flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > could someone help fixing java applet? (+decompile/compile)

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Matrix

Matrix
Hy, i have this applet not so large, it has some general bugs its a chat client applet in java classes, could someone help fixing it ?

it slowly eats all memory on most computers, and it whould be nice to make it work from local machine, because its VERY slow to download every time if someone wants to chat.

you can take a look @ applet working here: http://chat.hu/index-frameset.html

Hy, i have this applet not so large, it has some general bugs its a chat client applet in java classes, could someone help fixing it ?

it slowly eats all memory on most computers, and it whould be nice to make it work from local machine, because its VERY slow to download every time if someone wants to chat.

you can take a look @ applet working here: http://chat.hu/index-frameset.html

thank you

i have removed attachments, chat hu is not cooperating in any way making their applet better.

Last edited by Matrix on 02 Feb 2005, 21:09; edited 2 times in total
Post 10 Dec 2004, 00:38
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ShortCoder

ShortCoder
It would help if you included the source files rather than the compiled .class files and .jar files. That is, unless, of course, you did not write this software but then I've got to ask why you want to fix someone else's bugs if that is the case, and especially without their source code.

Post 14 Dec 2004, 21:37
Matrix

Matrix
Sad well you're right, no sources because i did not know java,
as you can see, about 6000 people use that chat.hu continuosly, and has a few 100000 users already, its actually a chat applet, which anyone can use, but as i mentined before its annoying when computer runs out of memory, and i'm sure noone likes to download the applet every time.

actually i have a good decompiler too, i can even email it ~2MB, but as i mentioned before i'm not ace in java.

actually i'm not sticked to java, the protocol description whould be enough, so a program similar to Faim could be constructed.

thank you for any help
Post 14 Dec 2004, 23:49
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ShortCoder

ShortCoder
Well I am sorry. In most cases it is not legal to reverse-engineer software. The cases where it is legal would be if you wrote the software yourself, if you had permission from the owners of the software to do so, if you were reverse-engineering trojan software to make fixes for antivirus software to fix it, or if you were a government agency that had permission to do so. Maybe in your country this is legal regardless and if that is the case, please feel free to do as you please.Smile

In America, it would not be legal to do what you are asking, even though you mean no harm by it and, instead, wish to fix bugs. The best course of action is either to wait and see if the developers release a newer version with the memory leaks fixed, or you could tell the developers about the memory leak and ask them to look into it, hoping they will fix it, or you could see if the developers will give you permission to modify/fix the bug. Alternatively, you could ask the developers for permission to use the client's protocol in your own software and ask if they will supply you with information on the protocol. In short, if the developers do not wish to give you permission to help, you must honor that.

I apologize for not being of any help but anyone who does publicly help you do this will be at the same legal risks that white-hat crackers are. These are the ones who only try to break into people's machines to see which security bugs there are and then don't do anything else, but simply report that information to the people who own the machines that were broken into, possibly with a fix. It isn't legal but it isn't exactly immoral either. Such a person genuinely wishes to help, as do you. Unfortunately, the (United States) law does not see a difference between malicious cracking and benevolent cracking.

I hope the developers of this software will cooperate with you on this.

Post 16 Dec 2004, 05:16
Matrix

Matrix
nope, they do not cooperate in any way.
Post 02 Feb 2005, 21:10
windwakr

windwakr
Well, Its not illeagal if you use it for personal use is it? Why would it be illeagal to decompile a program fix an error and recompile it for your own personal use?
Post 16 Feb 2005, 18:54
typedef

typedef
yo bro? i can decomplie it for you 100% back to original source code.
Been there & done it.
Post 17 Sep 2011, 16:03
Overflowz

Overflowz
Have you tried this ?
http://java.decompiler.free.fr/
Post 17 Sep 2011, 20:20

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: