flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > for those who want really "lite" xp os, or win2k,

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
decard

decard
I have installed nlited system on my first partition. Now it works perfectly - loads fast, without any side effects. Great!
Post 07 Nov 2005, 10:18
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
did you have .NET framework installed?!? I am afraid of such things, i don't want to kill week with reintalling my computer again just because i can't remove something i installed
Post 07 Dec 2005, 03:33
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
vbVeryBeginner

vbVeryBeginner
fyi, the lastest version might require compulsory .net framework installation, but u could opt for the old version. (the authoer provide .net run-time files) so u don't have to install .net in order to run his nlite software

and if you disable the system file protection!!!!

you could have your windows xp or 2000 installed in less than 10 minutes!!!!
Post 28 Feb 2006, 14:00
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Borsuc

Borsuc
f0dder wrote:
Not really... Once you start removing some components with nLite, all kinds of things break - from things like the user management console, or third-party apps. This doesn't matter to those of use that want a "lite" system and don't run those 3rd-party things, but it makes Microsoft's statement valid.

The "IE core" is used by a LOT of applications now - and that's just the HTML renderer etc. The common controls were introduced with IE too, I don't expect you'd say those can be removed from windows and still have everything working? Wink

but that's exactly the problem..

Microsoft introduce a crappy-thingy.. many start to use it... and then they claim they can't remove it! Razz but they did have this in plan (I'm pretty aware of companies power/domination/proudness/money and whatever other goals you think of)

You could have removed those nasty-crap, IF the applications were written well (i.e not using the crap).. but that's just never gonna happen, 'cause I know Microsoft add crap on purpose (why does Longhorn/Vista use 3D??? it is not more useable! and I bet there's a whole bunch of crap there too) sorry if i'm too quick to judge

so, you CANNOT remove something from Wind0ze and expect it to work as before (sure, it holds true for crappy-features), 'cause the apps are not written well and use that crap. Smile
Post 28 Feb 2006, 17:41
Matrix

Matrix
hi guys,

heh,
even latest professional windows is full of bugs, and incompatible with new computers, it whould have no good in it to try the "lite" i think.

btw, this slow load is familiar, asus P5AD2-E, 3066MHz Intel Celeron S775, 512MB DDR2 ram, GF 6600 256MB PCI-E, 2x200GB samsung hdd (raid array) - win 98 says there is no hdd ...
winxp sp1 before hangs, instable, slow boot, "hal.dll" missing error at some random time intervals while boot (dll is there and al right )
winxp sp2 - finally this could be set up on computer, and seems working, but still there is that %sytemroot%\system32\hal.dll missing or invalid error,
and booting about 10 times longer than a 927MHz Celeron II, 160MB sd, and single UDMA-33 mode hdd.

Not to say, without proper vga drivers, display is lagging like on some 286 computer with 512 kb isa vga card ...
drawing pixels by putpixel via bios interrupt is faster.
Post 28 Feb 2006, 18:18
Matrix

Matrix
vbVeryBeginner wrote:
fyi, the lastest version might require compulsory .net framework installation, but u could opt for the old version. (the authoer provide .net run-time files) so u don't have to install .net in order to run his nlite software

and if you disable the system file protection!!!!

you could have your windows xp or 2000 installed in less than 10 minutes!!!!

Wink make an xp partition (ntfs, 2.5-3.5GB) use a partition imager software, backup partition, and there you go, restore whould be 1-2 minutes from a dvd.
Post 28 Feb 2006, 18:20
Madis731

Madis731
Well, nLite is in its early stage and you can expect even greater thing from it. I think everything that you do manually "now" can be done (semi-)automatically later...
Post 02 Mar 2006, 07:58
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
tomd123

tomd123
You can also go to my computer properties on xp -> advanced -> performance -> adjust for performance(aka everything off), my comp sometimes lagged with 2.4ghz processor, now everything runs instantly, why didn't I do this earlier!! + I run classic gui so I didn't notice anything changed:)
Post 11 Aug 2006, 00:35
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
also take a look at thing called "Windows PE"
Post 11 Aug 2006, 06:35
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
f0dder

f0dder
WinPE isn't usable for a windows installation... it's good for "rescue CDs", though. Google for BartPE.

[quote=The_Grey_Beast]
You could have removed those nasty-crap, IF the applications were written well (i.e not using the crap).. but that's just never gonna happen, 'cause I know Microsoft add crap on purpose (why does Longhorn/Vista use 3D??? it is not more useable! and I bet there's a whole bunch of crap there too) sorry if i'm too quick to judge
[/quote]
In other words, if every application came with their own HTML renderer, own "common controls"-like controls, etc., then Microsoft could remove this functionality from the OS...

that's lame. Got any idea how much more bloat this would add to already huge programs?
Post 11 Aug 2006, 09:25
pelaillo
Missing in inaction

pelaillo
Have anyone a clue about what's inside the 20MB acrobat reader's setup? or the 10 MB skype's setup? Both programs were about 2 or 3 MB sized setup with most of their features already.
And when the setup is running, it touches a lot of system files and configuration (too much for a reader. don't you?)
Skype's size skyrokets after eBay's acquisition. I wonder what's inside considering their *motto* adware free and spyware free.
Post 11 Aug 2006, 13:06
DataHunter2009

DataHunter2009
Quote:
Skype's size skyrokets after eBay's acquisition.

More features? Wink
Post 11 Aug 2006, 14:00
vbVeryBeginner

vbVeryBeginner
btw, if you guys don't like to NLITE, maybe u don't like the process or etc, or you just want something that come out official "lite", then windows FLP (Windows Fundamentals for Legacy PCs) is something you probably want Smile

Wink Wink
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Fundamentals_for_Legacy_PCs

(i*) tried run vmware on it, utorrent, opera, fasm Cool , paintshop pro, PSDK, vlc player, real alternative almost all works without any problem, except for vmware, (i*) need to copy a DINPUT.DLL from directx .cab file and place it in system32.

almost look like winxp sp2 except, more lite :p i think windows would rocks if NLITE, nuhi created nlite tool to lite this windows FLP :p
Post 31 Aug 2006, 14:09
vbVeryBeginner

vbVeryBeginner
now, new lighter things came from microsoft, (i think they exists from long time, but i only knew it recently).

http://www.apcstart.com/site/jbannan/2006/08/1082/windows-pe-20-a-tiny-version-of-windows-for-system-maintenance

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Preinstallation_Environment

Windows PE 2.0: a tiny version of Windows for system maintenance

how bout booting ur pc using this Smile
Post 05 Sep 2006, 11:26
f0dder

f0dder
WinPE will reboot automatically after running 24 hours, unless you hax0r it.
Post 05 Sep 2006, 12:56
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
who reboots it? kernel?
Post 05 Sep 2006, 12:59
Maverick

Maverick
Is this thread about Vista? Very Happy
Post 05 Sep 2006, 15:08
f0dder

f0dder
vid wrote:
who reboots it? kernel?

Dunno, my guess is either kernel or winlogon. I know somebody must have patched it. WinPE seems a bit slower than regular XP/2003 in some ways, anyway.

Post 05 Sep 2006, 15:18
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
ok, somethign new Smile from ms

http://www.redmondmag.com/features/article.asp?EditorialsID=640

Quote:
Server Core: Windows Without Windows
- it will only take one-sixth of the disk space of a normal Longhorn installation
- can only act as a file server, domain controller, DNS server or DHCP server.
- There's no Internet Explorer, no Outlook Express, Calculator or Windows Paint, no Wordpad, Windows Messenger or Media Player -- just the basics.
- no Microsoft .NET Framework.
Post 07 Oct 2006, 14:00

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: