flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > Pentium is RISC?

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
beppe85

beppe85
Hi, all!

I always have it take for granted that Pentium was a CISC architecture. But last semester my professor said Pentium was a RISC. Unfortunately I missed the opportunity to talk about this thing.

Pentium have a complex instruction set, complex addressing modes, a very weird format for instructions, etc...At least externally, it is CISC. I know that Pentium have a RISC core, so the RISCish instructions perform better than others, but I'm still confused a bit.

What do you know about this?

If you got some spare time, visit my blog: http://www.beppe.theblog.com.br/ and sign my guestmap
Post 08 Feb 2005, 21:51
f0dder

f0dder
The short story is that since pentium, x86 processors have basically had RISC-like cores, with CISC frontends - and the frontends do a lot of fancy things besides "just" translating x86->"internal risc format", like register renaming, instruction re-ordering, ...
Post 09 Feb 2005, 00:27
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
MCD

MCD
This is why, on "newer" PCs, simple CISC instructions like "lodsd" are even a bit slower than those 2 corresponding instructions:
Code:
mov eax,[esi]
add esi,4

What a strange world!

p.s.: loop-instructions are even worse!

-||__/
.|+-~
.|| ||
Post 09 Feb 2005, 14:03
beppe85

beppe85
So I'm still not have a RISC...I'm so sad...

Smile
Post 09 Feb 2005, 18:10
f0dder

f0dder
I don't really see why those instructions have to be slower, though - it should be possible for the x86 decoder to choose optimal microcode for those instructions too. But I guess there's hardwired logic, and some logic in microcode, to avoid too much hardwired logic? (that's the impression the AMD manuals give me, "directpath" vs. "vectorpath" instructions.)
Post 09 Feb 2005, 20:33
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
MCD

MCD
I found out these string instructions vs. other ones and loop instructions vs conditional jumps speed differences with my self coded time stamp counter benchmark. They all appear on Pentium II, Pentium III and AMD Athlon XP. I've posted it somewhere, long time ago in the DOS section, but i don'tm find it right now.
Post 10 Feb 2005, 19:00

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: