flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > My computer died... :(

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
DataHunter2009

DataHunter2009
*sigh* my first assembly blunder... Very tragic... I should have read the warnings.

Anyways, i had put my operating system (or most of it) on a floppy and popped it in my testbed pc... I switched it on and up came the gateway loading screen... I sat and sat and sat. But a split second before it went away I cried "Oh no!" becuase I had just remembered I never put the bootloader on the floppy... and as soon as I said it, my floppy drive (or possibly my power supply) exploded.

So now, my room smells like smoke and I have a fried computer... has this ever happened to anyone else while working on their operating system? Or am I just a total idiot? Razz
Post 06 Aug 2005, 19:07
Tomasz Grysztar

Tomasz Grysztar
Once in a DOS days I have not balanced the stack properly and returned to a wrong address - very wrong address, since in some way it had managed to clear my Flash BIOS (what were the odds of this?). However what happened to you is beyond all my experience (though I heard of many possible cases of damaging the older hardwares by the software, like burning the monitors by wrong refresh rates or playing the requiem melody with the heads of floppy drive).
Post 06 Aug 2005, 22:42
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
comrade

comrade
What? How did your computer explode?
Post 07 Aug 2005, 02:15
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
DC740

DC740
Shocked really is that posible? you can ruin hardware using software?... (very funny about the requiem, i want to learn how to do that Razz )... what did you do, what kind of hardware? is posible to repeat the situation? can i burn my enemies computer with a simple program???!!! Twisted Evil hehe just a joke, but really i want to know about what happened
Post 07 Aug 2005, 02:48
bogdanontanu

bogdanontanu
As always he is joking... in a deviouse way Razz
Post 07 Aug 2005, 06:21
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
madmatt

madmatt
Well, my really dumb Embarassed moment was a year and a half ago when I decided I wanted to flash a bios upgrade to my computer, well guess what, wrong bios for my computer!!! I sat there looking at a black screen for a while before I finally had to face the truth, computer bios trashed Exclamation, but no smoke nore "fireworks". My only guess as to what happened is that somehow you changed a bios setting for cpu speed to a very high level, or just an amazing coincidence Shocked .
Post 07 Aug 2005, 06:49
Matrix

Matrix
If you have trashed your bios then your computer is not dead yet, it is possible to put your bios into another computer and flash it again with other bios, but you need the compatible software to put in.
additionally, you can flash bios with external flasher too.
Post 07 Aug 2005, 13:12
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
i've heard about blowing out monitor by setting screen to 1x1 pixel, whoch caused CRT was firing electrons always to same spot which, after some time, burned through screen. Or another thing with old disks that needed to "park heads" (i am not sure how this is called in english) messed the disk if you tried some operation during parking.
There's a nice quote about it: Every piece of hardware that can be damaged by software deserves it!
Post 07 Aug 2005, 17:57
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
Matrix

Matrix
vid wrote:
There's a nice quote about it: Every piece of hardware that can be damaged by software deserves it!

well i think this is not fair if you dont limit to standard pc interfaces.
just imagine a high powered laser designed to rotate and move around a workspace like an electronic arm, and cut, drill things.
lets say if you write a software on it and aim on the computer that is operating it, and turn on the laser beam, then it whould probably cause damage.

or you might burn yourself too.
if you wrote the software and lets say you are part of the hardware, then this means you deserve it?
Post 07 Aug 2005, 19:16
smiddy

smiddy
Matrix wrote:
vid wrote:

well i think this is not fair if you dont limit to standard pc interfaces.
just imagine a high powered laser designed to rotate and move around a workspace like an electronic arm, and cut, drill things.
lets say if you write a software on it and aim on the computer that is operating it, and turn on the laser beam, then it whould probably cause damage.

or you might burn yourself too.
if you wrote the software and lets say you are part of the hardware, then this means you deserve it?

There is a lot of testing for most places that deal with DANGEROUS material that can be potentially life threatening, where mockups are used prior to functional qualification testing. A laser would be one of those types of applications where testing is done in the lab, without harmful emplements attached. A hardware in the loop type of thing...
Post 07 Aug 2005, 21:36
DataHunter2009

DataHunter2009
Quote:
What? How did your computer explode?

I had just written my newly created kernel to the floppy, but I was in such a hurry that I forgot to rewrite the bootloader... stupid me. Anyway, I popped it in and the gateway screen came up and then I remembered what I... er... forgot. And then there was a sizzling noise and smoke wafted out of the floppy drive. Razz
Post 07 Aug 2005, 21:41
comrade

comrade
how is that possible?
Post 08 Aug 2005, 00:26
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
madmatt

madmatt
Matrix: I've already gutted the old computer and put half the stuff into my new computer, harddrive, extra cd-rom, etc.. I plan on getting a new mother board and put the processor into it, and start from scratch.
Post 08 Aug 2005, 06:28
THEWizardGenius

THEWizardGenius
If you put the cable on the floppy drive upside down, you have, er, problems... Friday I murdered my OS, then fixed it:

I was trying to write a bootloader to my floppy, but it wasn't working. Using a disk editor for DOS, I noticed that the last two bytes weren't 55AAh. I failed to notice two things: (a)The disk editor only displayed half a sector (256 bytes) at a time, and (b)It was my hard disk it was showing, not the floppy.

So I try writing 55h to byte #511 (forgetting that it's actually 510 I needed to write to, and 511 for AAh, since the first byte is 0). And So now the signature is 5555h. But I didn't know this. I typed the command to write to the disk, typed "y" to verify it, and then realized my mistake. But I still didn't know that I was only looking at the lower half of the sector. When I realized I had written to the hard disk, I put the disk editor and MS-DOS system files on a floppy and rebooted. Sure enough, it didn't boot. So I booted from the floppy and used the disk editor to look around... and found the problem. Lucky for me, I know plenty about the booting process, so I knew what to do. Of course, if I weren't doing OS dev I wouldn't have messed up in the first place!
Post 08 Aug 2005, 21:01
proveren

proveren
Software can ruin hardware indeed.
I once read a post in a forum where a guy tried out a program that claimed to overclock CPUs through Windows XP. His motherboard got broken as a result of attempting to overclock his AMD Thotoughbred Sad . Later, it was discovered that this program did nothing more than cheat Windows through some registry entries.
Post 09 Aug 2005, 18:46
vbVeryBeginner

vbVeryBeginner
hi datehunter,
i would suggest you to test your OS inside a virtual pc first before putting it into the real pc Smile

vmware is nice (i use it), bochs is free, virtual pc is free 45 days too (but 45 days doesn't exists in asm Very Happy)

Microsoft Virtual PC 2004
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=360cafd6-5098-4c64-9ca7-a30f225859f6&DisplayLang=en

Bochs32
http://bochs.sourceforge.net/getcurrent.html

VMware workstation 5
[url]pm me[/url]
Post 20 Aug 2005, 02:13

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: