flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > Where does Java stand?

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
ShortCoder

ShortCoder
Where do you people think Java stands right now? I'm just curious.

I think the initial idea and concept was good but that it never really was implemented as well as it could have been and that it sort of died over time. True, you can still get a Java interpreter for many things. True, you can still write Java code for many things. However, I think it lost its base. Years ago I used to see lots of Java applets and such. Over time, I have seen fewer and fewer (almost none), all replaced by Shockwave Flash or a mix of JavaScript and ActiveX controls, which isn't portable, but people don't seem to care.

Also, in the domains of application programming which exclude web programming, I don't see Java being used much and it doesn't offer any benefits over other portable languages (Python is just as portable and produces faster programs, right?) Also, although I cannot see any benefits of C# over Java, it appears as if C# is becoming the trendy programming language of the moment. Has Java seen its better days or do you think it is still viable?

All I know is I am hearing about Java less and less and C# more and more. I do know that whatever you wanted to do in Java can almost certainly be done better with some other language or tool. Was Java merely another trendy language which is on the decline to historical footnote slowly but surely or am I very wrong about this?

I know companies are still hiring Java programmers but I have to wonder for how long and for how long they will keep them (before wanting to use the next "big thing" for no good reason at all other than to stay "up to date", whatever that means, and then port everything to the new language du jour)

Post 26 Nov 2004, 07:00
crc

crc
Back in the early days, Java wasn't that bad. It allowed small "applets" to be written and used across a few OSes, and had a clean design. Once Sun created Java 1.1, and started introducing the new API's (and discontinuing official support for the older ones) I abandoned it.

It still finds a fair bit of use in cellphones and PDA's these days though, and the apps running on them seem better assembled than the "desktop" Java apps of today.
Post 26 Nov 2004, 10:54
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
fasm9

fasm9
imho, bloated and insecure.

--
Good news, non-sun java is compatible with jdk 1.0!
http://www.classpath.org
Post 26 Nov 2004, 11:15
kake_zinger

kake_zinger
Where it really is useful is as web apps. Like oanda.com provides a java based currency trading platform for their clients. No matter what os you're using, you still can trade with the same java app. But Oanda is actually the only place where I've found that java actually makes some sense. Most often web pages and/or flash are more than enough.
Post 26 Nov 2004, 21:50
roticv

roticv
No place. Outdated technology. Slow and bloated.
Post 27 Nov 2004, 12:33
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Reply with quote
crc

crc
I think that Java, as a bytecoded VM, sucks, but the core language itself isn't bad. Certainly it's not worse than C++ from a language standpoint, and if compiled to native code, it could even prove useful.
Post 27 Nov 2004, 13:24
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
vbVeryBeginner

vbVeryBeginner
well,
what i really admired about java is the (Swing) UI, all its controls look really nice and professional Smile with the same color like our fasm board :p

the awt and windows xp luna simply sucks, they made those controls look like kids toy :!

talk about the language, i remembered i did self learn it last time. well, wonder why i leave it ... Confused
Post 28 Nov 2004, 04:44
ShortCoder

ShortCoder
Actually, now that I think about it, I do see one place where Java is still a good choice. If someone wishes to program software/games for either mobile phones or PDAs, Java is probably the way to go. However, I don't see much market for such software but if it is what you want, you probably should use Java.

Post 16 Dec 2004, 05:20
rea

rea
Mobiles, rerigerators and such new things Smile
Post 16 Dec 2004, 16:47
f0dder

f0dder
Quote:

Python is just as portable and produces faster programs, right?

Wrong, python is not nearly as portable as java. There's many platform-dependant extensions, and you sorta need those to do anything useful. JAVA has standardized APIs, as well as a "micro edition" for small devices (cellphones, and other things with limited CPU power).

JAVA will never have it's breakthrough for desktop applications, and I'm thankful of that. Especially since the microsoft VM disappeared, the other VMs are even slower. But it's still useful for some web applications (to make online banking more secure, for instance), and it seems a good choice for cellphones, PDAs and whatnot. I seems to be a pretty okay choice for embedded devices, with the JAVA micro edition and dedicated java CPUs.

Quote:

However, I don't see much market for such software but if it is what you want, you probably should use Java.

It's a market that I expect will become pretty huge with all those new (and cheap) java-supporting cellphones becoming common. There's lot of kids spending a lot of money to get silly picture-SMSes and MMSes already, and downloadable java games is the next big thing.
Post 16 Dec 2004, 16:57

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: