flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > Scripting language

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
OzzY

OzzY
Hello! I want to learn php or perl. What do you think is better?
I want to learn a scripting language to:
* write scripts to run on my machine.
* compile to .exe if possible and distribute.
* be easy to learn with good tutorials on the internet.
* be easy to install and run under windows xp.
Please point some pros and cons. Also post a link to download the interpreter and compiler (to .exe). And some good tutorials and sites please.

Thanks!

PS: I already know C, pascal, basic and some assembly. Please remember this if it changes if I can learn faster some of them.
Post 29 Aug 2005, 17:26
f0dder

f0dder
If you're going to write scripts to run on your machine, php doesn't really sound like the proper choice.

Python has a .exe compiler, and perl probably does too. Both are pretty popular languages with a lot of documentation available. Perl is older, and has a *large* standard library.

There's win32 environments for both python and perl (check activestate).

You might also want to look at http://www.lua.org , it's becoming pretty popular for scripting your own applications (World Of Warcraft uses it).
Post 29 Aug 2005, 20:01
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
rugxulo

rugxulo
FreeBASIC (Win, Linux, DOS; based on GCC backend) has a library to support Lua scripts. This probably ain't exactly what you wanted, but oh well. Smile
Post 15 Dec 2005, 00:21
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
rugxulo

rugxulo
How about Euphoria? It allows scripting via the interpreter, has a translator to convert to C, and works well with Windows, DOS, Linux, and FreeBSD. There's tons of source code on the main site, including Lua and WxWidgets wrappers, .MOD players, games, compression, etc.
Post 16 Dec 2005, 23:32
flaith

flaith

Post 17 Dec 2005, 17:18
ronware

ronware
Try Reva for something small, fast and different - written in FASM.
Post 18 Dec 2005, 01:51
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote
OzzY

OzzY
I'm bringing up this topic again because now I HAVE to choose one scripting language with GUI for a project for school.
The options are:
* Perl / Tk
* Python / TK
* Tcl / Tk
which do you recommend?
Post 20 Apr 2006, 16:50
okasvi

okasvi
Tcl for GUI project... and i believe there is TCL2EXE compiler which statically links all runtimes...
Post 20 Apr 2006, 18:57
rugxulo

rugxulo
Disclaimer: I've never used any of the following, so this info is hardly exhaustive, but I hope it helps (a little, at least):

I once was searching Google for something, found the quote "easier than Perl", searched for that, and found that almost every language under the sun was qualified as "easier than Perl", but some people love it (mix of C, csh, sed, awk). If you like those, go for it, but "line noise" and "write only code" are thrown around a lot describing it. Plus, it seems to require like a billion modules and stuff. Seems too robust for any normal use. But, it has a solid user base.

Python is always praised for being easy to use, but it seems a bit eccentric (indention must be preserved), but Google uses it, so it ain't "evil." Smile
This may be a good choice if you can get past the terminology. I would probably start here (if you don't know or prefer Perl). Most apps I've seen for it seem to be internet-oriented, though.

I never see many people claim to use Tcl ("tickle"), but I'm told Tcl/Tk ("toolkit") is good for GUI stuff.
Post 21 Apr 2006, 20:17
OzzY

OzzY
I've read a bit of Perl, Tcl and Python.
I'm taking an look at all scripting languages on the internet. Just to grow my knowledge and prepare myself to future projects.

Does anyone know Ruby? http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/

Also, is there some cool multiplatform scripting language, cool for webprogramming (sockets, smtp, ftp,...), that's able to be compiled or somewhat packed to created stand-alone .EXE's?

Thanks

Quote:
I once was searching Google for something, found the quote "easier than Perl", searched for that, and found that almost every language under the sun was qualified as "easier than Perl", but some people love it (mix of C, csh, sed, awk). If you like those, go for it, but "line noise" and "write only code" are thrown around a lot describing it. Plus, it seems to require like a billion modules and stuff. Seems too robust for any normal use. But, it has a solid user base.

I find Perl easier, because I'm a C programmer too. The syntax is very similar (if, for, while...)

Quote:
I never see many people claim to use Tcl ("tickle"), but I'm told Tcl/Tk ("toolkit") is good for GUI stuff.

The Tk GUI toolkit (originally only for Tcl) is available for Perl, Python and others...
Post 29 Apr 2006, 17:27
OzzY

OzzY
I just found PHP-GTK today.
I know that there are some PHP programmers here. So, is anyone using it?
http://gtk.php.net/
Post 04 May 2006, 17:54
UCM

UCM
PHP-GTK is kind of hard to use for beginners, but is not that bad after you make some small programs. I wrote a notepad-type program using PHP-GTK, complicated >1000 lines. (most of these lines are short/repeating lots of times.) Good for making small tools, though GtkText (text box) was really, really annoying.

Well, this was my experience for PHP-GTK 1.1 anyways. Hopefully, version 2 will be better.

Post 07 May 2006, 00:32
OzzY

OzzY
Today I found 2 insteresting things:
* Scriptol: http://www.scriptol.com/
Quote:
"Scriptol is a modern programming language, designed to be simple and easy to learn, allowing new users ready to program in some hours. The programming time is largely decreased.
Scriptol is object-oriented, xml-oriented, extensible, universal, uses C++, Php or Java APIs, and GTK for graphical user interface. It is universal, that means it is convenient for scripting, to build applications or to make dynamic web pages.
Free scriptol interpreter and compilers are currently available for Windows and Unix."

It can be converted to c++ and compiled with VC++, BCC, Mingw or GCC.
It can be converted in php.
Right now I'm learning more about it... Very Happy

* Klorofil: http://www.klorofil.org/
Klorofil is a full-featured platform for PHP.
he objective of the Klorofil Collaboration Project is:

* Design a scalability PHP platform, from personal to enterprise use. For this purpose, we have to add some important features to Klorofil platform like desktop GUI framework, web application framework (MVC), distributed computing, etc.
* Build a commercial-grade IDE to ease application development stage
* Build full-featured application server for enterprise use
* Klorofil platform have complete and customizable application development libraries
* Develop many open-source, free, and useful applications based on Klorofil platform
* The project get fully support from open source community and industry partners

Just sharing it...
I found it today... is anyone using one of them?
Post 13 May 2006, 00:21

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: