flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > VC++ ToolKit 2003

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
OzzY

OzzY
http://msdn.microsoft.com/visualc/vctoolkit2003/default.aspx
Anyone using it? Is it cool?
It's the VC++ compiler without the IDE.

I think I'll try it, but first I need to know if it really works!
Micro$oft is giving it as a free download.
Does it work?
Is it easy to code a function in FASM and link the obj to a program written in C using this compiler?

Sorry for my bad english.

Thanks!
Post 02 Apr 2005, 03:12
f0dder

f0dder
It works very well, and has full optimizing capabilities - it is *NOT* "braindamaged". Furthermore, the license is very "free", as opposed to, for instance, the MASM license. You can use the vctoolkit for commercial projects, and there's nothing that would stop you from using it for os-dev either.

Using FASM with this compiler is as easy as using ms coff output in fasm Smile
Post 02 Apr 2005, 09:49
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
vbVeryBeginner

vbVeryBeginner
they seem generous Smile
maybe bill gates realized that he can't take away all these when tsunami come Confused

http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/express/

Visual Studio 2005 Express Beta Products
Post 02 Apr 2005, 15:21
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
OzzY

OzzY
Does the Visual Studio 2005 Express Beta work well? (I know it comes with IDE)
Are both, VC++ ToolKit 2003 and VS 2005 Express Beta complete? I mean, they have everything needed for programming (like compiler, linnker,libs, includes...)?
What is better to download?

Sorry for my english.

Thanks!
Post 02 Apr 2005, 15:25
f0dder

f0dder
Both are complete, but as far as I know the beta will expire... for the vc2003 toolkit, you will need to get hold of the PlatformSDK as well, to get the necessary includes and libraries for win32 program development. But apart from that, it's complete - compiler, linker, librarian, and libc.
Post 02 Apr 2005, 15:43
vbVeryBeginner

vbVeryBeginner
the thing i don't like is, the 2005 studio required the .NET framework Sad
i have a little bit dislike on the .net framework Wink
Post 02 Apr 2005, 15:44
madmatt

madmatt
Hi everyone,
Glad this subject was brought up, I've already installed the VC++ toolkit, and have copied the win 2003 sdk library and include files into there proper folders. But I keep getting error messages concerning the windows functions, and example is below:

testw.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "int __stdcall EndPaint(struct HWND__ *,struct tagPAINTSTRUCT const *)" (?EndPaint@@$$J18YGHPAUHWND__@@PBU
    tagPAINTSTRUCT@@@Z)
Post 02 Apr 2005, 19:15
f0dder

f0dder
hmm, are you including the proper header files? It seems like the linker wants to import a C++ name-decorated function, and the WIN32 API functions don't have name decoration like that.
Post 02 Apr 2005, 20:43
OzzY

OzzY
Where can I download the PlatformSDK?
I've already downloaded the VC++ Toolkit 2003 and installed. But it doesn't have includes like windows.h, etc...
Post 02 Apr 2005, 21:43
f0dder

f0dder
http://www.google.dk/search?q=platform+sdk+full+download Smile (probably requires IE to download the stuff).
Post 02 Apr 2005, 22:29
rea

rea
No, is not required IE to download it...

Post 03 Apr 2005, 00:04
madmatt

madmatt
f0dder: I'm using the windows 2003 sdk headers, copy and pasted directly into the visual c++ toolkit include folder. Did the same for the libraries. do you have to manually link in the windows libraries \link option from the cl.exe compiler?
Post 03 Apr 2005, 00:17
madmatt

madmatt
I've managed to get it working by linking the libraries in directly, thanks anyways.
Matt
Post 03 Apr 2005, 00:38
vbVeryBeginner

vbVeryBeginner
hi, ozzy,
there are 2 edition of current windows 32 PSDK
one is PSDK for WinXP SP2
Quote:

Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 SDK
The Platform SDK – Windows XP Service Pack 2 contains the information you need to develop applications for Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2.

and another one is PSDK Windows Server 2003
Quote:

The applications you develop with this edition of the SDK can run on the Windows Server 2003, Windows XP, Windows 2000, Windows NT®, Windows Millennium Edition, Windows 98, and Windows 95.

i would suggest u to download the windows server 2003 SDK
Post 03 Apr 2005, 04:25
f0dder

f0dder
yeah madmatt, as you realized, you have to manually specify the import libraries on the commandline. I usually compile and link in two steps, first "cl.exe /c <other options>" to only compile, and then link.exe. If you don't want to specify the import libraries on the commandline, you can do something like this in your source files:

Code:
#pragma comment(linker, "/defaultlib:kernel32.lib")

Post 03 Apr 2005, 10:33
madmatt

madmatt
Well, I mainly use a small batch file and specify all my options in that.
Post 06 Apr 2005, 08:48
f0dder

f0dder
madmatt wrote:
Well, I mainly use a small batch file and specify all my options in that.

Same here, when working on small projects - otherwise I use the IDE.
Post 06 Apr 2005, 09:00
OzzY

OzzY
Hi! I don't want to download the Platform SDK cause it needs WinXP SP2, and mine is SP1, and I don't want to download SP2... can I use VC++ ToolKit 2003 with the libs and includes from VC++ 6.0? How to do it?
Note: The Pelles C package uses libs that are compatible with VC++, and the compiler and linker are very similar in sintax, maybe I could try to use Pelles C libs and include in VC++ toolkit 2003... o.O

And if I download VC++ 2005 beta 2 it will come with Platform SDK?

Thanks!
Post 10 Jun 2005, 15:10
f0dder

f0dder
Hrm, PSDK *requires* SP2? I thought it just had information for XP up to SP2... and why don't you want to upgrade to SP2 anyway, it's more stable?

You should be able to use vc2003 with the vc6 or pellesC libs, I guess - set up INCLUDE and LIB environment variable to point to the correct directories.
Post 10 Jun 2005, 15:16
OzzY

OzzY
It worked!!! Very Happy
I downloaded VC++ Toolkit 2003.
Installed it. I saw that lib and include paths were so empty, then I opened my VC++ 6.0 CD-ROM and copy and pasted it to the VC++ 2003 path.
Now it works well!
Very good compiler my minimal application with some nice "hackz" compiled to 620 bytes and it displays a MessageBox! Laughing
Now I'm using the great IDE Mingw VisualStudio (it's similar to VC++, but comes with mingw compiler and doesn't have the bloat of MFC, ATL and others that comes with MSVC++), and using VC++ Toolkit 2003 to build the final release to the app. Very nice IDE, and then I use a batch file to quickly build the exe using VC++ 2003! Very Happy

Hey! Check it out, very good IDE: http://www.parinyasoft.com/

Maybe Pelles C libs should work with VC++ 2003 too...

That's it![/url]
Post 10 Jun 2005, 19:27

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: