flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > Esoteric Programming

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Jaques

Jaques
Esoteric programming (programming langauges containing unconventional structures) has become a feild I have gained much interested in. I tend towards the more comlicated or harder to program in. Brainf**k and Malbolge are some of the more interesting examples. One of the most important characteristics of a Esoteric langauge is the question of turing-completeness. Things with not having of turing completeness tend to be out fashion, but those with it in question are of the most interest. So i began to wonder.

If you have constants and three variables i, p,and v
//i is the adress of the current instruction initialized to zero
//p is the current data being pointed to initialized to zero
//v is the value at p
and you have a memory space into which instructions are loaded into the front end, all else being set to the value of zero. if all operations consist of two operands a and b and there is one thus redundant and assumed operator that performs the operation:

mov a, b

and a can be one of the variables, and b can be a numerical constant or one of the variables, and is stored in memory as such
cell i = a, cell i+1 = b
and i is incremented twice, then is this turing complete

Post 16 Jul 2005, 02:35
THEWizardGenius

THEWizardGenius
BrainF*** is one of my favorite languages. It is minimalistic, but not too strange. Malbolge is really strange, as even it's creator was unable to write a program in Malbolge. I like SNUSP, which is a bit like BrainF*** except that programs are two-dimensional. There are other 2d languages including Befunge, on which SNUSP is partially based. My OS, JOS1, will probably come with a BrainF*** interpreter, compiler, etc.

I also enjoy the joke languages (I have written various interpreters, compilers, and utilities for them) such as Ook Ook, MOO, F***F***, HQ9+ and HQ9++, Hello, and others. I also created a couple of my own joke languages:
-cat (in which each character is a command that prints itself, for example the cat program
Code:
Hello, World!

prints "Hello, World!" on the screen.)
And
-NOOP (in which every command is a no-operation command, i.e., a NOOP program does ABSOLUTELY NOTHING).

Most esoteric languages are actually useful, though a few (like the joke languages mentioned above) are useless for most applications.
A more famous language, INTERCAL, is actually more High Level- but weird.

FORTH, though some might disagree with me, is a fairly high level esoteric language. It is low-level, like assembly, but has some high-level features. It uses stack-based memory instead of normal memory (though a random-access data area is also provided).
Post 25 Jul 2005, 20:19

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: