flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > Assembly programmer and jobs

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
OzzY

OzzY
I was thinking... how an assembly programmer is seem on jobs?
Is asm programming a BIG PLUS on person's curriculum?
What advantages an asm programmer takes over normal HLL people?

It's because programming is a hobby for me. I can program on lots of languages like C/C++, Pascal/Delphi, VB, asm (DOS and Win32), and I prefer C and ASM Laughing.... But now I just entered on computer science school and I'm going to study for it... also I'll try to get some job on some company as a programmer (cause I love it and it's my goal: become a good programmer and make my clients happy). So I'd like to see some opinions, how are you people who work with assembly on jobs? Is asm really a great advantage over HLL-only people?
People usually say Delphi programmers are what companies want... But I don't think so, I think low-level-people have a better understanding on what programming really is...
what do you think?

I hope you understand me....
Thanks!
Sorry for my bad english!
Portuguese is my native language (I'm brasilian) Very Happy
Post 12 Apr 2005, 00:57
Opcode

Opcode
Hi OzzY

I'm brazilian too Wink
I started to program in assembly 6 years ago.
But I can tell you that in Brazil assembly language
doesn't makes difference in the curriculum.
Here, what makes difference is like you wrote: Delphi and Java.

But I don't care.
I like assembly and I always will wrote programs in assembly.

IMO, learn HLL to get money.
And learm asm to have FUN! Very Happy

Regards,
Opcode
Post 12 Apr 2005, 02:40
vbVeryBeginner

vbVeryBeginner
em... my 2 cents ;p
if your boss is that the who want "FAST" result, then you use VB and others RAD to make him happy.

if your boss is the type who demand "QUALITY", then you use C / C++ or ... to make him happy.

if your boss is a programmer , then you use ASM to amaze him :p

well, all depend on what type is your boss.

well, come on, we are not programming for money. we are learning, and ASM seems nice to be inside our head Smile
Post 12 Apr 2005, 09:23
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
In our country they consiuder you some kind of freak if you code assembly. (Not everyone but bosses for sure)

And nobody wants quality, everybody wants just profit and assembly is not for that
Post 12 Apr 2005, 12:29
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
smiddy

smiddy
vid wrote:
In our country they consiuder you some kind of freak if you code assembly. (Not everyone but bosses for sure)

And nobody wants quality, everybody wants just profit and assembly is not for that

I suspect you're right there. Programmers are not the one's running the show either. It is usually some program manager with an itch to fill and not a quality product to produce. Speed to market is what is getting the cash, not the quality of the workmanship, as it should. Workmanship only wins out when it is admired over a period of time. It is a funny world.
Post 12 Apr 2005, 16:03
pelaillo
Missing in inaction

pelaillo
Assembly way of think will lead in better quality of your code written in HLLs. So it is always useful to learn and excercise it.

It's my belief that the productivity does not depend on assembly but instead in the availability of tools and libraries. And in the fact that assembly programmers keep reinventing the wheel as a de facto standard Wink
Post 13 Apr 2005, 12:36
veach1

veach1
I agree with smiddy.
Bosses and managers (mostly managers) in companies doesn`t want to mess with something that they don`t undesrtand, even if it is better. They need fast profit, nothing more. As for bosses - most of them even doesn`t know the differences between C and C++ or VBS and JS and so on, and they don`t care about your preferences in the way of coding, you MUST make money for them faster than it is possible!

I see the only real work for asm coder: write programs for microcontrollers and so of that kind. Or to work in small companies (without manager!) with good boss who lets programmser to choose tool himself.
Post 14 Apr 2005, 06:51
MCD

MCD
veach1 wrote:
I agree with smiddy.
Bosses and managers (mostly managers) in companies doesn`t want to mess with something that they don`t undesrtand, even if it is better. They need fast profit, nothing more. As for bosses - most of them even doesn`t know the differences between C and C++ or VBS and JS and so on, and they don`t care about your preferences in the way of coding, you MUST make money for them faster than it is possible!

I see the only real work for asm coder: write programs for microcontrollers and so of that kind. Or to work in small companies (without manager!) with good boss who lets programmser to choose tool himself.
That's also my point of view! But I just recently figured out that there are some special tasks, which are difficult to achieve with even the best C/C++ coders and compilers, this is very fast code, as it is sometimes needed. Just think of audio/video codecs and manipulating, some software 3D renderer, abitrary precision libraries or execution time expansive simulations, all of those can be done with C/C++ and even Delphi/PASCAL, but in the long term development, assembly optimizations here may really pay out.
Post 14 Apr 2005, 08:04
Dex4u

Dex4u
Asm programming will be very usefull skill in geting a job at a BIOS maker or a anti-virus ware co.
This is a quote from a BIOS maker why they need a new language for BIOS
Quote:
The speed of any transition should have a lot to do with how quickly EFI is adopted as a standard. Over time, Intel believes, EFI will be broadly adopted because of its potential benefits and also because of a shortage of skilled BIOS software engineers, Richmond said.

full article here:
http://news.com.com/Writing+an+end+to+the+bio+of+BIOS/2100-7337_3-5131787.html?tag=nl
Post 14 Apr 2005, 16:00
UCM

UCM
People will be more pleased with an antivirus(or other scanning program) written in optimized assembler since it will do it's job quicker.

Post 14 Apr 2005, 21:32
PopeInnocent

PopeInnocent
I use asssembly language in my job. My boss doesn't know the difference between assembler and PHP. He just wants computers to do a particular thing (or, more often, a general type of thing), and he couldn't care less how I do it as long as it works.

As for what I write: a master boot record for a factory restore system, and good old DOS utilities to make the system work. Most of the software is written in C, but interfacing with the BIOS just works better in assembly language.

On the choice of tools: I use the highest-level tool that will do the job. 90% of the functionality is in batch files. Another 9% is in C. And a teeny tiny bit is in assembler. Chances are, the guy that replaces me if I ever leave won't know assembler, so it's a very good business decision to use as little as possible.
Post 15 Apr 2005, 04:05
UCM

UCM
Lol, i'm not very good at assembler, so i use PHP alot. really alot.
Post 15 Apr 2005, 22:30
THEWizardGenius

THEWizardGenius
In this country, all programmers fit into these categories:

(1)They think assembly isn't for real programmers.
(2)They don't know what assembly is.
(3)They have great respect for you, although they might not use assembly themselves.
(4)They use assembly themselves.
(5)They use FASM!!!

Some fit into more than one, for example if you fit into 5 you automatically fit into 4.
Post 23 Jun 2005, 02:14

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: