flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > Missing system32.dll?!

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
THEWizardGenius

THEWizardGenius
I tried putting Bochs 2.2.1 on my old 486 with Windows 95. It says it requires system32.dll (or at least a different version from what it has). So I searched the school computers (with Windows XP Pro) for it (enabling "searching for hidden system files", of course). Nothing came up. I turned off "Hide System Files" and manually checked the windows system directories. Nothing. Does Windows XP not have this file at all, or what? This is puzzling. Does someone know, and can someone post a system32.dll (preferably one which has been tested and works with Bochs). I will virus scan, so it better be genuine Wink

Some ants toot!
It's over!
Post 03 Aug 2005, 03:56
f0dder

f0dder
The default untweaked XP search dialog sucks, you'll have to enable some of the "advanced" settings to search hidden/system files. Also, copying a DLL from NT to 9x plainly won't work, for a bunch of reasons.

Running bochs on 95... masochist Wink
Post 03 Aug 2005, 07:11
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
decard

decard
Quote:

Running bochs on 95... masochist :Wink:

Why? Two years ago I was using Bochs on my old P233MMX with Win95 (or 98, I can't remember), and it ran fine.
Post 03 Aug 2005, 12:44
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
vbVeryBeginner

vbVeryBeginner
maybe the boch requires some function which is not available in your current system32.dll(win95) file. you can't just replace the system32.dll (let say winxp version) into ur win95 box, because maybe some of the function inside the system32.dll requires another newer function in another dll.

and let say u updated all the dll. (that would be time consuming and i think not practical) so, the best way is to format your drive and install the OS that which is compatible to run bochs :p

or try to get older bochs version, it should be compatible.
Post 03 Aug 2005, 15:20
THEWizardGenius

THEWizardGenius
Well I can't update the system32.dll that's on my computer but can't I put the newer one in the same directory with Bochs? But I just discovered it's kernel32.dll, not system32.dll. So I'll try that.
edit:The exact same error message came up. I tried copying to my system directory and of course it failed (I made a backup of the old one first Smile )
I guess this is what is known as "DLL Hell".

Yes, it is a function that seems to be missing from kernel32.dll. I don't know what's wrong, I was just hoping someone would know what to do. I did manage to get a diff. DLL from NT to 95 with little effort...

Here's the error message that comes up, in case someone knows what's wrong: The BOCHS.EXE file is linked to the missing export KERNEL32.DLL:GetDiskFreeSpaceExA.

This is odd, because the name of the function sounds like a pretty basic function, I would think every version of windows would have that function...

Anyways, I haven't got any other PCs although I'm planning to buy one in a month or two, so it has to be this one. And there is no better OS that will go on a 486, 16MB memory, floppy only (no CD-ROM), 300MB hard drive with 15MB left... you get the idea.
Post 03 Aug 2005, 19:18
THEWizardGenius

THEWizardGenius
I have restored the old kernel32.dll and windows does not boot. So I deleted all copies of the newer one. Luckily it booted fine. Whew! I wish Windows did dynamic libraries the way linux did...

edit: I decided to try using the installer .EXE instead of the ZIP. Still no luck, so I guess I give up on Bochs 2.2.1 until I get my next computer (which is months away)... unless someone knows what to do. Somehow I can't imagine an older version of Bochs being any different, but I'll try. Maybe...

edit: I tried 2.0.1. This time it had a DIFFERENT error message- one we see all too frequently: The program has performed an illegal operation... This happened while testing dlx linux, but it worked fine when I opened it by itself. I guess I'll try testing an entry from last years 512b OS entry Smile hope it works...
Post 03 Aug 2005, 19:33
THEWizardGenius

THEWizardGenius
Woohoo! Slow, but I booted 256b (the dubug-like OS)!
Post 03 Aug 2005, 20:15

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: