flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > best linux distribution for newbie?

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
f0dder

f0dder
Quote:

About the NTFS: Do I have to mount the hard drive or something?

Just be careful with linux NTFS if you're going to mount read/write. The native drivers aren't even 100% mature for read, and the "wrap the NT drivers" approach can turn around and bite you (friend of mine lost a good deal of data using the NTFS-on-win9x by sysinternals, and the sysinternals guys are a lot more intimate with NT drivers and NTFS than the linux hackers).

PPPoE can be a REAL pain on linux. There's basically two ways to achieve it... kernel mode support (which I would prefer, especially on high-speed links) and user-mode. I got kernel-mode working ONCE, but never again Smile, and I think it's deprecated. User-mode is usually handled by Roaring-Penguin PPPoE which either works out of the box... or probably never will Smile

And even with a PPPoE link, there's a couple of ways to handle stuff. With DHCP (most newer providers), or PPP (legacy, the stuff you need RoaringPenguin for).

Welcome to the wonderful world of linux Wink
Post 15 May 2006, 17:12
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
pelaillo
Missing in inaction

pelaillo
OzzY check the /etc/ppp/resolv.conf and /etc/resolv.conf to see if there is a problem with a symlink.
Also try adsl-start you can get it here: http://dotpups.de/dotpups/Internet/

Quote:

About the NTFS: Do I have to mount the hard drive or something?

You can mount it from commandline or using the puppy mount utility. As per f0dder's advice, make sure you have a backup of your important data.
Post 15 May 2006, 18:54
OzzY

OzzY
If I can't access my hard drive with puppy, how will I use the adsl-start file there?
Is there a way to mount a floppy drive, so I donwload the file to A: and use from there?
Post 15 May 2006, 20:27
pelaillo
Missing in inaction

pelaillo
Puppy can work entirely to and from the ramdisk. The file is launched and installed with the dot.pup assistant even if you don't have a hard drive.
It's strange that you have no access to your hard disk. Are you able to see the partition(s)? or your hardware is not being recognized?
Post 16 May 2006, 12:56
OzzY

OzzY
I`m now trying the Slax Live CD distro and it`s pretty good. The internet setup was easy.
But I`ve got a problem: I can`t set the resolution to 1024z768 with refresh of 60hz. If I use the default 1024x768 and refresh of 75Hz the screen is blank. If I tell it to detect my hardware then it uses ugly and big 640x480 and refresh of 60Hz.
I want it to be 1024x768 and refresh of 60Hz.
How to do it?

Thanks!

EDIT:
As I had the problem with Slax, which looks more beautiful and complete then Puppy, Im running Puppy again and I managed to get the internet to work, by using the command pppoe-setup. The windowed wizard couldnt setup up it.
I still cant access my HD, and Im afraid of trying this, as NTFS support on Linux is very unstable.
If I get Slax resolution setup to work, I will use it for coding in ASM for Linux! Very Happy
Also, Im searching for a easy to setup and to use, Linux distro. I will buy a new small HD and install Linux there. I also want to learn OS coding, and I will test my OS on both diskette and the new HD.
Post 18 May 2006, 00:38
Aquila

Aquila
Way to go. Linux is fun Smile. Chances are high it will by my next desktop OS because it looks like Microsoft have not released any decent OS after Win2k and no signs it will do somewhen in future.
Post 19 Jun 2006, 16:22
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
rugxulo

rugxulo
Define 'decent'. It's not for everyone (and not free, unless you count a time-limited Vista beta2 4 gig download).

Not exactly minimalist (needs *at least* 512 MB RAM), but neither is Puppy Linux (128 MB). Even the latest eComStation requires 64 MB (or twice that for the live CD demo).

P.S. Ozzy, you can supposedly read (not write) NTFS from DOS via
Active@NTFS reader for DOS. Maybe DOSemu will run it. This assumes you only want to read NTFS (not write) since Linux has its own preferred filesystems. Might run better than what you've already got (though I haven't tried it).

<EDIT>
Since it runs in DOS, maybe it'll run under DOSbox under Menuet.
</EDIT>
Post 20 Jun 2006, 03:19

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: