2006, 23:51
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: