flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > Blender 3d

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
THEWizardGenius

THEWizardGenius
After doing som extensive research, I have decided that blender is probably the best free 3d modeling and animation program. Has anyone used blender, or does anyone use blender? I know the interface is complex, but everything I've seen that was made in blender looks great!

Some ants toot!
It's over!
Post 01 Jul 2005, 18:19
Tommy

Tommy
I have and am still using it... It's great! U need some time to get into the user interface, but when you first learn it, u get quite effective! You better give it a try... Smile
Post 01 Jul 2005, 18:30
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
THEWizardGenius

THEWizardGenius
I'm planning to... I haven't seen any better free 3d programs yet, and even some commercial programs didn't look as good as blender. The images created with blender look photorealistic (except those that are intentionally cartoons, of course). Once I get a computer worth using (I don't even want to think about what it would be like on my 486 that I am currently using) that's what I'll be using. Of course, there are many other useful programs- I have actually made a list of all the useful freeware programs that are for 3d modeling, animation, rendering (YafRay and VirtuaLight I might use, although blender has a built-in raytracer), and photo editing (for example the GIMP). But blender is very complete, so I won't need a lot of other programs.
Post 01 Jul 2005, 18:39
Tommy

Tommy
I'm using Blender and YafRay... They co-operate quite well... Another good thing with Blender is that it is platform-independent (run on severals platforms), and it's possible to use Blender on slower machines as well - after what I've tested...

The only other tool I'm using for graphics is GIMP, and I'm doing fine.. Wink
Post 01 Jul 2005, 19:04
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
veach1

veach1
Quote:
...and even some commercial programs didn't look as good as blender. The images created with blender look photorealistic...

I`m going to disappoint you.
Doesn`t matter what software you`re using, the only thing matters is your skill level. True professionalist even doesn`t care about software.

I`ve tried blendef and fount it complex, not intuitively understandable.

I`m using LightWave3d, version 5.6 suits on 3.5'' diskette, runs fast on 486 and the most important thing for me - it`s something like 3d asm.
Post 04 Jul 2005, 06:56
THEWizardGenius

THEWizardGenius
Is lightwave free? I think Blender is the best of the free programs, because I've seen what can be done with it. Even the most skilled modelers probably can't do much with, many of the free programs I've seen and used. Blender may be complex, but from what I've seen and read it's the most complete program ever. I'm not talking about quality, I'm talking about tools. Plus, blender is well known and has a huge user base, and lots of tutorials online, so if you really try you can learn it.

I've never tried blender, but I've seen what it can do, and it looks good... unlike a lot of other free or commercial programs. And all programs take some time to learn.
Post 05 Jul 2005, 22:31
veach1

veach1
I`ve tried 3dmax, maya, LightWave. LW for me is simplest to learn and easiest to use.

Moreover, no one program has "make it nice" button Smile

For learning process and for creating pleasure you can find it for free through emule, kazaa, of similar.
I`ve got version 5.6 from some chinese ftp, I was in search for about 2 days. I`m not gaining any profit of my renders, so nothing to worry about.

http://personal.southern.edu/~dascott/lwhistory/
Post 06 Jul 2005, 07:07
THEWizardGenius

THEWizardGenius
Quote:

Moreover, no one program has "make it nice" button

lol Very Happy
I know that. All I'm saying is blender has all the features I want, and I'm not seeing those features in LightWave (not that they aren't there). I also prefer free, and without breaking the law (even though I won't be doing commercial work), and things made in blender do look good. I am not saying blender is better than any other, I am only saying I like it better, even if it does take more time to learn. And I learn quickly, so I'm not too worried about that either.
Post 06 Jul 2005, 23:12
proveren

proveren
Blender has everything I need, and I need much!
- skeletal animation
- IPO curves editing to create curve - like movement
- vertex painting - looks retro but I love it Laughing
- easy vertex and face creation (I came from Milkshape, by the way face creation is easier than in milkshape, because a face always "faces" you, whereas in milkshape you have to watch whether you select vertices clockwise or not)
- lots of hotkey commands for fast usage

It also has many other things that initially I didn't want, but made my life easier. Personally, money not being and issue, I prefer blender over max because blender has a cleaner interface and is more logically structured.

I don't know if you had read the documentation, but some years ago, the developers of blender had to collect 100 000 euros to get blender's rights and release it under GPL. They got the money in several weeks!

[EDIT] And yes, I use Blender under Linux with no hw graphic acceleration. The funny thing is that the blender static Linux version runs much worse than the normal version (which assumes I have hw acceleration).
Post 14 Aug 2005, 14:59
bogdanontanu

bogdanontanu
Belnder GUI has seriouse problems with non-opengl video cards...
on older video cards in laptops or older ATI video cards Very Happy

Blender user interface is the most stupid and non-intuitive I have ever found but doh they consider it "revolutionary" Razz ...

Besides above problems Blender is the best freeware modeler/ renederer available

The next good choice is Anim8or at least for modeling that is.

Last edited by bogdanontanu on 16 Aug 2005, 17:23; edited 1 time in total
Post 14 Aug 2005, 18:34
THEWizardGenius

THEWizardGenius
Anim8or is pretty good, I've used it before. However, I consider blender "the next step up".
Post 14 Aug 2005, 20:28
Eoin

Eoin
Is everyone forgetting about about POV-Ray? Very Happy
Post 14 Aug 2005, 23:26
proveren

proveren
Yes, blender's interface is very un-intuitive. The idea was to release the software for free and make money from selling manuals Smile. However, its easy and fast once you get to know it and learn all short keys. Also, there are many free online tutorials.
Post 16 Aug 2005, 10:43
bogdanontanu

bogdanontanu
Nope I never forget POV-Ray.. That is what I use most...
After all it is "programming" GFX Wink
Post 16 Aug 2005, 11:51
f0dder

f0dder
Blender even has problems with more recent ATi cards, like a r9600xt... appearantly, some of the ATi drivers don't have full hardware paths for some of the functionality blender requires... *b00m*, 1fps performance or less.
Post 16 Aug 2005, 14:51

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: