flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > fasm64

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Would you like to pay for a 64-bit version of fasm?
Yes
36%
 36%  [ 9 ]
No
64%
 64%  [ 16 ]
Total Votes : 25

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Tommy

Tommy
Hi guys! Smile

Reading the interview with Privalov, I started wondering what the fasm community think about fasm-64 getting released as a commercial project.

In my opinion, this is very fair! Privalov deserves to get paid for all what he has done for us! Wink So, I would not hesitate on buying a copy of a 64-bit version of the flat assembler. Thanks for great work, Tomasz!

Any opinions?

Best regards,
Tommy
Post 13 Aug 2004, 08:13
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
crc

crc
Well, I'd like for FASM-64 to be free, but I don't have a problem paying for it, assuming that updates are free (or at least discounted) Smile
Post 13 Aug 2004, 11:16
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
scientica
Retired moderator

scientica
I had an AMD64 today (I'm currently pirotizing a drivers license over a new computer) I'd volunteer to help develop fasm64, for free (because that's what I belive in, I think fasm will gain more polularity staying free - I know I wouldn't pay for an assembler (since it's my hobby, if it was my work it would be different scenario, as I'd be unsing fasm to make money - and then it would only be fair to pay for it)
Post 13 Aug 2004, 12:50
pelaillo
Missing in inaction

pelaillo
Fasm is priceless.

The benefit given by Fasm to my programming life cannot be expressed in terms of money.

I've learned a lot more studying Fasm sources than reading many books and using other compilers so I am well disposed to pay more money for Fasm than for every other book or program.

Currently I am not getting money out of programming and given so I try to offer Fasm the same kind of retribution (scaled to my capacities)

I will pay whatever amount is needed in order to have Fasm to continue to be free, open source and high quality software. (reasonable amount considering that I am by no means wealthy)
Post 13 Aug 2004, 13:09
Tommy

Tommy
Yes, I also want it to be an open-source project, but to me it's neither a problem to pay for it. Isn't it possible to release it as open-source at the same time as it is a commercial project? (I'm just thinking loud)... The best would be to have it like it is today, I don't gainsay that... But there should be an option to donate money to the project... I understand that Tomasz' motivation isn't on top... This project require time and effort...

~Tommy
Post 13 Aug 2004, 17:22
Betov

Betov
I don't really know if my view on this is right or wrong, but, if Thomasz wishes to make some money with this, it seems to me that he would make more money by selling something _aside_ the free Assembler, than by selling a 64 Bits version.

I mean that i suppose that there is some money to make, by selling, for example, a printed Documentation about x86, a printed FASM Manual, eventually with some CD(s), with everything available inside, and so on. It seems to me that many guys are interrested with buying Books (by the way, i don't understand _why_, but this seem to be...).

The only "risk" is when giving 1500 euros (certainaly way less in polland), or so, to a professional for having, say, the first 1000 Books (small books...). This would be a bit hard if the book were not sold, at the end, but i would be estonished if the attempt would fail.

Personaly, i did not do it, because i do not need money, but, if i was wanting some, this is exactely what i would do.

Betov.
Post 13 Aug 2004, 17:55
Tommy

Tommy
Good idea!
Post 13 Aug 2004, 17:57
decard

decard
I would also pay for FASM64 (although I really like having it free), but firstly I would need to buy 64-bit machine Smile.
I don't think it would be good for FASM. I know it from my experience: when I see a list of programs for given purpose, I would firstly choose the ones that are for free. And surely when 64-bit processors will be more common, there will be more freeware 64bit assemblers available.
Post 13 Aug 2004, 19:46
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
i have same opinion as scientica. I won't pay for it, if it doesn't bring me money and result can be obtained by another way (other compiler, in theory).
But anyway, i think i won't see anything 64bit for a long time, and also i haven't mastered (enough, never 100% of course) 32 bit stuff, so there is still what to do.
Post 13 Aug 2004, 20:04
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
coconut

coconut
i agree, id pay for a book on x86 or 64bit assembly by privalov including the assembler any day. 99% of the asm books out there are outdated badly
Post 14 Aug 2004, 00:38
tom tobias

tom tobias
Coconut modestly suggested that: "99% of the asm books out there are outdated badly." Sorry to disagree. Since there is no book that describes FASM, 100% of the books on asm programming are outdated. regards, tom Wink
Post 14 Aug 2004, 07:11
fasm9

fasm9
IMHO, this time is not adequated. it's the time when FASM and it's applications become successful enough. so many company using it for commercial purpose.

Then for company, take charge from them.
Then for private, give it free for personal use.

and About FASM book, I bet it will be the best seller among the assembly books! maybe 5th~8th edition? Smile

--
see microc/os embedded-os success story.
Post 14 Aug 2004, 11:04
mike.dld

mike.dld
If i'll have some money - i'll DONATE, not PAY. And I can DONATE so much money as I have and so frequently as I want.
Post 14 Aug 2004, 12:04
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number Reply with quote
proveren

proveren
Let's face it - 64-bit programming isn't something that is popular and I don't think it would get more famous later. If you are so confident with assembly that you want to start 64 (for some reason), you would be competent to modify the fasm source to enable 64-bit instructions. And if the official fasm64 is not free, soon free versions of the modified source and executable would be obtainable at various places. And having a commercial fasm would mess with the idea behind the simple assembler that it is - for example for protection it would write to the registry, not being in a small zip anymore etc...
We DO like fasm not only because it is free, but we would not like to see the "order" link next time we visit the web site (At least I dont think so). I learned many things one of which is that I can create much with the already released versions of FASM.
Post 15 Aug 2004, 15:50
HarryTuttle

HarryTuttle
I think there are two sides to discusion. The both are important.

1. Why?
2. For what?

******* 1 *******
the first side is replay to question "why".
Why the author build such a thing like fasm?
i suppose because:

programming is his interest, hobby, research project.
because he has had a sense and tried to do something better than other commercial assemblers and it was really better.

******* 2 ********
for fame, fun, respect, maybe he has going to come into being as a programmer in this world.
In my opinion he even without thos needs above loves to code assembler and explore new hardware and architectures.

-------so why for money--------
because codding takes a time and time means money.
Because just now programming become boring for him. (may be)
because everybody need the money for life.
because many not so good assemblers are not for free....

------what people think about, and why somebody agree with paying-----

of course nobody want to pay. this is all true!
somebody vote on pay for this because they give respect for Tomasz and his best work! Most of the peopl want to support this kind of projects because of their own occupation.

nothing is free but sometimes the price is invisible.
I wish you invisible prices Razz

Post 16 Aug 2004, 13:09
Tomasz Grysztar

Tomasz Grysztar
Perhaps you're right - using donations system for keeping it freeware it much better solution. BTW, when updating fasm's profile on SourceForge (http://sourceforge.net/projects/fasm/) I've noticed they provide me with a very nice donations system. If only PayPal allowed to send money to Poland...
Post 17 Aug 2004, 10:34
pelaillo
Missing in inaction

pelaillo
Privalov, why you don't create an international account in an online bank that accept transfers fron other banks and/or PayPal?
I heared about an account on "ing direct" with no cost.

Or maybe it is time to create an international foundation. Something modeled after "Apache Software Foundation" to protect our future of fasm coders...

http://www.apache.org/foundation/members.html
Post 17 Aug 2004, 13:03
comrade

comrade
ING Direct is free, and has a great interest rate (2.25%) on its savings account!

Post 17 Aug 2004, 15:18
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
Tomasz Grysztar

Tomasz Grysztar
Maybe the idea of creating foundation is good - it would be aimed at maintaining this website and messageboard, and also keeping the development of fasm active (well, documentation and tutorials too - if foundation had enough money from donations, it would pay the contributors for writing the tutorials, etc).
Post 21 Aug 2004, 16:48
fasm9

fasm9
Privalov wrote:
(well, documentation and tutorials too - if foundation had enough money from donations, it would pay the contributors for writing the tutorials, etc).

I think expecting donations is bad idea. AISB, doesn't write anything about tutorial, instead, writing book, sell them in book store.

--
Just my 2 cents
Post 21 Aug 2004, 22:07

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: