flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > european date format versus american date format :)

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
THEWizardGenius

THEWizardGenius
Don't you mean 10/1/05? Or do Europeans use dd/mm/yy instead of mm/dd/yy as we do here?
Post 07 Sep 2005, 03:53
comrade

comrade
dd/mm/yyyy is the way to go (LS -> MS)
yyyy/mm/dd is still logical (MS -> LS)

mm/dd/yyyy, the American way, makes no sense at all, there is no order
Post 07 Sep 2005, 04:10
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
vbVeryBeginner

vbVeryBeginner
mm/dd/yyyy follow 28th January, 1995
Post 07 Sep 2005, 06:17
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Madis731

Madis731
oh no... mm/dd/yy is the worst possible way to write dates - why confuse people Neutral how do you sort dates then when you have to end up in the middle of the date string :S ? Its a horror in databases Razz
Post 07 Sep 2005, 07:52
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
THEWizardGenius

THEWizardGenius
I agree, when I was little I was always confused... However, now that I am used to it, the "better" way confuses me... lol
Post 08 Sep 2005, 00:14
Kain

Kain
Who said you have to store it that way?

I always use mm/dd/yy myself. It feels the most natural.
Post 08 Sep 2005, 00:18
Matrix

Matrix
i think same as comrade about this yyyy/mm/dd thing logical is LSB to MSB
and MSB to LSB , others make a mess, however it does not interfere with database use, if they are stored in seperate variables not in one string.

and think about case 01/05/2005 and 05/01/2005 i saw similar on foods here, you can not determine from this if it is still eatable...
or shop workers know either, or they dont care, or know about, just left there - hoping someone will not care about it.
Post 08 Sep 2005, 00:57
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
decard

decard
I moved this part of discussion to the Heap, as it became offtopic Wink
Post 08 Sep 2005, 09:51
shoorick

shoorick
there are a lot of not logical or different between countries/peoples, but what we can do - it is a historical traditions Smile order of the mail adress: in ussr was: country->city->street->house. i think it is more logical. currently in ukraine "international" standart: backward. also sender/reciever were swapped. it is rare i wrote paper letters, but once i've decided send a letter to my brother. i've got an answer from him two days later and surprised he answered so fast, then i saw it was mine letter Very Happy
Post 08 Sep 2005, 10:10
pelaillo
Missing in inaction

pelaillo
Inches, pounds and friends are still causing a lot of conversion time and non trivial problems.
It's just the cost of backward compatibility Wink
Post 08 Sep 2005, 17:33
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
pelaillo is right. fortunatelly we don't have this problem with FASM, 1.64 was at least backward-breaking some not-very-good stuff
Post 08 Sep 2005, 18:04
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
Artlav

Artlav
And what about american 12 oclock time system? Isn't it ridiculous to split a 24 hour day into 2 by 12 oclocks?

And mm.dd.yyyy can really cause a mess in the beginning of a month...

#pelaillo#It's just the cost of backward compatibility
Look at x86-64 - what a mess, compared with ARM or Sparc.

The God was able to create a whole universe in only a seven days because He didn't bothered about backward compatibility Smile
Post 09 Sep 2005, 13:48
THEWizardGenius

THEWizardGenius
Well it stinks, because if nothing is standard how am I supposed to know if it's September 11 or November 9?
Post 11 Sep 2005, 18:05
SDragon

SDragon
You can never be sure. 9/11 might be September 11 or November 9 in the international world.

There's a related problem in Microsoft's Date-Time Picker control included in WinXP. Imagine this control containing the date "9/15/2005" (September 15), and the user wants to enter "10/31/2005" (October 31).

The control can check if the date exists. When you enter the month, the program founds that there are 31 days in October, so you can enter "31". If you try to enter "9/31" or "02/30", it will not let you, because there's no September 31 or February 30 in the modern calendar. (See attached animation DateTimeMMdd.gif.)

Now switch to the Russian standards in the Control Panel (dd.MM.yyyy, for example 15.09.2005 is September 15). Rerun the program and try to enter "31.10.2005". The control will not let you to enter "31", because there are only 30 days in September. But I don't start to enter the month yet! I enter the day at first, and the control interpreted this as September, 31. (See DateTimeddMM.gif.)

The folks at Microsoft seems to miss this problem. Or, someone can say that American standard (MM/dd) is better because it lets your computer to check the date, but I don't find much sense here.

Description: i18n issue in MS Date-Time Picker
Download
Filename: DateTimePickerInternationalIssue.zip
Filesize: 3.87 KB
Downloaded: 329 Time(s)

Post 15 Sep 2005, 03:01
proveren

proveren
The truth is only one - Europe rules, EU sucks !!!
Post 16 Sep 2005, 08:20
comrade

comrade
don't be ignorant
Post 16 Sep 2005, 12:44
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
THEWizardGenius

THEWizardGenius
The truth is only one: Beware the power of the force!
Post 16 Sep 2005, 18:43
smiddy

smiddy
There are many different formats as well as calendars. The Gregorian calendar isn't the only one, but it is the most widely used. Take a look at the Mayan calendar...or Hijri calendar...or Chinese calendar...or Indian calendar...or Jewish calendar...or Julian calendar...or ancient Babylonian calendar...or ancient Egyptian calendar...or Republican calendar...or ancient Roman calendar...or Ethiopian calendar...or Coptic calendar...or Persian calendar...or Hindu calendar...or Pawukon calendar...or International Fixed calendar...or World calendar. <sigh!> Razz
Post 17 Sep 2005, 04:13
Remy Vincent

Remy Vincent
Europe :
---------

- "See you next Sunday in Paris..."
- "Ok, so..., see you the... 25 of September."

USA :
-----

- "See you last Sunday of next month in Las Vegas..."
- "Ok, so..., see you on... October 30."

CONCLUSION: Short distances "dd/mm" dates and long distances "mm/dd" dates !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Conclusion 2 : Russian people can travel very fast accross their country.
Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

Post 17 Sep 2005, 05:21

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: