flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > Disk Image

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
THEWizardGenius

THEWizardGenius
Does anyone know of a good free disk imaging program. I just need to make images of 1.44 MB floppies, for Bochs, so I can test my operating system and other operating systems I have (like MenuetOS). Is there a good free program to do this? Thanks!

Some ants toot!
It's over!
Post 08 Aug 2005, 22:08
crc

crc
What OS are you using? Under Linux, I use "dd" to create 1.44MB disk images.
Post 08 Aug 2005, 22:39
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
THEWizardGenius

THEWizardGenius
Oh Embarassed sorry! It's Windows 95, which means that I could use a DOS tool by rebooting in DOS, if that's all there is. I tried Partcopy (by John S. Fine) but I don't know the exact number of bytes on a 1.44M floppy in hexadecimal, let alone in decimal! It would be nice if there were a program specifically for this purpose, like click a button "Make Image of 1.44M floppy" Laughing

Some ants toot!
It's over!
Post 08 Aug 2005, 22:42
crc

crc
1474560 bytes (decimal) or $168000 (hex) is the number of bytes in a 1.44MB floppy.
Post 08 Aug 2005, 23:06
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
THEWizardGenius

THEWizardGenius
Thanks!
Post 09 Aug 2005, 01:58
crc

crc
One more thing: http://slackware.osuosl.org/slackware_source/rootdisks/rawritewin/

This may not work on Win95, but if it does you'll have a nice GUI way to make and write floppy images.
Post 09 Aug 2005, 02:13
shoorick

shoorick
i know not bad program to do this - fasm Very Happy

===========

i see assymmetric download Very Happy
they have same code - a simpliest boot sector, but in boot1 it is written directly to floppy using debug.exe from OS, in boot it is padded with zeroes to the valid 1.44 size could be run under pc emulator (i'd tested it under qemu)

Description:
Download
Filename: boot1.zip
Filesize: 1.26 KB
Downloaded: 359 Time(s)

Description:
Download
Filename: BOOT.ZIP
Filesize: 7.98 KB
Downloaded: 344 Time(s)

Last edited by shoorick on 10 Aug 2005, 05:25; edited 1 time in total
Post 09 Aug 2005, 05:15
Matrix

Matrix
hi,
some years ago i wrote such program in pascal,

pm if interested.
but im sure you can find many Smile

hm btw, under w98 se and w98 it works to use bios interrupts to read write sectors, even on drive c!
Post 09 Aug 2005, 16:54
THEWizardGenius

THEWizardGenius
Yes, and in Windows 95 (I ruined my hard drive by writing to the boot sig, then fixed using a bootable floppy!)
Post 09 Aug 2005, 17:26
THEWizardGenius

THEWizardGenius
Thanks. I have used rawwritewin before, but forgot about it. Unfortunately, when I start it in Windows 95, nothing happens. Pressing CTRL-ALT-DELETE, it wasn't even there. Yet I received no error messages. Too bad, for rawwritewin is a great program, perfect for what I need it for.

I have been able to use PARTCOPY to create disk images, since crc gave me the correct number. I created a simple batch file so I don't have to open a commandline and type this in (I'm using Windows):

partcopy -f0 0 168000 fd0.img

Works as intended. Problem is, if the floppy disk happens to have errors, it fails. Most of the time, the important files aren't in that area of the disk anyways, so I would prefer it just put NULL whereever it is unable to read the disk, and keep reading the disk. Otherwise, I have to null-extend the length of the disk image myself (and who knows, I may not be doing it right). Bochs requires a 1.44M floppy disk image to be exactly 1.44M - no less than that, or it closes with an error. I wish there were a program that made disk images and wrote parts that have errors as 00h. Problem is, I don't know how to do file access in DOS (though I can do low-level disk access easily, with INT 13h).

Anyways, thanks all for your solutions. I'll use PartCopy as that is the easiest solution, and I can do batch files with it. I might make a program to extend with NULLs the length of a binary file (such as a disk image) so the file can be used in Bochs. I will, of course, make that program in an HLL.

Some ants toot!
It's over!
Post 09 Aug 2005, 19:08
donkey7

donkey7
Post 11 Aug 2005, 09:31
Matrix

Matrix
if you want to make direct disk write, to floppy, or small hdd (no partitions supported, only raw disk, no image compression yet, no LBA! <8GB!)

you can use my program to read write images, it was written in pascal long time ago, ill update it if i have time on it.

i give it free.

it was tested under dos 622 and win 98 win98se,
note that windows does not automatically mount drives,
you need to re insert floppy,
and reboot in case of hdd write,
you can write 800MB c: too from image file from other drive, but you must hit reset after completed or your fat will be corrupted (it is cached under windows)

Description: BZIMGS3 - raw image writer, simple but useful
A5E891392D339F3C72899E29786FBF9E BZIMGS3.EXE

Download
Filename: BZIMGS3.ZIP
Filesize: 17.09 KB
Downloaded: 316 Time(s)

Post 11 Aug 2005, 18:26

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: