flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

flat assembler > Linux > instalation from hard disk

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Octavio



Joined: 21 Jun 2003
Posts: 366
Location: Spain
Hello , i want to install linux but i don´t have a cd burner, how can i install
it using only the hard disk and floppies?
I want to use only a existent fat32 partition because i have other OS that can use this partition, and also if its possible to use a small linux distro that runs faster on a old computer, mainly i want to use linux to browse the internet. (i don´t like the blueflops)
Post 19 May 2005, 12:00
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
pelaillo
Missing in inaction


Joined: 19 Jun 2003
Posts: 874
Location: Colombia
Try Mulinux, it can be installed from hd easily.
Currently I have Mulinux running a 386DX. (I have no CD nor floppy, but it is easier to install with a floppy drive)

http://mulinux.sunsite.dk/
Post 19 May 2005, 12:41
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote
Octavio



Joined: 21 Jun 2003
Posts: 366
Location: Spain
pelaillo wrote:
Try Mulinux, it can be installed from hd easily.
Currently I have Mulinux running a 386DX. (I have no CD nor floppy, but it is easier to install with a floppy drive)

http://mulinux.sunsite.dk/

It seems that lilo has no suport for fat filesystems Shocked
my computer is not so old,is a pIII 930 Mhz 256MB its enought for a more recent version with gui that should be easy to use, but the latest versions of linux are too slow, i´m thinking on buy a dvd recorder to solve this problem..
Post 22 May 2005, 07:02
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
crc



Joined: 21 Jun 2003
Posts: 637
Location: Penndel, PA [USA]
Quote:
It seems that lilo has no suport for fat filesystems


LILO doesn't support *any* filesystems. It stores the actual sequence of sectors that the kernel is at in the MBR.
Post 22 May 2005, 18:32
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
pelaillo
Missing in inaction


Joined: 19 Jun 2003
Posts: 874
Location: Colombia
The problem is during installation because the fat32 module isn't loaded by default. After installation it's OK.

If you have broadband I suggest you to install gentoo instead. You will obtain the fastest linux possible for your machine.
Post 23 May 2005, 13:06
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote
Octavio



Joined: 21 Jun 2003
Posts: 366
Location: Spain
Quote:
The problem is during installation because the fat32 module isn't loaded by default. After installation it's OK..

Yes but then i have to create 2 new partitions ,one for swap and another
for linux filesystem (no fat). but i would like to use only one fat32 partition.

Quote:

If you have broadband I suggest you to install gentoo instead. You will obtain the fastest linux possible for your machine.

I don´t have broadband but i can buy the cd on a library.
Linux is the only alternative to windows but i didn´t like any of the versions i have tested since now ,the last was Catix, after one hour of installation process, i reboot the computer just to discover that anything was installed on the hard disk.
Post 25 May 2005, 11:51
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
pelaillo
Missing in inaction


Joined: 19 Jun 2003
Posts: 874
Location: Colombia
Quote:

Yes but then i have to create 2 new partitions ,one for swap and another
for linux filesystem (no fat). but i would like to use only one fat32 partition.

No, mulinux lives in a fat32 partition, under a directory and even the swap is a file in a subdirectory. Then, you can launch it directly from DOS (loadlin).

Quote:

I don´t have broadband but i can buy the cd on a library.

Gentoo isn't an option without a broadband. If you want a really easy and failproof installation from CD, try Knoppix.
Post 25 May 2005, 14:56
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote
Another Stupid Coder



Joined: 24 May 2005
Posts: 5
Location: Vienna, Austria, Europe
If you can buy cds, maybe debian is what you want Smile

_________________
terribly bad english speaker.
Post 26 Jun 2005, 14:58
View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number Reply with quote
crc



Joined: 21 Jun 2003
Posts: 637
Location: Penndel, PA [USA]
Quote:
Linux is the only alternative to windows but i didn´t like any of the versions i have tested since now ,the last was Catix, after one hour of installation process, i reboot the computer just to discover that anything was installed on the hard disk.


Not true. There's also the BSD systems (FreeBSD, NetBSD, and OpenBSD), BeOS (the personal edition is free, and the Haiku project is getting close to having an open-source clone fully operational), and Syllable.
Post 26 Jun 2005, 16:35
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Octavio



Joined: 21 Jun 2003
Posts: 366
Location: Spain
Finally i have installed suse ,but there are two strange problems:
first i have to unplug and plug the computer before i boot linux, but this affects also to other distros that i have tested,perhaps is a hardware problem.
second i have a fat32 lba partition type 0ch created with a program written by me, windows chkdsk program don´t see any error on this partition, but linux can´t mount it. I searched the sources, but it seems that this installation disk has no sources, in older versions the sources were included , and also many more applications.
I thing that the problem could be that this fat partition starts on sector 18 instead of 63 and has 4 reserved sectors instead of 34.
Post 28 Jun 2005, 12:19
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:
Post new topic Reply to topic

Jump to:  


< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules:
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Copyright © 1999-2019, Tomasz Grysztar.

Powered by rwasa.