flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > wow, VMware Player, i am downloading it now see

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
vbVeryBeginner

vbVeryBeginner
VMware Player can be used by anyone to run virtual machines on a Windows or Linux PC. VMware Player makes it quick and easy to take advantage of the security, flexibility, and portability of virtual machines.

seems like, time to exchange "operating system" is coming Smile
soon, OS would be like mp3 :p

guess, most distro would soon put in this format for others to easy deploy and test :-p

Quote:

Download the Browser Appliance that enables you to safely browse the Internet from within a VMware virtual machine -- protecting your host PC from spyware and malware.

now i see lots of opporturnity in here :p without having intel p4 hyper
guess hypervista got to code fast "=p

how could i forget the link...
http://www.vmware.com/products/player/
Post 20 Oct 2005, 20:21
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
vbVeryBeginner

vbVeryBeginner
now i see an idea, how bout hosting vmware?
like if u want to host a website or ... just submit ur create vmware files. the the hosting company would host ur site Smile wow.... hosting should like that (u gain total control) :p

wow, this product must be really cool.. i still got 6:30 minutes before download complete
Post 20 Oct 2005, 20:39
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
vbVeryBeginner

vbVeryBeginner
k, just notice this... lol

Can VMware Player install on the same machine as other VMware products?

A: No. VMware Player is not designed to co-install with other VMware products. If an installation of VMware Workstation, VMware ACE, or VMware GSX Server is detected on a machine where VMware Player is being installed, the VMware Player installation will display an error message and abort. However, if you purchase and install VMware Workstation 5.5, VMware Player is included.
Post 20 Oct 2005, 20:45
vbVeryBeginner

vbVeryBeginner
k, i found something :0
although the vmware player don't let u to modify almost anything easily, u can tweak the .vmx file, so ... how?

easy
if u want to boot from floppy image file, instead of floppy disk, change and add this
Code:
floppy0.fileName = "E:\BootImage.FLP"
floppy0.fileType = "file"

to set ur cd-rom drive to an ISO image, use this
Code:
' change this to 
ide1:0.present = "TRUE"
ide1:0.fileName = "auto detect"
ide1:0.deviceType = "cdrom-raw"
' this
ide1:0.present = "TRUE"
ide1:0.fileName = "G:\WIN98.ISO"
ide1:0.deviceType = "cdrom-image"

the BootImage.7z is a 1.44 MB (now 500+kb) boot disk with CD-rom support. u can format the drive with it and there is smartdrv inside. or u can use ur own OS bin output Smile

download from here.
http://sulaiman.netadvant.com/fasm/BootImage.7z

Last edited by vbVeryBeginner on 09 Apr 2006, 11:34; edited 2 times in total
Post 20 Oct 2005, 21:16
vbVeryBeginner

vbVeryBeginner
this is a BLANK system file,
include everything (devices) that u need.
u can format and install windows with it using the vmware player only
the w2ksvr.zip is SCSI disk (4GB)
while the wxppro is IDE disk (4GB)

use SCSI to install winNT line OS
use IDE to install win9x line OS + winxp (they recommmend, wonder ?)

Description: IDE disk (4GB limit)
Download
Filename: wxppro.zip
Filesize: 2.88 KB
Downloaded: 303 Time(s)

Description: SCSI disk (4GB limit)
Download
Filename: w2ksvr.zip
Filesize: 2.89 KB
Downloaded: 304 Time(s)

Last edited by vbVeryBeginner on 20 Oct 2005, 21:45; edited 2 times in total
Post 20 Oct 2005, 21:19
vbVeryBeginner

vbVeryBeginner
and this vmware player (does allow) u to build ur own OS

Post 20 Oct 2005, 21:26
HyperVista

HyperVista
Quote:
guess hypervista got to code fast "=p

yep!!! not getting much sleep these days Confused

Based on your posts, I get the sense you're beginning to see the mulitple benefits of virtualization, beyond the code development/test cycle. Idea Cool

Imagine running virutualization software on processors designed to support virtualization in hardware (Intel's VT-x ISA Extensions). The performance hit in running virutual will be so slight on those new processors that you won't be able to tell it's a VM (that annoying lag in VMWare won't be there). My project doesn't use a host OS (Windows, Linux, whatever) like VMWare does; i.e. you install VMWare tools on top of an OS. My project is it's own OS and totally abstracts the hardware for multiple other OSes to run on top of.

Gotta get back to coding FAST!!! Twisted Evil
Post 20 Oct 2005, 21:54
vbVeryBeginner

vbVeryBeginner
Quote:
My project doesn't use a host OS (Windows, Linux, whatever) like VMWare does;

ur project is really superb. can't imagine how many billions contract u would earn from it Wink

but transition from current processor to p4 VT would take (lot) time for home users. but i guess first people who embrace must be those big hosting company would benefit lots from the VT.

mabye there would be (soon exists) a project like urs, but (without the VT support) as OS that function as vmware like (with file I/O support)

if the core os know how to read several type filesystem thus compatible for all OS then it would be faster & efficient. coz u don't have to boot the linux ubuntu in order to get a file u want from there to ur current windows xp os.

or the core os provide a dump place (like core online shared folder) so, each os can access to it.

if this goes smooth, i dare to bet the longhorn vista wouldn't create any sales. people would switch to OS that perform best in particular thing instead of an OS that want to perform everything.

guess people would soon searching for the litest core vm like OS... and there is big a market there (coz that is future OS)

wow, we are in the transition of OS evolution !!
ps: microsoft, work hard & work smart, otherwise, u would gone !!

well, why i said microsoft would gone, it is because when people found such a way to do things, (a new way), people would dump the old way almost instantly. (a total migrate)
Post 20 Oct 2005, 22:58
HyperVista

HyperVista
vb - thanks for your high hopes for my project. my expectations are more modest. You're right, the transition from current P4 to VT based machines will take a while for the home user. But ..... I suspect 2 to 3 years from now, you won't be able to buy a machine that isn't VT (like you have a hard time today finding a 286 or 386 based machine).

You're right too, I think, that people will be running a variety of OSes on one platform based on the tasks they want to do. Some envision an OS launching to run a single app.

My hope is to provide virtualization for the home user ... sort of the PKZIP of virtualization .... the "must have" utility for the home user once the VT based chips are in every machine sold. VMWare, Xen, Vitrual Server, etc. will continue to dominate the large enterprise web farm markets, I want to plant a flag in the home user market and hope a deep pocket company (Micorsoft, are you listening) will buy my technology out. Then I can buy my dream house (modest farm house) in the Burgundy region of Frnace (south of Dijon)... keeps me going . Very Happy
Post 21 Oct 2005, 00:44
vbVeryBeginner

vbVeryBeginner
well, hyper, ur buyer is not microsoft only, how bout Google :p they might use such a tool to kick mr.bill.
em.. it seems the Zen was supported by microsoft :p

zen created a live demo cd to show their "virtualization" -?
u can get the torrent files from here (quite fast torrent 53kb/s in my conn) http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/Research/SRG/netos/xen/downloads.html
Post 21 Oct 2005, 02:04
vbVeryBeginner

vbVeryBeginner
i am feeling more excited as i proceed to think more about future OS. (tm) lol and how to make it happen even without the vt :0

i am thinking how far this VT could go.
the problem with current os are.
application can access to another application files.
any application can play with regedit and corrupt another application
and application can infect operating system

so, if somebody do the following;

application must able to let user do clean fresh application boot.eg. browser that infected with spyware, it should be only tat browser is infected, not the whole system. so a clean boot of that particular application would put it into fresh state like new one.

no more regedit, replace with core os, file database server, an app hold a table, if somehow the app corrupted, we just delete the app table from db
server then it would seems like we never had that application. that block occupied by that hd is mark usable

no more filesystem, when file was added into db server, core os store the LBA value of that file straight into db table.

application can use header to identified its own file, implementation is up to application, not core os duty.

and application shouldn't be tied to os, application must function like a simple server and client HTTP request.

... i can't really desc wat inside my mind now.. but this is stunning great idea.
Post 21 Oct 2005, 06:54
RedGhost

RedGhost
i am lucky enough to have VMware workstation, and their software is amazing, i have ran menuet with it, and more than one linux distro, and its not slow at all, the os responds as quick as it would if it was installed directly to HDD with that same amount of ram

Post 22 Oct 2005, 20:11
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger Reply with quote
vbVeryBeginner

vbVeryBeginner
nice stuff to make this free player a complete vmware workstation

http://petruska.stardock.net/software/VMware/
Post 26 Oct 2005, 11:02

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: