flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > best linux distribution for newbie?

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
decard

decard
Finally I've bought a 64-bit processor (Athlon 64 3000+). I would like to get some Linux distro so I could finally learn about this system, and write some 64-bit apps (currently I don't have enough money to buy 64-bit WinXP). What distro could you suggest? I'm a complete newbie to Linux, shame on me I didn't try it before... Smile
Post 12 Aug 2005, 11:43
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Tomasz Grysztar
Assembly Artist

Tomasz Grysztar
That depends on what kind of newbie you are. Wink
For example, for me coming from DOS, the Gentoo was the most friendly flavor of Linux. But I guess Gentoo is not friendly at all for someone coming from Windows.
Post 12 Aug 2005, 11:47
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
pelaillo
Missing in inaction

pelaillo
decard, I suggest you to give Gentoo a try. The time you spent installing it is useful because you learn a lot about linux and the packages that made up a distro.

Another suggestion: burn a mini live CD with Puppy Linux. You will love it, it runs entirely on RAM (you will notice the speed Wink ) and all your configurations are saved back to a single file, even back to the CD. There is no need to install it.
Post 12 Aug 2005, 12:43
madmatt

madmatt
I'm no expert on Linux but linspire looks good. goto: www.linspire.com
Post 12 Aug 2005, 22:22
THEWizardGenius

THEWizardGenius
Linspire looks too much like a WIMP (Windows, Icon, Pointer, Mouse) linux. If you're that kind of person, fine.

But there are some others that look good. Apparently a lot of people here like Slackware (see this: http://board.flatassembler.net/topic.php?t=2947 ), and since they are programmers like you they probably know best. I actually am installing Mandriva/Mandrake Linux as we speak (given to me by a friend), but that's not necessarily "the best".

In fact, I'd assume "the best" is whatever works best for you. So look around, read descriptions, choose what you want. Remember, when picking a linux distribution, the main factor is which programs come with it- because they all have the linux kernel and bash, at heart Wink
Post 12 Aug 2005, 22:38
decard

decard
Now I'm writing this from Puppy Linux Wink Seems to be really easy to use for me. Just I can't make my sound card work in here Confused
I also downloaded Gentoo and I will try it. Linspiere... well it seems to be very cool but unfortunatelly they said I have to pay for it, which is what I won't do Smile
I have also borrowed Mandrake 10 from my friend, but... it has 3 install CDs, so it seems to be too overbloated, while I wanted something rather small just to learn some linux basics... so proably I won't bother installing it.

Now it is time to download fasm and try linux assembly Very Happy
Post 13 Aug 2005, 09:01
DataHunter2009

DataHunter2009
I recieved a distro called Xandros from someone. It's a really great linux distro. The installation is smooth and windows-like. Plus you get KDE and a bunch of apps pre-installed. I ran fasm on it and it works great! Very Happy
Post 13 Aug 2005, 14:41
Chewy509

Chewy509
I would also recommend CRUX v2.1 (www.crux.nu) and FreeBSD.

I'm running CRUX v2.1 (AMD64) on my dual Opteron box, and it's a nice small distro. (If you plan to try CRUX, in particular the AMD64 port, there are a few things that you need to know before hand).

FreeBSD, well is one of the better supported and documented *BSDs, and is suitable for new users as well... (Be warned, once you go slackware, CRUX or FreeBSD, you'll never want to touch any other distro again).
Post 15 Aug 2005, 02:41
OzzY

OzzY
Right now I'm downloading Kurumin, a brasilian Linux distro that runs in a live CD (no need to install), but can also be installed to HD.
This distro is created by a famous Hardware Magazine and is great for newbies coming from windows (it has a menu similar to start menu, and other goodies), because it makes easy to setup internet and applications.
Plus it already comes with lots of tools like firefox, gcc, KDE, etc...
It's in portuguese and based in Debian.

There is also Ubuntu, that works in similar way and is in english.
Lots of distros here for download: http://superdownloads.uol.com.br/linux/index.html (in portuguese, use google translator Razz)
Post 11 May 2006, 18:16
OzzY

OzzY
Decard: I think I'll try Puppy Linux... how does it work?
Post 11 May 2006, 18:21
vbVeryBeginner

vbVeryBeginner
decard wrote:
(currently I don't have enough money to buy 64-bit WinXP).

hi decard, mr.bill got a present for you Wink
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/facts/trial.mspx
Post 11 May 2006, 19:35
silkodyssey

silkodyssey
I've tried a lot of different distributions and Gentoo is the only one I have been satisfied with over an extended period of time. It was the hardest to install and to set up how i wanted but after that was finished I've not had any serious problems. The minor issues I have experienced where easily fixed doing a search on the gentoo forum.

Post 11 May 2006, 20:05
OzzY

OzzY
Right now I'm typing from brazilian Linux distro: Kurumin 6.0!!!
I like it! It runned out of the box! Internet configuration was easier than in windows! I have gcc and other programming stuff!!
Very Happy
Post 12 May 2006, 01:31
OzzY

OzzY
I'm downloading Puppy Linux right now.
It looks very tiny.
What are the features and downsides of it?
Does it can read/write on a NTFS drive?
Is it possible to remove the CD from drive after booting, so the CD-ROM drive will be free?

Thanks!
Post 13 May 2006, 22:32
silkodyssey

silkodyssey
Quote:

Is it possible to remove the CD from drive after booting, so the CD-ROM drive will be free?

According to the website you should be able to.

Quote:

Mission Statement

* Puppy will easily install to USB, Zip or hard drive media.
* Booting from CD, Puppy will load totally into RAM so that the CD drive is then free for other purposes.
* Booting from CD, Puppy can save everything back to the CD, no need for a hard drive.
* Booting from USB, Puppy will greatly minimise writes, to extend the life of Flash devices indefinitely.
* Puppy will be extremely friendly for Linux newbies.
* Puppy will boot up and run extraordinarily fast.
* Puppy will have all the applications needed for daily use.
* Puppy will just work, no hassles.
* Puppy will breathe new life into old PCs

Post 14 May 2006, 00:31
OzzY

OzzY
I tried Puppy Linux, and really liked it!!
It's the best light-weight and fast OS I've ever seen!
And I even have my CD-ROM free!

The only problem i had was setting up internet.
Could someone help me?
Right now I'm typing from Kurumin, a brazilian Live CD Linux distro similar to Puppy. It's available in portuguese or english.
With Kurumin I had no problems to setup my ADSL internet connection.
But I tried it on Puppy, and couldn't setup. Sad
I really liked Puppy, because it's fast and light. But I need internet.
I'm trying to find a small and fast OS, that boots from CD (like Puppy) and is suitable for using internet, playing music and do programming.
It seems Puppy is just perfect, but I need to setup internet, and don't know how.

Any helps are welcome.
Also sugestions on other OS that fits my needs.

Thanks everybody!
Hopefully, soon I'll starting coding with FASM on Linux!
Post 14 May 2006, 01:32
OzzY

OzzY
Please help me setup adsl on Puppy Linux!
Post 14 May 2006, 16:21
f0dder

f0dder
If I wanted a windows replacement, I'd probably go for Ubuntu - it's growing fast, has decent hardware support (even if I needed hand-editing of xorg.conf to get dual-monitor working), binary package system (no waiting for endless source compilation that doesn't even give noticable speed boost), etc.

For server use, Archlinux is pretty nifty... it's as no-nonsense as slack, but has good a binary package system - which can also do source builds, if you find something not in the repository. My only gripe with Arch is that it's small, so there's no saying if it'll still be here in a couple of years.

Gentoo... nice with all the control, but IMHO too much waste of time and bother doing everything from source. In theory it's nice getting everything compiled for your exact architecture, in practice you don't get much benefit from it.
Post 14 May 2006, 18:33
pelaillo
Missing in inaction

pelaillo
OzzY wrote:
Please help me setup adsl on Puppy Linux!

OzzY, what kind of card do you have? What is the result of DHCP?

OzzY wrote:
Does it can read/write on a NTFS drive?

Yes, it does. I haven't had any problems so far (using Puppy2, but it should do it with puppy 1.08 ).
Post 15 May 2006, 13:29
OzzY

OzzY
I'm actually using a PPPoe connection, using SpeedStream Modem with no router (not on USB).
When I tried the auto-DHCP it doesn't answer.

About the NTFS: Do I have to mount the hard drive or something?

Wow... looking at Puppy2, it looks great! I didn't know that this version existed: http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Puppy2

What's the easiest, light and small, Live CD distro with easy internet configuration and good for programming and listening music?
I just need this for my everyday work. Very Happy

Has anyone tried Slax? http://slax.linux-live.org/?lang=en
Post 15 May 2006, 14:09

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: