flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > for those who want really "lite" xp os, or win2k,

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
vbVeryBeginner

vbVeryBeginner
http://www.nliteos.com/download.html
this can trim ur os setup files to <250 MB (winxp sp2)
xp loads like crazy fast eventough in vmware.

remove all the craps and reinstall ur xp, w2k today Smile
Post 19 Oct 2005, 14:44
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
of course 60% of windoze is useless crap. For example look at %WINDOWS%/system32/dllcache directory (300 Mb)
Post 19 Oct 2005, 15:24
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
RedGhost

RedGhost
hmm cool, i think i am too lazy to backup 200gigs of files to simply have a lighter xp install though

and yeah, i find almost every os runs smooth and fast under vmware Smile

Post 19 Oct 2005, 17:11
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger Reply with quote
decard

decard
So does it speed up system startup too?
Post 19 Oct 2005, 17:31
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
vbVeryBeginner

vbVeryBeginner
speed up almost 80% Smile
the xp (scrolling bar when system boot) run 2 times only
in vmware, the scrolling bar runs 1 time only... u got to try it decard.

btw, the nlite provide run-times as well, so for those who don't like .net framework, this is a good news.
Post 19 Oct 2005, 17:46
decard

decard
OK, decided to try it. Now it is generating ISO file with my new windows Wink In a moment I will see what it can do.
Post 19 Oct 2005, 19:03
vbVeryBeginner

vbVeryBeginner
i up my list file here, maybe u can use it?

Description:
Download
Filename: Last Session.txt
Filesize: 16.63 KB
Downloaded: 641 Time(s)

Post 19 Oct 2005, 19:38
decard

decard
well, I got an ISO file that was only 230mb. I installed it as a secondary system. After instalation, when I removed dllcache, my Windows directory has only 500mb. That's very nice.

But, proably I did something wrong, or missed something: startup was terribly slow - scroll bar ran 34 times (!!!) even on my relatively fast box (Athlon XP 64 3000+). When my primary system starts, it runs 3-4 times (~2 just after installation).

Anyway I will try again, and see if I can improve the result.
Post 19 Oct 2005, 20:30
vbVeryBeginner

vbVeryBeginner
maybe u remove something which is "core" for the booting process.. try compare ur list with my list Smile my scrollbar run 2 times only. maybe u remove 2 many things ;p

P4 2.66 here, 512 mb ddr
via chipset
Post 20 Oct 2005, 05:22
vbVeryBeginner

vbVeryBeginner
my lite windows xp sp2 (32-bits) took 16 minutes to setup
how bout urs. decard?
Post 20 Oct 2005, 06:55
decard

decard
Installed again from your session. Instalation took 20 minutes... but the loading process still takes very long time. Maybe that's because I'm installing it on fourth partion, instead of first...
Post 20 Oct 2005, 12:58
vbVeryBeginner

vbVeryBeginner
that is kinda weird, ur system is better than mine +50% :p
but how u gonna boot from fourth partition? i thought windows always need first (primary) partition to works

i always make my C drive size about 7 - 8 GB only (only for OS files) all other docs r store in other partition. or i can format anytime without worry losing any files.

mine is FAT32, maybe u r using NTFS? or u need a 64 bits Windows XP?
Post 20 Oct 2005, 13:08
decard

decard
When you install XP you can choose where to install it (one of the first instalation screens). If other M$ system was already installed on other partition, you can choose between them at startup. I formated this partition in NTFS, but it doesn't matter: first partition is also NTFS, and XP from that partition boots a lot faster.
Post 20 Oct 2005, 13:24
vbVeryBeginner

vbVeryBeginner
this is nlite"d" windows xp sp2 in vmware 5 movie
compress using 7zip
u see how much nlite improve windows xp & vmware experience.
i think microsoft should buy this software.

a vmware captured movie show the boot time of nlited windows xp (if i remembered correctly)
http://sulaiman.netadvant.com/fasm/winxpproboot.7z

Last edited by vbVeryBeginner on 09 Apr 2006, 11:42; edited 1 time in total
Post 20 Oct 2005, 17:49
decard

decard
Quote:
i think microsoft should buy this software.

No. They would do something bad with it. Wink
Post 20 Oct 2005, 17:56
pelaillo
Missing in inaction

pelaillo
Quote:

No. They would do something bad with it.

I agree. They add that bunch of crap as a planned action.

Several years ago they haven't had any problems telling the jury (under oath) they are not able to remove that useless crap from the rest of the operating system.

This program is the proof they commited perjury.
Post 20 Oct 2005, 18:24
f0dder

f0dder
Quote:

This program is the proof they commited perjury.

Not really... Once you start removing some components with nLite, all kinds of things break - from things like the user management console, or third-party apps. This doesn't matter to those of use that want a "lite" system and don't run those 3rd-party things, but it makes Microsoft's statement valid.

The "IE core" is used by a LOT of applications now - and that's just the HTML renderer etc. The common controls were introduced with IE too, I don't expect you'd say those can be removed from windows and still have everything working? Wink
Post 23 Oct 2005, 01:23
vbVeryBeginner

vbVeryBeginner
Quote:
Once you start removing some components with nLite, all kinds of things break

back in the days windows 95 / 98 + iE, there wasn't much intergration on browser with OS.
Post 23 Oct 2005, 21:44
decard

decard
but there are still many things that can be removed. Messenger, Movie Maker... But also many drivers for some exotic devices....
Post 24 Oct 2005, 14:15
f0dder

f0dder
decard wrote:
but there are still many things that can be removed. Messenger, Movie Maker... But also many drivers for some exotic devices....

Indeed, and all the XP installs in this house are nLited - with manual tweaks instead of the nLite-applied once, since a lot of the nLite tweaks don't work and I might as well do it manually (well, "manual" as in running some AutoIt scripts during install).
Post 24 Oct 2005, 22:26

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: