flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > wireless/bluetooth keyboards

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
wisepenguin

wisepenguin
im thinking about buying a wireless keyboard and mouse set. ive seen wireless ones and bluetooth, does anybody have any experience with either ?

any good ones ? bad experiences ?

can they work in tandem with PS2 keyboards/mouse. for example i leave the PS2 keyboards and mouse on my desk, and leave the wireless one across the room to control the pc when i watch DVDs.

the cheapest microsoft PS2 mouse is the one i prefer but all their wireless ones are expensive and fancy with different shapes. nevermind.

they're quite expensive so i dont really want to waste my money if they're not good.

thanks
Post 31 Oct 2005, 00:04
Reverend

Reverend
I had once wireless mouse set. It was based on radio transmission. And believe me it is not something good for us, ie. people who use computer a lot. I had to change batteries too often! Maybe it is comfortable solution, but only for people who use computer for an hour per day.
Post 01 Nov 2005, 08:54
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
crc

crc
I use a wireless keyboard. I change the batteries perhaps once every 3-4 months. (It's nice not to be tied to a cable). I do agree with Reverend on the mice though: those things seem to eat batteries!
Post 01 Nov 2005, 12:06
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Matrix

Matrix
greetz:
use NI-MH
AA, AAA
there are large capacities available.
Post 01 Nov 2005, 15:12
Artlav

Artlav
Looks like NI-MH is bad on some w/r mouses, atlease in mine they wont work at all. And even normal batteryes is not bad - one 12 Duracell N&I pack ($3) lasts for a year ((keyboard&mouse)*2).

Main problem of wireless input devices - 95% accuracy, or every 20th letter is lost, especially when the batteryes is aging. That's not too good for programmers or typing passwords.
Same about mouse - sometimes the pressed status is lost and you end up pressing everything on the way instead of dragging&dropping. Can be a bit of annoying.

Also recommended to buy both things as one set, since diffirent brand can interfere (litterally and physically) with each other.
Post 01 Nov 2005, 15:53
Matrix

Matrix
what kind of keyboard or mouse is that if data is lost?
crc32 is the minimum to transmit data, packages must be error corrected in wireless devices, if you tell what type is it we wont buy those, thx.

btw, NI-MH is much better than any primary alkaline, they can be recharged 500-1000 times with no problem,
i use them too,
the difference between nominal operating voltages can make them unusable in devices that does not work under 1.25V,
because Ni-MH nominalk operating voltage is 1.2V, and minimum is 1V (depleted),
however i have developed some circuits that make higher voltage (above 3.5-4.5V) from a single Ni-MH cell, and drive a white led. the circuit assembled cost ~$2
Post 01 Nov 2005, 18:07
crc

crc
I have a Microsoft Optical Desktop set (mouse and "natural" keyboard). When the batteries get very low, the keyboard does lose a bit of accuracy when typing quickly. Overall though, that's just a minor hassle.

(It has the problems only when the voltage drops too low to keep a constant supply of power to the keyboard. Most wireless keyboards will have the same problem)
Post 02 Nov 2005, 01:00
Matrix

Matrix
this might be some internal voltage stability related problem, the oscillator probably pll might not be able to maintain its accuracy due to unstable internal supply voltage, slight change in transmitting frequency can cause data loss, but in case of small losses, data transmission protocol should be able to fix it, it is not a big task to transmit at 30 cps, for example at 32 MHz. so huge losses should be tolerable using appropriate transmit recieve routines.

crc, if you whould like to resolve the problem you could disassemble your mouse/keyboard and look at the power supply, maeby put another in it.
Post 02 Nov 2005, 02:42
crc

crc
Matrix: I intend to look into doing that one day. I just haven't had the time to dismantle the keyboard, isolate the problem more exactly, and fix it yet. Smile
Post 02 Nov 2005, 03:23
Octavio

Octavio
I have a Trust wireless mouse and keyboard(19€), it uses the 27Mhz band (quartz cristal is used)
and does not have any regulated power suply, battery power is used directly.
and works well with all kind of batteries for a few months.
The mouse is mechanical with all the problems of mechanical mouses,
the distance betwen transmiter and receiver must be <1m ,and sometimes
specially if battery charge is low ,some data is lost.
The data transmission is only from keyboard to computer, so the keyboard does not have status leds.
A important thing in some cases is that data is not encripted. And can be easy interfered by other devices like the computer.
Post 02 Nov 2005, 09:39

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: