flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > There are programs that are possible only with FASM

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
MazeGen

MazeGen
RedGhost: MASM is still more powerful in some things than FASM. These ones come to mind at the moment: support for debugging informations; clearer macro syntax and operators; inline macros.

See also my original post in this thread.
Post 29 Apr 2006, 07:50
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
RedGhost

RedGhost
MazeGen wrote:
RedGhost: MASM is still more powerful in some things than FASM. These ones come to mind at the moment: support for debugging informations; clearer macro syntax and operators; inline macros.

See also my original post in this thread.

i do not think the macro syntax is more clear, and it feels more limited to me

as far as debugging output you are right, but i've never used it, not even for C, i always just insert breakpoints and use ollydbg

Post 30 Apr 2006, 06:58
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger Reply with quote
pelaillo
Missing in inaction

pelaillo
Quote:
MASM is still more powerful in some things than FASM.

Yes, the word powerful is a little misleading, because your arguments are referred at your habitudes when coding, not technical merits on the product. It's like me saying that spanish is better suited to express ideas rather than english.

Debugging info is needed if you use a lot of HLL-styled constructs and so you need to add an extra-step translator (source code looks very different respect to the dissassembled thing). I've used Fasm's debugging info but most of the time I don't need it.
Post 01 May 2006, 17:10
MazeGen

MazeGen
RedGhost: Feel free to show some MASM macrolanguage limits which are not present in FASM Wink

pelaillo:
Quote:

Yes, the word powerful is a little misleading, because your arguments are referred at your habitudes when coding, not technical merits on the product. It's like me saying that spanish is better suited to express ideas rather than english.

For me, the features I mentioned are technical merits: debugging info support, readable syntax, inline macro support.

As for debugging info, I really can't recollect just from the disassembly what I coded three years ago, when debugging 50.000 source lines project. I need to see my comments.
Post 02 May 2006, 09:56
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
f0dder

f0dder
Quote:

RedGhost: Feel free to show some MASM macrolanguage limits which are not present in FASM Wink

Humm, there's probably something related to MASM's max line length problem?

I feel masm's macro syntax is more intuitive than fasm's, though.
Post 02 May 2006, 10:01
MazeGen

MazeGen
Yeah, you're right with the lenght. I've rather hinted at the fact it is not so simple to compare these macrolanguages, he should be skilled with both assemblers.
Post 02 May 2006, 10:10
AsmER

AsmER
One thing about what MazeGen wrote:

Quote:
OzzY wrote:
1) FASM is still in development and support DOS, Win32/Win64, Linux 32/64, Unix, and is easy to port to other OS, in a single package, with same assembler, same syntax!

Yes, it is more difficult to code for other OS than Win in MASM.
As for porting to other OS, it wouldn't be so easy because of different APIs between different OSs.

Actually if you using MASM32 (I'm sure you do) you can't use it to write a program for OS'es other than Win or DOS

There is a part of "The MASM32 Project Licence"

What you CANNOT do with the MASM32 Project.
1. The MASM32 Project is not an item of trade or commerce. It cannot be either purchased or sold.
2. The MASM32 Project cannot be re-licenced or made subordinate to any other form of licence.
3. None of its components or source code are redistributable.
4. You cannot use the MASM32 Project to write software for Non-Microsoft Operating Systems.
5. You cannot use the MASM32 Project to write any form of illegal software.
6. The project does not authorise the use of the Microsoft Trademark in your software or claims that your software is certified by Microsoft.
[for more goto http://masm32.com/mlicence.htm]
That's one of reasons why I'm using Fasm (another one is that I can use FASM in college, as it is small enought to store it on floppy disc - INCLUDES + FASMW.exe + FASMW.ini = 668 kb so I've got more than 500Kb for my source code Very Happy )

And by the way, Fasm is better than Masm for 3D effects programmers, coz you can use real numbers like:
mov eax, 1.51
when, from what I know, MASM force you to calculating everything or write a macro

Post 14 Jun 2006, 18:47
MazeGen

MazeGen
AsmER, I don't use MASM from MASM32 package since its version of MASM is outdated (v6.14). I use v7.10 or v8.0.

As for the license, just download VC++ Toolkit for free and you get newer version of MASM with very liberal license.
Post 15 Jun 2006, 07:10
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
MazeGen: about readability: it's just matter of learning little things. For me, set of these characters: ":REQ" is as readable as "*", you only need to know it's meaning, eg. english in first case and FASM macrosyntax in second case. And FASM macrosyntax has so few elements, each with unique meaning (unlike C language for example), that it's very easy to memorize them all.

"\" is extremely straightforward operator, as readable as, for example parenthesis, like "(((a+b)*c)<<2)" and is part where FASM macrosyntax is stronger.

another place where FASM macrosyntax is stronger is macro overloading. In MASM you have macro recursion, which also means that you cannot overload instructions or directives. In FASM you have overloading, which allows you to emulate recursion, but also gives you a lot more power.

to be honest: in FASM, preprocessing and assembling are separate parts, which improves "clearness" of language, but limits possiblities compared to MASM. this is disadvantage from viewpoint of syntax power.
Post 15 Jun 2006, 08:58
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: