flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > Linux hardware advice: What to buy?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
Furs wrote:
It's also likely you'll find workarounds for common issues unless you use obscure exotic hardware. Such information is readily available by Googling, unlike Microsoft's useless tech support and noise you'll find because it's made for dummies who can't even use a mouse properly.
Well I am a dummy with Linux. And I don't want to have to search for workarounds again. I've been there and already wasted my time. And it seems to be a rite of passage of sorts to "learn" Linux. Sad
Furs wrote:
It's difficult to give revolution advice of "will it work?" when we don't even have the hardware in the first place and neither what exactly doesn't work if he does.
I realise that. I don't expect anyone to know beforehand. But there might be someone here that already has a system, or knows of someone with a system, that works fine. It's kind of a shot in the dark. No harm in trying.
Post 06 Jun 2017, 18:30
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
where the logic of expectation, ride on linux or etc stuffs must be compulsory smooth?

you certainly have better ride if you got linux or bsd friends, as they already went through, knew the road ahead, and guide you on a better path,
Post 06 Jun 2017, 19:19
YONG

YONG
JohnFound wrote:
@YONG - you may mix up GNU and Linux. ChromeOS is Linux, but AFAIK is not GNU.
I don't do mix-up's. Frankly, I don't know what you are trying to say.

Rolling Eyes Wink
Post 07 Jun 2017, 02:26
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
YONG

YONG
Furs wrote:
... I googled and it uses "Intel HD Graphics" so I'm surprised it has issues.
Exactly. There should not be any issues. But the truth is that there are some minor issues with the display driver.

Wink
Post 07 Jun 2017, 02:30
YONG

YONG
revolution wrote:
But there might be someone here that already has a system, or knows of someone with a system, that works fine.
There are many inexpensive Linux-based systems around. But most, if not all, of them do not meet your picky requirements.

Something will come up in 2023. Be patient!

Wink
Post 07 Jun 2017, 02:33
Furs

Furs
YONG wrote:
Exactly. There should not be any issues. But the truth is that there are some minor issues with the display driver.

Wink
To be fair, it might not be the driver or kernel. It could be the X server, in which case, you could find workarounds to edit configurations for it (or even update it, but I wouldn't, to me updating the kernel is easier since you can revert back very easily at boot). I don't know what exactly you mean with "minor issues" so I can't say for sure though.

Could also be the window manager (compiz is known to be full of bugs but for me it's working fine, I love the extended dynamic zoom though, for so many reasons, I could never go back to Windows without it). Then again I only have experience with XFWM and Compiz as WMs. Wink
Post 07 Jun 2017, 11:04
YONG

YONG
Furs wrote:
It could be the X server, in which case, you could find workarounds to edit configurations for it (or even update it ...
Yeah, just google the problem and then read/edit some hex codes! Sigh!

Wink
Post 07 Jun 2017, 11:14
YONG

YONG
Furs wrote:
I don't know what exactly you mean with "minor issues" so I can't say for sure though.
Those issues were pointed out in the aforementioned review. Check my earlier posts.

Wink
Post 07 Jun 2017, 11:16
TmX

TmX
revolution wrote:
And it seems to be a rite of passage of sorts to "learn" Linux.

Once the Linux system is already running correctly,
the learning curve is not that steep (assuming using "user-friendly" distros like Ubuntu or Fedora),
especially for technical users.

It's not always the case that a Linux system works automatically as expected after installation.
On my old laptop, I have to do some specific steps to get my WiFi working
(thank you, Broadcom Razz )

Once it solved, learning Linux is a matter of practice Smile
Post 07 Jun 2017, 13:37
YONG

YONG
TmX wrote:
[It's not always the case that a Linux system works automatically as expected after installation.
When the newly-installed system starts X Windows, a blank or totally-distorted screen comes up. So, something must be wrong with the resolution settings or the display driver. What should you -- as a lone, helpless user -- do to fix the problem, especially when you can't access the Internet?

I have been through such a predicament too many times -- I have lost track of the count, literally.

Wink
Post 08 Jun 2017, 02:24
TmX

TmX
YONG wrote:
What should you -- as a lone, helpless user -- do to fix the problem, especially when you can't access the Internet?

1. Find a working Windows system with internet access, and use it to look for the solution.
2. Ask another fellow Linux users. We had a Linux enthusiast group in the campus, so troubleshooting it is usually not a big deal.

Smile
Post 08 Jun 2017, 02:54
YONG

YONG
TmX wrote:
1. Find a working Windows system with internet access, and use it to look for the solution.
If so, shouldn't I just use that Windows system and save all the trouble? Rolling Eyes

Wink
Post 08 Jun 2017, 03:03
YONG

YONG
TmX wrote:
2. Ask another fellow Linux users. We had a Linux enthusiast group in the campus, so troubleshooting it is usually not a big deal.
Unfortunately, I am a loner.

Wink
Post 08 Jun 2017, 03:04
TmX

TmX
Well...

1. Try to meet with fellow Linux users on your area. Making new friends can be fun.
2. If you have a good coding skill (and lots of time), you can always hack the source code.
3. Last resort: stop using Linux & revert back to Windows Razz
Post 08 Jun 2017, 10:30
YONG

YONG
TmX wrote:
Well...

1. Try to meet with fellow Linux users on your area. Making new friends can be fun.
2. If you have a good coding skill (and lots of time), you can always hack the source code.
3. Last resort: stop using Linux & revert back to Windows Razz
Thank you for your advice. The last point is really meaningful.

Wink
Post 08 Jun 2017, 10:45
Furs

Furs
YONG wrote:
What should you -- as a lone, helpless user -- do to fix the problem, especially when you can't access the Internet?
If you can't access the internet then how would you even download the Linux ISO Rolling Eyes

This is pure retardation. I forgot how some people don't even truly ask for advice, they have their mind set and just ask retarded questions while self-justifying their beliefs or choices. So let's say your old PC broke and you can't access internet with it, you have no phone, no tablet, no access to an internet cafe or any other access to the internet. You're also a loner and can't ask anyone to help you with this. Please note that all of these must happen at the same time.

Yeah, in that case, I wouldn't even bother coming up with anything reasonable. Common situation these days indeed.

Maybe we should have 10 backups but then high chance they will all break at once too.

YONG wrote:
Unfortunately, I am a loner.
No you aren't, since you're posting on this forum interacting with people already. World is a big place, you know, you don't have to ask only people in "real life" Wink
Post 08 Jun 2017, 12:22
YONG

YONG
Furs wrote:
If you can't access the internet then how would you even download the Linux ISO Rolling Eyes
Back then, my "home" was quite far away from the library, and thus I could have free Wi-Fi access only once or twice a week.

I would usually download the Linux installation files and relevant documentation to USB flash drives. When I got back, I would try to do the installation offline. Most of the time, I would encounter lots of issues. The netbook era, to me, had been a really tough training period.

Wink
Post 08 Jun 2017, 13:43
Furs

Furs
You don't need WiFi to browse the internet for information only, if you have a phone with internet subscription (since it doesn't use much bandwidth). But if you don't even have that, then I don't see how that is any different than Windows? It's not like you can call Microsoft Tech Support or whatever without a phone or internet.
Post 08 Jun 2017, 16:56
YONG

YONG
Furs wrote:
... if you have a phone with internet subscription (since it doesn't use much bandwidth).
According to the following thread, I bought my very first smartphone in 2013. Back then, the netbook era was (almost) over, and I already switched back to Windows 7.

what handphone/cellphone you are using now?
https://board.flatassembler.net/topic.php?p=158998#158998

Wink
Post 09 Jun 2017, 04:42
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
if the idea is to get a taste of linux and using it daily, maybe a refurbished laptop or desktop already enough to reach such goal, less than 100 usd,

perhaps, we use to think, must get a perfect wife to understand how marriage works? Embarassed Laughing
Post 10 Jun 2017, 11:28

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: