flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > the future operating systme .. imho

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
vbVeryBeginner

vbVeryBeginner
i just wanna share a little bit thought on future operating system.
imho, the future operating system would be something like a resource wise pc emulator or virtual pc.

program / software (and one of the software is operating system)could be running in several mode.

the advantage is guess is, you can back up the operating system, clone it. you can assign 1 virtual pc for browsing internet purpose, (no worry of virus) since you can set the hard disk revert to orginal after power off. 1 virtual pc to hold all you accounting information, 1 virtual pc for your household 24x7 database.

the vos can create one global hard disk which is available to every vpc, (something like drive mapping) and store all the required file there.

the current situation is, the virtual pc is sit below the operating system. something like u install vmware inside the windows xp, or install the bochs inside the linux. the idea is to make the vmware or bochs an operating system and sit on the top of all.

btw, if something like this is out there, plez let me know.

virtual OS Smile
Post 21 Aug 2005, 02:41
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
THEWizardGenius

THEWizardGenius
I want to tell you what I think the future PC will be like.

I think it will be a virtual PC Smile

You will wear VR-like glasses that show a virtual monitor, keyboard and mouse- that can be hidden in order to see everything else.

Your arms will have gloves that respond to movements, so you can type on the virtual keyboard or mouse.

Earplugs will give sound from the computer, or from real life, or both, depending on a switch.

You will carry the (very tiny) computer itself in your pocket, and it will have USB, serial, Ethernet, and firewire ports so you can connect to physical PCs or other devices. It will also have built-in wireless networking.

Virtual PC Smile
I'm already looking forward to that type of PC Very Happy
Post 21 Aug 2005, 19:42
crc

crc
Quote:
I think it will be a virtual PC Smile

You will wear VR-like glasses that show a virtual monitor, keyboard and mouse- that can be hidden in order to see everything else.

In other words, your ideal future PC would be even less useful to those with disabilities than what we have today.
Post 21 Aug 2005, 19:57
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
THEWizardGenius

THEWizardGenius
In what way? People with disabilities can wear glasses, ear things, and a little machine in their pocket, right?

If you don't want to use the keyboard and/or mouse, there can be voice recognition or other similar technologies.
Post 22 Aug 2005, 00:30
crc

crc
The problem there is that disabilities can go beyond that. For example, one of the users of RetroForth is blind. He needs a serial-connected braille device to "read" things on screen. Graphics of any sort are beyond access to him.

I also know people who can't speak, so voice recognition is out for them. Mice are almost impossible to control if you have certain conditions, and those who are paralyzed can have difficulty using even a keyboard. I've also encounted some people who are deaf. Virtual reality is out of the reach of most of these people.

So while a Virtual Reality PC would be cool from a tech standpoint, it'd be unusable for a significant number of people. (I've learned this the hard way. When I was younger and healthier, I was able to use a lot more "cool" technology, but now I recognize that "cool" doesn't always equal useful. Even a traditional GUI is outside the reach of some people I deal with. I think it's important to keep that in mind as those of us who do OS development work on the next generation user interfaces)
Post 22 Aug 2005, 01:21
HyperVista

HyperVista
@vbVeryBeginner - I think what you describe as a future OS is what analysts call a hypervisor. Hypervisors are here and now, primarily on the server side (large enterprise network centers and web server farms). VMWare's ESX server product is hypervisor based. Hypervisors are lightweight OSes whos applications are other OSes. Hypervisor technology is now getting a lot of attention on the client side of things. Both Intel and AMD are soon to release CPUs that support virtualization of OSes natively in silicon. When these chips become part and parcel to the commodity PCs you and I buy, then the future OS you described will likey become a reality. Xen is a perfect example of an emerging client side hypervisor. Others will follow ... Microsoft is working on a hypervisor to be included in future releases of Vista.

I think your post was very insightful.

- Hypervista
Post 22 Aug 2005, 03:13
vbVeryBeginner

vbVeryBeginner
One difference between VMware and Xen: The former completely simulates a machine, which theoretically allows any operating system to run unmodified on a virtual machine. Xen, on the other hand, uses "paravirtualization," which doesn't go as far. That means faster performance but also requires an operating system to be modified to run

from: http://news.com.com/Xen+lures+big-name+endorsements+-+page+2/2100-7344_3-5581484-2.html?tag=st.num

the xen idea is nice. (i hope i got the idea correctly)
Post 22 Aug 2005, 07:29
vbVeryBeginner

vbVeryBeginner
what i think now is, what if application could bypass OS to call directly on hardware?

let say, if we use xen and we want to use mysql server. what we still need to do is, we need to install the ported netBSD into Xen, then install mysql on the netBSD.

i think, the virtual OS should provide the native API calls (a level higher than assembly call) for its "applicatin: OS" to access the hardware. so application like "mysql" could skip the netBSD part and call directly to virtual OS. i think that would be more faster.

i think future application should dependent on the native virtual OS call and no other depencency.

- vbverybeginner
Post 22 Aug 2005, 07:35
HyperVista

HyperVista
While technically possible, such an application would have to anticipate and properly handle all possible hardware interfaces. An interesting idea, but not too practical, imho.
Post 22 Aug 2005, 12:40
THEWizardGenius

THEWizardGenius
This is starting to sound too much like an exokernel to me. I don't like exokernels, as they make the application programmers job overly difficult.
Post 22 Aug 2005, 14:50
vbVeryBeginner

vbVeryBeginner
ya, i guess what inside my mind is something like exokernel.
http://pdos.csail.mit.edu/exo.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exokernel
Post 22 Aug 2005, 16:28

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: