flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > All i need to do is format! Why won't it???

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
DragonFire

DragonFire
Hey. I just got a new computer (actually old, but i just recieved it). I am upgrading it and things... so... i decided (and made the mistake of) installing FreeBSD. It erased my Windows instalation (not a big deal cause it was NT and I hate NT) and installed some multi-boot loader thingy.

Now, I can't even get into my system's setup menu! The stupid multi-booter opens before the setup does...

All i want to do is format my Hard Drive and start fresh... but it doesn't work. First, I tried using a Win98 boot disk to format it... gave me a "Error reading fixed disk" error. Then, I tried and MS-DOS boot disk, and it gave me the same error... then I tried a full MS-DOS installation, but it couldn't find my CD-ROM drive (don't have one yet) and it terminated. THEN, i even went as far as opening the stupid case and checking if the Hard Drive was even there... and it was.

Is there any other way of formatting my HD??? I'm about to go get my giant magnet... lol. j/k (and for those of you that don't know, a magnet erases a HD... erases... but damages it.)

Please help me... i don't want to buy a new Hard Drive becuase of a FREE OPERATING SYSTEM! Sad

EDIT: I forgot to mention that the FreeBSD install didn't work either... it turns out that I have to d/l a bunch more files and I have a day life too... <_<
Post 13 Feb 2005, 03:44
crc

crc
Did you use fdisk (under DOS) to remove the freebsd partition(s)?
Post 13 Feb 2005, 04:27
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
DragonFire

DragonFire
It wouldn't let me open FDISK becuase i gave me that error...
Post 13 Feb 2005, 04:31
JohnFound

JohnFound
DragonFire wrote:
It wouldn't let me open FDISK becuase i gave me that error...

FDISK does not depend on any partition structure. If you can't start FDISK, maybe you have some hardware problems, or you have BIOS protection on MBR of the hard disk. Check so called "virus protection" in BIOS settings.

Regards.
Post 13 Feb 2005, 07:10
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number Reply with quote
DragonFire

DragonFire
Check "virus protection" in BIOs?

I can't get anywhere except to that Boot-Loader screen... i can't even get into CMOS...

I can still run my Operating System from a floppy however, maybe i can put in a function to format... could be hard tho.
Post 13 Feb 2005, 16:27
crc

crc
Quote:
I can't get anywhere except to that Boot-Loader screen... i can't even get into CMOS...

Getting to CMOS settings comes before the boot loader during the boot process...
Post 13 Feb 2005, 19:13
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
madmatt

madmatt
Had a similar problem with a linux installation. First of all put away that giant magnet! Second you may have to get into the bios (cmos) settings and change the order of the 'boot from device' sequence. You'll of course want to make the floppy drive [A:] the first in the sequence. Then you should be able to boot MS-DOS, and then do your repair work. Let me know how things go.
Post 14 Feb 2005, 00:58
DragonFire

DragonFire
Ok. It turns out that the option " 1. ?? " in the bootloader took me to a diagnostiv program. I found a format function there, so now my drive is empty... and i can't get to the diagnostics now either becuase it was erased. but i'll try and find a compaq diagnostics disk sometime.

Thanks for your help!
Post 14 Feb 2005, 21:37
flaith

flaith
try with Win2000 or XP cdrom, don't choose to install, but repair in console mode and use the fdisk command !
Post 14 Feb 2005, 23:06
Giedrius

Giedrius
Install FreeBSD again and delete all the partitions from the os. That's what I did with my linux, when something similar happened. And then I could make new FAT32 partitions and format it.

Post 30 Mar 2005, 12:00
f0dder

f0dder
Eek, did you say compaq? Iirc, they usually have some hidden partition with some "repair" stuff, you might have trashed that when you installed FreeBSD, or perhaps when doing the format.

But not being able to enter BIOS settings? O_o
Post 30 Mar 2005, 14:24
Giedrius

Giedrius
Isn't BIOS stored in ROM and can't be accessed?

Post 30 Mar 2005, 19:23
f0dder

f0dder
The BIOS is stored in rom (typically flash rom that can be updated), but some of those compaq machines has "other stuff" that's stored on a hidden partition. They should still have a BIOS setup, though...
Post 30 Mar 2005, 19:35
asmdemon

asmdemon
Compaq uses a non-dos partition on the harddrive as an extention of it's BIOS. It was before FlashBIOS became popular. it was a way of updating the bios sorta. Without it, you won't have the blinking cursor in the upper right hand corner of the screen, which is when you press F10 to enter setup, and thus, you won't have a BIOS menu. To get it back, you will need the Restore Disks that came for that version of Compaq.
Post 04 Apr 2005, 16:04
Giedrius

Giedrius
Poor him Razz I'm glad that my bios is stored somewhere on my mother board, not on my HDD Very Happy
Post 04 Apr 2005, 17:48

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: